7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Buying a used 04 civic VP

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ch2282 is an unknown quantity at this point
Buying a used 04 civic VP

Hey everyone! I am new to this forum so do not know if this is the right place to post this, so please give me the benefit of the doubt. I am looking to buy this 2004 honda civic VP 5 speed on CL. I test drove the vehicle and everyone seemed pretty good, I have a little knowledge about maintenance so I was able to check suspension, belts, etc. My only concern is that when I peaked under the car there was a minor leak under the oil pan. He has been using synthetic oil which makes me think it may be the oil that may have caused the leak. ( To my understanding switch from basic to synthetic can have a negative effect on your pan or gasket?) Mechanically I couldn't really find anything wrong with it. I am looking to pay $5k for this, can anyone tell me if it looks like a good deal or not. I ran both a carfax and an autocheck and it has one accident but other than that, the records looks good. The major worry is the oil pan and I would not be able to fully check until I get it lifted. And my last question is whether anyone knows how much usually oil pans run for this type of vehicle. I heard around the ballpark of $400-$500. I greatly appreciate any help and advice.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4129930344.html
Old 10-15-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying a used 04 civic VP

I've used nothing but synthetic on my 02 ex, but then again, it uses an RTV gasket instead of a regular gasket. If you buy it, I think I may have a spare D17A1 oil pan laying around. I'll hook it up for cheap.

Otherwise, you can pick up an new oil pan and gasket for $100 + shipping (# 4 and 7 on the drawing; comes out to $113 shipped))
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...LOCK+-+OIL+PAN

edit: however, the leak may not be coming from the oil pan (unless you found the actual source of the leak and traced it to the oil pan). Could be drippage from removing the oil pan, spillage while filling with oil and not cleaning it out thoroughly, leaks from other places, just to name a few possible sources.

car looks clean enough though. I'd check the rubber in the motor mounts/LCA bushings, too. Those are fairly frequent culprits. Do you know what the accident was?
Old 10-15-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ch2282 is an unknown quantity at this point

I may consider that offer if I do decide to buy it! Thanks. Not I am not 100% sure it is the oil pan. I only assumed b/c when I peaked under the car the oil pan was moist with half covered by oil. The slow oil drip was looking like it came directly from the pan area.

The accident report says it was in the rear middle so I assume it was a rear bumper which shouldn't be too much of a concern?

How do I check the rubber motor mounts? I checked the control arm bushings and it seemed to be in pretty good condition.
Old 10-15-2013
Registered!!

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
thetut is a glorious beacon of lightthetut is a glorious beacon of lightthetut is a glorious beacon of lightthetut is a glorious beacon of lightthetut is a glorious beacon of lightthetut is a glorious beacon of light

Your carfax says it has had an accident. He says in the ad that it has never had an accident. If he is lying about that then I wouldn't trust anything else he says.
Old 10-15-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

unless hes not the original owner and didn't know it was in an accident either way its still a gamble. alot of times on these cars the cam seals start to leak and need replacements that could be the source.