7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

New to Honda

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013
the Destroyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scoots is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile New to Honda

so i'm gonna have my hands on an 03 Civic DX, first honda.
any suggestions on first mods to do, without making it rice?
Old 10-11-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: New to Honda

Welcome to the forum!

Lower it
Wheels
Rear Sway
Strut tower brace
Poly Bushings
Intake
Exhaust
Lip kit (no body kits)

Or skip that stuff and go straight to a swap or turbo.
Old 10-11-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

A fullt built K20A2 with a turbo should fit the bill nicely for a first mod. Cuz everyone buying a 2003 civic has 20000 dollars to throw around

GolNat pretty much nailed it.
Old 10-11-2013
the Destroyer

what i was thinking was get a new sound system (still has stock speakers/deck), lower it, then maybe exhaust?

still don't know a whole lot about honda's. >_>
Old 10-11-2013
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

If you search this website long enough you will know more than most (quiet ezone lol) dealer service techs
Old 10-11-2013
the Destroyer

maybe cold air intake? i was looking into turbo kits, and they look a bit pricey.
i want to get some better power/handling without having to spend too much... (broke-*** student)
Old 10-11-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

what do you want from your car? Never mind what everyone else has done to their cars. What kinda look do you want? Stock but zippy? Doesn't look stock, but not overly done? Flashy as f*** (i.e. rice.. lol)? Really, it's the balance between form and function is what I'm asking. Do you want your car to be an awesome track car, or a sleek-ish looking daily driver?

After we address that, we can go a bit more specific. Dark or light? Specific color schemes? Specific mods/things you would like us to address?
Old 10-11-2013
the Destroyer

its gonna be my daily for the foreseeable future, so i want it to look good, without it being overdone. i'm allergic to rice.*
its an 03 DX sedan, 5spd, silver, would like to go dark (maybe a nice dark blue).

the major things i would like to do:

lower it, do the intake and exhaust, sway bars, lights (LED's if possible?), wheels, sound system, and maybe (waaay down the road) get a boost kit.

i'm also not super knowledgeable on DIY's, nor do i have many tools, but i'm willing to learn!

*not actually allergic to rice

Last edited by Scoots; 10-12-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Old 10-12-2013
the Destroyer

so, did a small amount of research, and figured out a few things i wanna do... (not in any particular order)

intake/exhaust (haven't decided if i want to do short ram+heat shield or Cold Air)
lower (springs or full coils?)
sound system
headlights (possibly smoked, depending on what color i pick)
taillights
paint
sway bar
wheels

probably gonna do sound system > cold air/ram intake > exhaust > lower > paint > wheels > tails > heads

any suggestions on something i should consider adding?

like i said, gonna be my daily, i just want it to have style and a bit of a kick.

Last edited by Scoots; 10-12-2013 at 01:52 AM.
Old 10-12-2013
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

personally, i'd lower before exhaust.

also, what kinda head/tail lights? Be careful with those mods, as they can lead into riceville.
Old 10-15-2013
the Destroyer

ill probably do tailpipe/cat/muffler > lower

not too sure on the lights. ill see how it looks after i lower.
Old 10-15-2013
Administrator
Administrator

If you were gonna fiddle with the lights, I'd stick to headlights only (or LED bulbs all around with an 04-05 tail light conversion). As far as headlights, do a morimoto retrofit in OEM or OEM style headlights, and maybe custom paint the bezel.
Old 10-15-2013

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
also, what kinda head/tail lights? Be careful with those mods, as they can lead into riceville.
^ this

Personally I'd be careful about any exterior mods. All the other stuff seems fine. I wouldn't lower it either but to each their own.

I would consider most of the tail light mods I've ever seen to be 'rice'. Every time I see a ricer I point and laugh right in their face.
Old 10-15-2013
Administrator
Administrator

While that's true, if done right, it can still look alright. I got a Kaminari KTR-II spoiler, and while many thought it looked hella ricey in the pics I posted, another member way back when saw it in person and it changed his mind.
Old 10-15-2013

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Let's see

Stock 99 vs xRiCeBoYx

in a 'rice' discussion

ROTFL

Generally I prefer the look of an unmolested exterior but there are definitely ways of doing things that even I think look good. The first time I saw sdaidoji's headlights I thought they looked really good.

Modding is a personal thing if you like what you've done then who cares what anybody else thinks. If you see people pointing and laughing at you... chances are it's 'rice' lol

That's why you are seeing both of us use words like 'personally' and 'prefer' in this thread.

Last edited by Stock 99; 10-15-2013 at 02:36 AM.
Old 10-15-2013
Administrator
Administrator

Damn. I got nothing.

Riceboy started as a nickname from my best friend's mom (my other mom in high school) because my '92 Toyota Paseo has a fatty exhaust leak that made it sound like a ricemobile

I will concur, though, modding is all about your own personal touch. Really, if it makes you happy, then screw what other people say. Haters gonna hate.
Old 10-20-2013
the Destroyer

any suggestions for coils? budget would be around $600.
Old 10-20-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Too hot in here.. You guys are burning the rice

Tein Basis are your cheap go to coilovers But.. they are about 800 and you won't find anything worth buying for a penny cheaper.
Old 10-20-2013
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

You could get a nice used set of Progress, Tein Flex or Buddy Clubs. You just may have to be patient and wait a little while.
Old 10-24-2013
the Destroyer

so i'm seriously considering a cold air intake, suggestions on where to get one/what kind? i'm in Vancouver BC.

someone told me to look on craigslist, but i can't find anything.
Old 10-25-2013
Administrator
Administrator

While I like my AEM V2, it is quite spendy (~$300)

Cheaper option: buy an ebay pipe and swap the filter for an AEM dryflow. D17's don't quite respond very much to bolt on mods.

also, as far as coilovers go, save up a bit more and expand your budget by a few hundred bucks.
Old 10-25-2013
Prelude Owner

I enjoy my Injen CAI. I bought it used for $100 on eBay. They go for around $220 new. May have some fitment issues with eBay brand ones.

Last edited by GolNat; 10-25-2013 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-25-2013
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by GolNat
May have some fitment issues with eBay brand ones.
That's true. Since most people here go for SRI's, fitment issues are usually minimal.
Old 10-25-2013
the Destroyer

http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-05-CIVIC-ES-EM2-DX-LX-JDM-MANUAL-COLD-AIR-INDUCTION-INTAKE-FILTER-PIPE-SILVER-/390638142725?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2003%7CMake%3AHonda%7CModel%3ACivic%7CSubmodel%3ADX&hash=item5af3d90505&vxp=mtr
$50... something doesn't seem right...
Old 10-26-2013
Prelude Owner

That seems to be the standard eBay price for an intake. Looks like a 2 piece design so if the cold air section doesn't fit good you can always just use the SRI part.
Old 10-26-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

here is the bottom line an intake won't do **** for performance on a DX or any civic for that matter neither will an exhaust system these cars are for economy purposes and anything other then a turbo or engine swap will not gain you much if any added hp especially if your on a tight budget. your only real option for added performance is suspension and tire upgrades. it mite be slow but you can make these cars ride on rails with the rite suspension. if you really insist on an intake and exhaust buy the ebay intake but for the love of god replace the filter AEM is your best bet. as for exhaust don't buy a canister type those are to loud and rice get an oval type like Vibrant Street Power or Apexi WS2. vibrant is your best bet since there around 90 dollars not including installation price.
Old 10-27-2013
the Destroyer

Originally Posted by lowlife9
your only real option for added performance is suspension and tire upgrades.
any benefit to strut/sway bars?
Old 10-28-2013
Administrator
Administrator

Yep. BUT, get a single piece strut bar. None of that 3 piece ebay business, even though they're like $50.. You can find a used Neuspeed front upper strut bar for probably $100, and I think there are a few in the for sale forum selling for just about that price.
Old 10-28-2013
Prelude Owner

Don't use eBay junk for any of your suspension stuff. It's not worth the risk of it failing, and it was never engineered so it never actually helps anything.

For rear sway either get an RSX rear sway from a junk yard or get a Progress rear sway. Front sway is optional, I think the stock one works perfect as it is along with an upgraded rear bar.
Old 10-30-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i don't thnk the DX comes with a stock front sway ???. as for your question the front upper strut bar is marginal for performance the rear swaybar on the other hand will make a world of difference especially if you don't have one on the DX.

Quick Reply: New to Honda