7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

2002 Civic Engine Replacement Selection Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013
krs
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
krs is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 Civic Engine Replacement Selection Help

All,

My son has a 2002 Honda Civic Lx with a 1.7 non-VTEC engine without EGR.

It threw a rod this week, so we are looking for a replacement engine, but all I am seeing are engines with EGR.

Suggestions? Can we use an EGR engine and seal it off? Use the head from the existing engine, or ???

Insight would be appreciated.
Old 09-28-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2002 Civic Engine Replacement Selection Help

The US EX (or Canada: Si) engine (D17A2) got EGR and VTEC. And higher compression.

I think you need a D17A1, from a DX/LX/VP

Check this site http://www.car-part.com/

You could probably swap the head, but I really think your head may need completely stripped and cleaned if the bottom end trashed a bearing along with the rod. Metal debris goes all throughout the oil passages when that happens, and can ruin all your work later on..
Old 09-28-2013
krs
Registered!!

Thanks for the link!

I have seen a couple of posts (one here, on another forum) that makes it sound like one can use the EGR engine and just not plug it in. Is that correct?
Old 09-28-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Probably, but what about the VTEC that will be on the engine?
Old 09-28-2013
krs
Registered!!

Looking at the non-vtec, egr engine (VIN 1, 6th digit). with or without EGR.

My son's car is without, but there is an engine with EGR that is nearby at a reasonable price and miles.
Old 09-28-2013

Are you in the US?

If that's what you found, then IMO leaving the valve unplugged would likely work just fine.

I have seen a blockoff plate that would go in place of the EGR valve, if you feel so inclined.
Old 09-28-2013
krs
Registered!!

Yes - in the US (St. Louis area).
Old 09-28-2013

Odd. I believe EGR and VTEC always go together on a 01-03 car, or it has neither. Never one without the other.
04-05 all versions got EGR though, while only EX got the VTEC.

So you must have found an 04-05 engine.
That would explain it. Should work just fine.

LKQ has been good to us, I'm not all that far from you.
Old 09-28-2013
krs
Registered!!

The link you provided shows 1.7L VTEC and base, with the base having EGR or not EGR - at least for 2002...
Old 09-28-2013

I was looking in the factory parts catalog. EGR is shown for "EX only" for 01-03. Sometimes it's a real scavenger hunt to try to look through several model years and compare part numbers.

The auto recyclers typically use the Hollander Interchange Guide, which is not the same as a new parts catalog.
Old 09-29-2013
krs
Registered!!

I have done a bit more looking, and have more knowledge, but am now more confused!!

What I am looking for is what engine options I can put in my son's 2002 Honda Civic, which has a base engine, non-EGR, 6th digit of the VIN being 1. I want an engine that one can pretty much swap without changing out other "stuff".

Can I put in a VTEC engine and meet the above criteria? I assume all VTEC engines will clearly have VTEC stamped on the top rather than just "Honda"...

Further assistance and insight would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-29-2013

IMO You need the non-VTEC engine, does not matter if it has EGR or not since that can be changed/swapped/disabled as needed.

Without changing other "stuff" (PCM, wiring harness, maybe manifold and cat, etc.), the answer is a compatible replacement engine, which should be a D17A1 (01-05). Same engine (block and head) you have in there now. (Regardless of how complete any used engine arrives to you, you are only buying the block and head.)

The Hollander Interchange Guide should give similar info, but that guide assumes that you can and will strip the engine of external parts and reinstall your original parts onto it in order to get it to work for your application if necessary. This isn't always necessary for some, but very necessary for others.
(Like, "Yeah that small block Chevy will work in the Nova, but you have to change the manifolds and carburetor because it came out of an Impala", or something like that.)
And there can always be errors and omissions.

A VTEC engine would need either a different PCM and wiring, or a standalone controller and wiring in order to make use of the feature. That engine also has higher compression than your original, so the PCM may need to match to the engine anyway.

Find your engine code here:

Look for the same engine code on the replacement unit.

Read more about the D series engine variations: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_D_engine
Old 09-29-2013

VTEC solenoid location, since wiring covers and valve covers can be lost and removed

Name:  vtecwire.jpg
Views: 1939
Size:  49.4 KB

Name:  VTECsolenoid2-1.jpg
Views: 1897
Size:  86.6 KB
Old 09-29-2013
krs
Registered!!