7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Shifter issue will not start as if in drive

Old 09-05-2013
Chris Brooks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
opc167 is an unknown quantity at this point
Shifter issue will not start as if in drive

Help! 2002 Civic EX automatic. The issue is sporadic where it will not crank over(power to the starter) as if the shifter was in one of the drive gears. I’ve completely tested out the brake switch on the shifter that unlocks the sifter when the brake is engaged, in addition to any other components at the shifter I think.

As designed, if the shifter is in reverse/drive, you can turn the key on and all power is on the dash, but until you place the shift in park or neutral, it will not engage fire to the starter. This is what is happening sporadically when it is “ IN” park or neutral. It seems to be worse when it’s up to temp after driving.

Is there a solenoid on the transmission side (or cable) that I need to look at? This is a 2002 Civic auto EX. Thank you
Old 09-05-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shifter issue will not start as if in drive

I'd attach a test light to the small wire on the starter.
The test light bulb should light and the starter should crank each time the key is turned, right?

If at any point it lights up but the starter does not crank the engine when you turn the key, then the starter is at fault.
If no light and no crank, then there is an electrical problem elsewhere.

Or just wait until it quits, and smack the starter with a hammer while someone else tries to crank it. If that makes it work, it's the starter.