7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

when buying a timing belt??

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013
7th.gen-1st.timer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mike-01 is an unknown quantity at this point
when buying a timing belt??

Ok so I'm new to Hondas I have an 01 civic coupe. That I've basically borrowed the problem down to can sensor crank sensor or timing belt so I'm just going to replace it all. Now when I go to buy the new timing belt is there any specific brand that last longer or is "better" and Feel free to add any helpful hints because like I said this is my first Honda and I do intent on building the motor one day.
Old 09-01-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: when buying a timing belt??

OEM parts are always best. With sensors especially! I would go OEM for belt also.

If your east coast buy parts from Majestic Honda. Just google them.
Old 09-01-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto on factory parts here.

If a timing belt lets go for any reason, it's gonna cost you a LOT more than just a belt.
Do ya feel lucky, punk? Do ya?
Old 09-01-2013
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ezone
Do ya feel lucky, punk? Do ya?
[autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=1432& transactionid=1378095943-98150162141&posted_by=_www.civicforums.com&youtube _video_id=8Xjr2hnOHiM[/autostream]
Old 09-02-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

also get the water pump, just in case? they might live enough for two, but i did not want to know if they would.

it's supposed to live 100k miles, both water pump and timing belt. beyond that it's luck of the draw and car usage.

head gasket is a scary item too, usually they start causing overheat/loss of coolant at about 100k too, but then so many comes back with other issues after changing it...

anyway, it usually ends up in a large job, so i did all of them at same time. naturally i had time to budget and buy and plan when to do it, so easier for me to say.
Old 09-02-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

honda is not in the belt making business they get there belts from other companies here in the US there re-branded GATES corporation which can be purchased at any parts store like NAPA. but if having a honda logo on the box makes you feel better then get honda.
Old 09-02-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking of the water pump and tensioner.......

You're right about the timing belt though, as Gates isn't the only manufacturer. Unitta was another brand making timing belts for Honda that I saw on our shelves.

Noted in this post: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4588206
Old 09-03-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

my water pump.timing belt,timing belt tensioner,serpentine belt and valve gaskit are all from NAPA. they were replaced at 90,000 miles my current mileage is 158,000 with no issues.