7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

I broke something. Name this part.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got2run5 will become famous soon enoughgot2run5 will become famous soon enough
I broke something. Name this part.

I was using the DIY for spring install and noticed once I got everything out that some type of joint seems to have disconnected. The part circled in red-the boot part seperated from the bolt part. First-what is it, Second-how do I fix it?

Name:  Part.png
Views: 26
Size:  402.3 KB[/URL]

Edit: Here is an actual pic

Name:  part2.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  57.4 KB
Old 06-20-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: I broke something. Name this part.

Front sway bar end link.

Buy a new one. Might as well do both

**I replaced mine and it really helped with the steering feel. Made the front end tighter.
Old 06-20-2013
Registered!!

What a pain. I can't do anything on this car without breaking something else. How am I supposed to get it in there? Right now I can't get the seperated cap over the top because it seems the sway bar is pushed down now. How about putting a jack underneath the sway bar to try to move it up an inch or so? Is this something that WAS broken/is it possible to break this during a strut install?
Old 06-20-2013
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

It was probably broken or weak. I had to use a bar to bend the sway bar down. My end links had 150k miles of rust. They were a PITA to remove.

If you have an impact gun they come off easier.
Old 06-20-2013
Registered!!

The parts stores must love me, I just keep finding things to replace Might need a new tie rod end too because I was stupid and pounded on it a little bit when it wouldn't pop out.
Old 06-20-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

or you could just remove the swaybar all together.alot of people prefer the feal better without it.
Old 06-21-2013
Prelude Owner

^ forgot about that. The ride is softer without the sway bar. It will give you more oversteer also. I rode a couple days without one but after I installed new ones the steering was so much more crisp and responsive. May have been from going from no sway to having one again that made it feel better.

I ended up needing new tie rod ends also. I put pep boys ones on there and they are already shot. Ill be putting on either ingalls or moog when I replace them again. They should hold up better to a lowered suspension.
Old 06-21-2013
Registered!!

Supposedly Oreilly's offers some that have a lifetime warranty. Not sure how they can make money off that but I think I'll try it out. They're much more friendly and helpful than the local Advance Auto I always shop at.
Old 06-21-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

When you install the end links make sure both wheels are in the same position, either both on the ground or both in the air. If you only have one side jacked up and other is on the ground it will be difficult.

I believe the threaded bolt on the end link also has a place for a hex key on the end. Use a hex key to keep the bolt from spinning and tighten the nut with a wrench.
Old 06-21-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

remove endlink from the other side and the sway should move freely...
Old 06-21-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

you could give these a try
http://www.corsportusa.com/store/cat...ducts_id=11594
Old 06-21-2013
Registered!!

Put a wrench on the nut and it was so rusted that I almost rounded the edges on the first try. Decided I didn't want to have a fun time cutting off the bolt, so found a local shop that would install it for $20. Call me lazy, but I can deal with that. Just have to put the rest of my suspension in first.