Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

No pressure to clutch pedal

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jsubskustomz is an unknown quantity at this point
No pressure to clutch pedal

I started off having to manually pick up my pedal with my foot and they pedal would work fine. Changed the master and slave cylinder, bled everything and now no pressure to pedal at all. Paid a mechanic to fix it, he was confused and had no clue and still took my money. Please help
Old 06-15-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: No pressure to clutch pedal

Did you bleed it completely? My slave failed on me and it took a lot of pumping after it was replaced to get it to build pressure again.

Did you check for a leak in one of the lines?
Old 06-15-2013
Registered!!

I replaced the clutch hose, the line from the hose to the slave also. And I have bled it completely to my knowledge. How long did it take to do yours?
Old 06-15-2013
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I dont remember exactly but I remember thinking that something else was wrong because it was taking so long. It eventually started to get hard and finally held pressure. If you didn't bench bleed the master it will take longer when you do it in the car.
Old 06-15-2013
Registered!!

What is the best way to bleed it?
Old 06-15-2013
Prelude Owner

Fill up master cylinder all the way up with fluid. Also fill a bottle (soda bottle) with brake fluid (about an inch). Open the bleeder valve on the slave. Put a piece of hose on the end (fuel line works). Place the other end of the hose in the soda bottle. Make sure the end of the hose is completely submerged in the fluid you don't want any air to get in. Then have someone start pumping the clutch. As the fluid goes away in the master fill it back up with new brake fluid. It should eventually get hard if you don't get any air in and there are no leaks.

Make sure the hose stays submerged in the fluid the whole time!
Old 06-16-2013
Registered!!

about how long did it take? 30 min? a couple hours?
Old 06-16-2013
Prelude Owner

I remember it being under 30 minutes but my wife things it was longer. She was the one pumping the clutch. I had to fill the master bottle twice I think.
Old 06-16-2013
Registered!!

well we worked at it for about an hour, filled the bottle about 10 times and still nothing
Old 06-16-2013
Prelude Owner

Only other thing I can think of is if you got a bad part.

Did you get an OEM slave and master?
Old 06-16-2013
Registered!!

beck arnley slave and i have put 3 different master cylinders from my work (O'Reillys) on it
Old 06-17-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

Two things come to mind. First, is the slave cylinder mounted correctly? I'm not sure on the Civic but on other cars I have seen where it is possible to rotate the slave cylinder 180 degrees and mount it with the hose at the top and the bleeder at the bottom. The bleeder valve has to be at the highest point to get the air out or you will have a pocket of air.

When you bleed brakes or a clutch you need to open the bleeder valve as someone is pushing down on the pedal and close it before they hit the bottom. The valve is left closed while they let the pedal back up forcing it to draw fluid from the master. If you leave the bleeder open and push the pedal up and down you may end up with a bubble that does not get forced out.
Old 05-27-2014
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

I replaced my clutch slave cylinder and had a lot of difficulty bleeding afterward. I bought this: http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-f...der-92924.html pneumatic brake bleeder for $28.
Followed instructions and bled all the air, clutch pedal pressure returned and it feels great!
Old 05-27-2014
*watches temp gauge like a hawkboss* :D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of light

Fill res.

Pump pedal a few times.

Hold down and have helper crack open bleed screw.

Repeat until no air comes out.

--

If you have a bit more money, get a pneumo bleeder like a MityVac. The reason you use them is just to pull the fluid into the system. Then once you can get pedal pressure, THEN bleeding can happen. The filling part can take a long time with just the pedal method, where it can be done in 10 mins with the MV.
Old 05-27-2014
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

I've seen a lot of posts about dead clutch pedals after slave cylinder repairs. The line from the master to the slave is long and has lots of curves. If you have a good compressor, the pneumatic bleeder is the way to go. Took about 30 seconds of bleeding to get the bubbles out and pressure back. I had pumped the clutch pedal with a line and jar for about an hour yesterday and the pedal was just starting to get a little pressure.
If you don't have a compressor that can handle 90-120 psi, go for the manual pump. But for certain, the clutch can be a pain to bleed...
Old 05-27-2014
Registered!!

[QUOTE=kinakoes2;4664776]Fill res.

Pump pedal a few times.

Hold down and have helper crack open bleed screw.

Repeat until no air comes out.

-Yes, did that for an hour. Spent $28 on a pneumatic vacuum bleed kit and did it by myself in 60 seconds. I hope to help others so they don't fart around for an hour with a helper when they can do it by themselves with the right tool.
Old 09-26-2019
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tracecross30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GolNat
Did you bleed it completely? My slave failed on me and it took a lot of pumping after it was replaced to get it to build pressure again.

Did you check for a leak in one of the lines?
I have similar issues with my 02 civic..i just replaced the clutch and reinstall everything in the reverse order and when i got done my clutch pedal doesn't have any pressure to it..i took the tranny off again to make sure everything was ok but still nothing. I bled the line using half a bottle of brake fluid and still nothing changes..i dont have any leaks from my master cylinder or slave cylinder. You have any idea what could causing this?

Last edited by Tracecross30; 09-26-2019 at 05:04 PM. Reason: More information
Old 09-27-2019
Super Moderator

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,298 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Sounds like air in the clutch line. Did you have someone help when bleeding? Should be bled similar to brake lines, one person pushing the clutch while another is opening/closing the bleed valve.

When I bled mine the other person had to pull the clutch back up a few times before enough air was bled out of the line.
Old 09-27-2019
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tracecross30 is an unknown quantity at this point

No, it was only me doing it.i got a bottle with about 2 inches of brake fluid in it with a tube insert all the way to the bottom and the other end on the bleed valve and open the valve and keep pumping the pedal and adding fluid so it don not run dry. I bled it for about 25 minutes until i can see no air in the line. Its the same way i did my brakes.
Old 08-29-2021
Registered!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ninjaturkey is a jewel in the roughNinjaturkey is a jewel in the roughNinjaturkey is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jsubskustomz
I started off having to manually pick up my pedal with my foot and they pedal would work fine. Changed the master and slave cylinder, bled everything and now no pressure to pedal at all. Paid a mechanic to fix it, he was confused and had no clue and still took my money. Please help
I tried hand pumping and another person pumping the pedal without success. I wound up using a Power Bleeder with the euro attachment. One person held it on to the reservoir to keep the pressure even, the other pumped it to 12 psi and opened the bleeder.

​​​​​​​Since I use old threads regularly to figure out how to fix things, hopefully this thread necro is forgivable and useful.