7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Auto Transmission woes...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013
I am Epic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted
Re: Auto Transmission woes...

Originally Posted by NissanNismoZ
Alright guys. Good news. I got a 30k mile transmission through JDM.
Bad news is, it's slipping/shifting hard when it does slip. It's like a slip KICK.
But it'd holding it's speed, and it seems like everything is starting to shift a little easier..BUT.
My D3 light doesnt come on anymore and it's almost as if the shifter skips it and goes into 2.
Right now, it seems to do the slip KICK while accelerating. Reverse is fine. Once i'm up to speed it's fine.
What I'm asking is..is this because the transmission just needs driven and everything loosened up?
Or is it because my linkage is now...funny? It's not the same way it was, that's for sure. Thanks! I made sure and used HONDA DW-1 fluid.
Originally Posted by NissanNismoZ
Alright guys. Good news. I got a 30k mile transmission through JDM.
Bad news is, it's slipping/shifting hard when it does slip. It's like a slip KICK.
But it'd holding it's speed, and it seems like everything is starting to shift a little easier..BUT.
My D3 light doesnt come on anymore and it's almost as if the shifter skips it and goes into 2.
Right now, it seems to do the slip KICK while accelerating. Reverse is fine. Once i'm up to speed it's fine.
What I'm asking is..is this because the transmission just needs driven and everything loosened up?
Or is it because my linkage is now...funny? It's not the same way it was, that's for sure. Thanks! I made sure and used HONDA DW-1 fluid.
What do you mean by slip/kick? How many rpms does it slip and in what gears?
Old 07-15-2013
Registered!!

NissanNismoZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually..it seems like it isnt slipping..its just shifting later than usual..but, if it DOES slip out, i can move the shifter some, and it'll go right back into gear, but shift HARD.
Is it normal for a transmission that's sat so long to shift like this? Is there any way to adjust the linkage right? Something isn't right..because it just seems to depends on where the shifter is at..
Old 07-15-2013
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

How can you tell that it shifts later? at what rpms? in all gears? The first shift point is at 2500rpms with light throttle than the next one is around 2800rpms. This is on a flat road.
Old 07-15-2013
Registered!!

Alright..well.. I can give more details about the situation now..coming home from work tonight:
I drove it easy pulling out, as i dont want this transmission damaged by slipping...but.
Driving down a hill and accelerating lightly, it started slipping with no hopes of getting it into gear, even wobbling the shifter. So i pull to the side of the road and pull out, and it gets up to 4-5k stuck in one gear, going around 20mph~
Like it is stuck in that one gear..so i stop again on flat ground and PUNCH it. It pulls out hard aand fast, kicks into 2nd.. then slips into 3rd and automatically locks itself into 4th...
So it seems like the harder i drive it..the better hopes I have at going?
Got gas at a gas station, put it into what I thought was drive (put it where drive is supposed to be, just between D and D3) and it felt like it pulled out in 2nd or 3rd. Very sluggish. I get to a stop light and PUNCH it again and im going! At what feels like normal shift points, then it slips in 3rd then locks itself into 4th. Like it's a safe mode or something? It just feels like its...stuck? in a gear?
But it'd random to which gear is does it in..its just most of the time its when im letting off the throttle as i approach my speed limit...
and sometimes its like I can flat out floor it and itll get up to 4-5k rpm in 1st (because im pushing it so hard) then itll literally go through 2nd immediately to 3rd then 4th and lockup the torque converter. It makes no sense..
Thanks!
Im really hoping I didn't just dump 1k into this car and the new transmission be bad..
Old 07-20-2013
Registered!!

Lets ignore that. Adjusted the linkage and now it's fine, shifting hard..but fine. and now...D3 doesn't work..and when in D3 it lights up as 2.
Im guessing I need to adjust the linkage a little more?
I do need to know..What transmissions were in these? This transmission came out from a Civic EX ..not sure of the year, but I know it's around 01-05. It seems to be acting normal.. I just don't get why my light keeps coming on and throwing a GEAR RATIO INCORRECT code.
It's not slipping!!
Do I need a new transmission computer to match this one? I guess from this hard shifting it broke my axle, so I had the joys of having it towed again..So I called up the transmission people and they told me to change the solenoids..could this be the problem? I'm having the guy swap them for me since it's back at his garage..
I'm just looking for some light on this situation..as I can't afford to send the transmission back if it's the wrong tranny..if that's even possible.
and if i try to drive it hard..it likes to shift around 4k rpm then immediately shift up and up then lock the TC. It's like its locking itself down..
Thanks guys.
Old 07-20-2013
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

As far as I know the incorrect gear ratio is the kiss of death for these transmissions. ezone might be able to elaborate on that, but that's what I've seen posted. I'm assuming you're getting a P0730. Edit: Never mind. This was already addressed earlier in the thread. Sounds like it needs a rebuilt tranny if that code keeps popping in accordance with what ezone said earlier.

Last edited by Matt_75; 07-20-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-20-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matt_75
As far as I know the incorrect gear ratio is the kiss of death for these transmissions. ezone might be able to elaborate on that, but that's what I've seen posted. I'm assuming you're getting a P0730.
Not a death code yet because the computer thinks it is in another gear than what it really is in.....I think..OR the computer is programmed to recognize different shaft speeds than what is being produced by the new trans. Some of these figures are calculated/inferred by the PCM instead of being generated by signals within the trans sensors. Needs to figure out the linkage/detent/gear position/range sensor problems first.

IF the P, R, and N all light up in the correct shifter positions, the linkage is probably OK.

Problem now is the D, D3, and 2 lights are all controlled by the PCM. Screwed?

I have NO idea if the EX PCM can be used with an LX trans (or vise-versa, whatever)... This alone MIGHT be the reason it sets a gear ratio error code, ratios are not the same between the transmissions AFAIK. I am only guessing, I have no experience with these mix-n-match swaps. At work, that trans would have been sent back if it was wrong before the car was ever pushed in. We don't have time for this sort of crap, and customers expect it to work right.
as I can't afford to send the transmission back if it's the wrong tranny..if that's even possible.
You may have boned yourself.
Old 07-20-2013
Registered!!

Alright..Had a new CV axle put in since mine snapped. and had him adjust the linkage accordingly. The transmission is apparently from a EX Civic as well. So I contacted JDM where they guarantee the transmission, as they asked me the model of Civic, trim and gear positions.. So they told me to swap the solenoids over to the new transmission (they said because it's from a japanese car..) so I did it. and WOW.
It's shifting so smoothly. Literally, I accelerate and you can barely feel it shift. It downshifts like its supposed to again. YAY.
But, I was accelerating out of the driveway to the garage up a hill, and had to go slow, and it slipped just enough to cause the CEL to come back on. No biggie, I'm not expecting it to be perfect until everything in the tranny works loose. I just know, I can take off and drive it hard (wanted to do a final test) and it's shifting so much better than the old tranny. Thanks guys for all the input, I'll keep you posted but, so far, so good.
Old 07-23-2013
Registered!!

So with the new transmission doing so well, I decide to try out (D3)...
Keep in mind my engine light hasn't came back on in the 130mi i've put on this transmission already, since swapping the solenoids..and it's as if it's in neutral and immediately throws the engine light.
So now my question being..with this being out of another 7th gen Civic EX..with it now shifting so perfectly....what gives? (D3) feels like another neutral and I was too worried to try out (2). It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't use (D3) a lot..especially with there being so many hills along my commute.
By now, I'd expect if it were the wrong transmission, it would have thrown the engine light code for incorrect gear ratio..but it hasn't. In fact, I find myself in the same RPM ranges as the old transmission..so I just dont get why (D3) doesn't work...
Thanks! This is my last concern!