7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help! Just bought used 01 Civic!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hemplacrosse4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Help! Just bought used 01 Civic!

Hello everyone new member here, I'm trying to get into working on my car on my own and learn from you guys! I just bought the car last month and have done the usual maintenance stuff, changed oil, changed transmission oil, spark plugs, valve adjustment. Now for the weird stuff that is happening that I have NO IDEA what it could be and would really appreciate any kind of input.

After driving for 3000 miles my oil was extremely low but not leaking. So I did another oil change MAYBE only a liter came out, so it was extremely low. What might be happening to the oil? Is the car just burning it all?

The other problem I am having is a small vibrating noise that is noticeable when acceleration, that is why I did the valve adjustment TWICE and still it wont go away. I got some stuff from AutoZone that was suppose to reduce valve vibration but that didn't make any difference so I do not know what else to do to fix this problem.

Again any input would mean a lot thanks for taking the time to read my post!
Old 05-17-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help! Just bought used 01 Civic!

Is the car just burning it all?
If it is not leaking out, then it is burning it.
What did the spark plugs show???

YOUR job is to stay ahead of it and keep the oil filled. If that means checking the oil every time you get gas, then that is what you need to do. The owners manual says to do this anyway, so do it.

One quart per 1000 miles is acceptable oil consumption rate. If you don't refill it, it will be nearly empty by 3000 miles.

How many miles on it?
Lifetime of cheapo discount oil change places?

that is why I did the valve adjustment TWICE and still it wont go away. I got some stuff from AutoZone that was suppose to reduce valve vibration but that didn't make any difference so I do not know what else to do to fix this problem.
It probably isn't valves. Snake oil won't fix it. Diagnose it right and fix it right.

HINT: If you ran it out of oil, it could well be catastrophic bearing damage noise. Have an experienced pro listen to it first hand.
Old 05-18-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hemplacrosse4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Help! Just bought used 01 Civic!

Thanks ezone for the advice, I guess this sounds like this is out of my hands to try to fix on my own so taking it to the shop soon is probably going to be necessary.