7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Engine won't turn over - FI ECU fuse blowing

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marty McFly is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine won't turn over - FI ECU fuse blowing

2004 Honda Civic Si (Canadian): The engine turns over but will not start. This happened in my driveway, 30 minutes after driving it with no problems, 30 km after filling up the fuel tank. I've read many of the threads here but none address my problem. The 15A Fuse #6 "FI ECU" under the hood keeps blowing when I turn the key to position II or ON. When I remove the PGM-FI relay #1 (maroon) behind the glove box and turn the key the fuse doesn't blow (this was because several people reported this relay as being problematic). I tested the relay with a 9V battery and it seems to work fine (it clicks and there is continuity between the 2 outlet pins). I reinstalled the relay. I disconnected all the injectors, the MAP sensor, and a few other plugs that were in the same area under the hood, turned the key and the fuse still blew. I reconnected everything. If I remove ONLY the fuse for the fuel pump (#17 under dash) and turn the key the fuse does not blow. This would lead me to believe that something is wrong with the fuel pump, but why is it that the "FI ECU" fuse blows and not the "FUEL PUMP" fuse? Changing the fuel pump appears to be a big job, so I'm wondering if there is anything else to check before I change it??? I've removed the back seat but haven't pulled out the fuel pump assembly yet. When I put in a fresh fuse for the "FI ECU" and turn the key I can hear the fuel pump run for about a second and then the fuse blows. So the pump makes noise until the fuse blows. At one point I was actually able to start the engine for a second before the fuse blew and the engine stalled. I can't find a wiring diagram in the Haynes manual or online that shows the circuit for the fuel pump and injectors. History: no issues past 3 months. EGR valve replaced in Feb/13 due to MIL on and needed to pass emissions test. Head gasket and O2 sensor replaced in Dec/12. WHAT'S MY NEXT STEP?? CHANGE FUEL PUMP??? OR TOW TO GARAGE???
Old 05-14-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Engine won't turn over - FI ECU fuse blowing

I can't see what names are on any of the fuses from here.
EDIT: found the fuse 6. Still no clue yet. That fuse does power a lot of items.
I'd use an ammeter to check draw from each part of all the circuits that fuse feeds.

Disconnect the pump connector on top of the tank, then see if the fuse still blows (it should). If the pump were shorted, fuse 17 should blow, not fuse 6.
I'd use an ammeter to measure pump current draw.

Did you swap out the main relay #2 (pump relay) yet?

Last edited by ezone; 05-14-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-15-2013
Registered!!

I disconnected the fuel pump and the fuse still blew. I will try to swap out the relay next - just need to go buy one and some more fuses.

I'm not sure which circuits i should be testing for current
Old 05-15-2013
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

this is going to be very difficult for you to solve until you get yourself a good wiring schematic
Old 05-15-2013
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Marty McFly
2004 Honda Civic Si (Canadian):
Is this the US EX then ??
Old 05-15-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
Is this the US EX then ??
Yes I believe it is the US EX.

I'm still looking for burnt wires or bad connectors but no luck. I'm starting to trace the circuit from the FI ECU fuse since i can't find a wiring diagram anywhere
Old 05-15-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Check with your public library. Many have a subscription to Mitchell or Alldata.

Print off all the diagrams you can.

Of course, it does no good if one can't make heads or tails of a wiring diagram.
Old 05-16-2013
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Marty McFly
I can't find a wiring diagram in the Haynes manual

i have seen the haynes manual for this car, it has a complete wiring schematic at the back of the manual for the entire car, are you sure you are looking hard enough?
Old 05-16-2013
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

This may help.... http://www.7thgenhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1976

It has wiring info. Use EX trim level.

I can TRY to send you sections of factory manual.... the fuel section is over 45mb itself.

PM with an email and I will try it.
Old 05-26-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
This may help.... http://www.7thgenhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1976

It has wiring info. Use EX trim level.

That website was very helpful - i was able to find all the wiring diagrams I needed.

Last edited by Marty McFly; 05-26-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-26-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1
i have seen the haynes manual for this car, it has a complete wiring schematic at the back of the manual for the entire car, are you sure you are looking hard enough?
I looked really really hard through all of the diagrams in the Haynes manual, but no dice. It seems to include everything but fuel system. I found the diagrams by following the link from the post below.
Old 05-26-2013
Registered!!

Update:
After tearing apart the interior of the car and tracing the wires to the fuel pump I have finally concluded that there is nothing wrong with the fuel pump... I followed advice from others' experiences and located the crank position sensor and disconnected it. The car has finally started. So the FI ECU fuse blowing is somehow linked to a short in the circuit for the crank position sensor, which i have yet to locate. So, I've narrowed down the location of the problem to the CKP sensor, but I still haven't solved it yet... back to work now.

anybody know what will happen if i drive without the CKP sensor connected?
Old 02-17-2015
Registered!!

khex is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same problem:
My car stalled while driving down the highway. Would crank, but wouldn't start. Towed it to shady service center. They found the #6 F1 ECU fuse kept blowing, but couldn't figure out why. They talked about the fuel pump etc - had no clue. So I did a search and ended up here! After reading some people had problems with their Crank Shaft Sensor, I unplugged that and voila! The fuse didn't blow any more and the engine would run! I got the hell out of there since they didn't know crap and limped my car home. Took it back to the dealer that had replaced the Crank Shaft Sensor 11 months earlier (a month after they changed my timing belt and water pump, the Crank Shaft Sensor died... coincidence??) and they found corrosion in the plug and replaced it for free.

My experience is that you can drive the car with the Crank Shaft Sensor unplugged, but it will "buck" a bit when under load going up hills or trying to accelerate hard. I've driven it twice now that way - once to drive it to the dealer, once to drive it home from shady repair shop and then to dealer.

From reading other posts and doing some research, it seems very common to have problems with the Crank Shaft Sensor after replacing Timing Belt and Water Pump. Anyone else have this problem?

Long story short:
dealer replaced timing belt and water pump.
1 month later, Crank Shaft Sensor went bad.
Dealer replaced that on my dime since they wouldn't admit a connection.
11 months later, car stalled and wouldn't start (#6 fuse F1 ECU kept blowing)
Ended up being corroded Crank Shaft Sensor plug.
Dealer spliced in new plug and replaced Sensor for free... good to go!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3647.jpg
Views:	1494
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	87521
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3648.jpg
Views:	2013
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	87522
Old 02-17-2015

Originally Posted by khex

From reading other posts and doing some research, it seems very common to have problems with the Crank Shaft Sensor after replacing Timing Belt and Water Pump. Anyone else have this problem?

Attachment 87521
Attachment 87522
Thanks for the pics.

There CAN be issues with liquid entering that connector even without disturbing the connection.

It is a 'known' problem area (to some of us that deal with the cars very regularly).

When I do a timing belt job on this engine I do not unplug that connector. I always unbolt the sensor and move the entire unit out of the way, wires and all.

Your pics indicate some sort of liquid got inside the connection and corroded the terminals over a period of time. This corrosion typically results in an intermittent code or no signal code.

You said it was blowing fuses...seems to me that would be an internally shorted sensor problem.
While this wire corrosion pictured doesn't normally cause fuses to blow.....
The corrosion COULD have got inside the sensor body and into the circuitry to cause it to become a short circuit.

This is all speculation on my part.

At least they covered the repair under a warranty, so that's good.
Old 01-27-2019
Registered!!

hdtrc is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you everyone for this post.

I have a 2005 Civic EX with the same issue and followed the same procedures as Marty McFly plus pulling every relay behind the glove box, the big grey connector, and all of the ECU connectors.
When I reinstalled the maroon relay, the ECM fuse blew. Then while taking a break I found this post and went right to the CPS, disconnected it, and the car started.

Thanks again.