7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

How can I make my (stock) civic 03 last longer

Old 05-08-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ScorchedIcee is an unknown quantity at this point
How can I make my (stock) civic 03 last longer

So, I have an 03 civic that was handed down to me. I've had questions but no idea where to ask them, until now that is...

Questions:

1. Currently I have accumulated 131025km, how often should I be changing the oil, and what grade of oil should I be using?
  2. Does using gear 3 or 2 to assist braking (emergency) have negative effects on my car?
  3. In terms of fuel efficiency, is there any break down of the speed vs fuel consumption (per km)?
  4. How can I clean the connections on my battery, and is there a way to tell how old it is?
  5. I have fabric on the inside peeling off (on the door). Should I just use the most over-kill glue?
Also, any general tips, common sense, etc.. please do post all the knowledge you have.

I enjoy my civic... it may not be modded, but sound I put in makes up for everything ... On that note, the amp (and subs) are connected to the fuse box because of the cruddy connections to the battery, and I remember hearing that this could be bad for the... alternator? Especially when my lights dim (which they do... quite often ) ..

Cheers

- Icee
Old 05-08-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How can I make my (stock) civic 03 last longer

1. Go synthetic once a year or max. 10,000 kms.
2. Yes, it will DESTROY your transmission quick.
3. No breakdown, but you can expect 30MPG at all times.
4. Date should be on the battery, just wire brush it here and there.
5. Hmm, not sure
Old 05-09-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
5. Hmm, not sure
Thanks for the response

Whenever I have geared down, I keep an eye on the RPM while listening to the engine. For example, if I gear down from 60km/hr to 3, then at 35-40km/hr gear down to 2... is it damaging the transmission because of the gear change?

I've been going under the assumption that as long as you keep the RPMs under 4 then it is ok.

I mostly gear down when I either need to stop, or re-gain traction.

How often should batteries be replaced?

Any suggestions on getting a streak free clean on my windows?

Cheers

- Icee
Old 05-09-2013
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

your engine is to make your car go,

your brakes are to make your car stop,

dont confuse the two,

dont use your engine as a brake,

change your oil and filter every 5000-6000kms with standard 5w20 oil, no need for anything fancy on these engines, your chances of an oil related failure are slim to none, your body and frame will rust out before that ever happens,

frequency is more important than quality when it comes to oil changes
Old 05-09-2013
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

5. Hmm, not sure
Engine braking is bad for the trans?
Old 05-09-2013
Please, DubTee is my father, call me Dub

dubtee1480 is an unknown quantity at this point

Engine braking places undue wear on the transmission. What's cheaper, a clutch on a manual transmission (or rebuild on a auto) or a set of brake pads?

Most batteries should last 3-5 years, most after market batteries have a 2-3 year free replacement period and a pro-rated warranty around 4-7 years after that (if I'm not mistaken). Your car will get hard to start when your battery is on it's way out, most places that sell batteries can test them also if you are concerned. If you have to replace the battery, since you inherited the car, I would try to ID the place the battery was purchased from and see if you can have it replaced there. If not free, then pro-rated at least. But they will only replace it if the battery fails a test.

If you need to clean your terminals, there is a very nice foaming spray but if the build up is thick enough you will need to use a wire brush. To get the remaining corrosion off you can use the foaming terminal cleaner. Or pour a can of coke over them, brush and rinse with water. Or baking soda and water and then brush and rinse. I like to use a protection spray, like CRC Battery Terminal Protector:

Cleaning your windows, you can use soap and water or something like Stoner Invisible Glass brand aerosol cleaner. Use a nice microfiber cloth, waffle weave works very well. Use two towels, spray your cleaner on the window, wipe/scrub with one towel and dry with the second towel. If cleaning inside and out, wipe horizontal on one side and vertically on the other so you can isolate which side of the glass is streaking.
Old 05-09-2013
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Originally Posted by dubtee1480
Engine braking places undue wear on the transmission.
Do you know why that is? I always thought engine braking wasnt bad for either the trans or engine. Im talking just going down a slope or hill doing 60kmh tops in D3.
Old 05-09-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

My 94 Accord mentioned engine braking in the owners manual, can't remember if it said to save it for emergencies or not (it was an auto). I engine brake all the time with my 5 speed, need to make sure you match your revs. My Accord actually matched them automatically if the civic doesn't then I wouldn't do it.

Edit:

Originally Posted by ScorchedIcee
I enjoy my civic... it may not be modded, but sound I put in makes up for everything ... On that note, the amp (and subs) are connected to the fuse box because of the cruddy connections to the battery, and I remember hearing that this could be bad for the... alternator? Especially when my lights dim (which they do... quite often ) ..
My amp is connected to the fuse box also, never heard anything about it being bad for the alternator. I don't see how it could be bad for it. If your lights are dimming then getting a high output alternator would help. Also redoing your ground wires can help.

Last edited by GolNat; 05-10-2013 at 05:37 AM.
Old 05-10-2013
Please, DubTee is my father, call me Dub

dubtee1480 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie
Do you know why that is? I always thought engine braking wasnt bad for either the trans or engine. Im talking just going down a slope or hill doing 60kmh tops in D3.
Engine braking generally places undue wear on the transmission. It has it's time and place (on the track, in mountainous areas) but needs to be executed properly (rev match). There's really no need in normal street driving. If you're on a mountain, going downhill, and trying to maintain a speed then putting your car in a particular gear and holding it to keep from riding your brakes is proper usage. But in day to day driving most people simply cannot do it correctly, don't need to do it, and cause more harm than good. Lifting off the accelerator and letting the car slow down while in gear isn't what I'm referring to here, I mean downshifting. It can be done but if done improperly but can cause a lot of extra wear on the clutch. There is a lot of disagreement on doing it in daily driving honestly and people will tell you it's OK and technically they are right. I don't want to be that person on the internet saying it's OK if you are doing it properly to someone who may not know how or even be capable of doing it properly.
Old 05-10-2013
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

we are talking about manual transmissions here and downshifting,

if your letting your foot off the gas with an auto tranny, that is fine
Old 05-10-2013
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

When I made my post I thought you were talking automatic transmission. I engine brake with my manual transmission and have had no transmission issues at 220k kms.... that's personal preference. Also I'm still on my original clutch and it's holding strong.
Old 05-10-2013
Registered!!

When I made my post I thought you were talking automatic transmission. I engine brake with my manual transmission and have had no transmission issues at 220k kms.... that's personal preference. Also I'm still on my original clutch and it's holding strong.

going by this i just assumed he had a manual tranny......

Does using gear 3 or 2 to assist braking (emergency) have negative effects on my car?
Old 05-10-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Yea I didn't read the gear numbers haha... I just imagined the damn stick being used to slow down on an auto. my bad.
Old 05-10-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I engine brake with my manual transmission and have had no transmission issues at 220k kms.... that's personal preference. Also I'm still on my original clutch and it's holding strong.
I have 166k miles, with original clutch. I probably do it everyday a couple times a day just for fun. If anything it may wear out the clutch cylinder and pressure plate springs faster because you are pushing the clutch more then you need to.
Old 05-10-2013
Whachya lookin at?

I'm not concerned about it honestly. I will replace the clutch when it needs it. I just feel engine braking is the proper way to drive manuals.
Old 05-10-2013
Registered!!

Thanks for all the information guys!

Also... my car is auto
Old 05-10-2013
Registered!!

Weird....... I posted something completely different and it posted my first post O.o..

Thanks for all the information ^^

Also... you were correct to assume my car is, indeed an automatic transmission. The gears are labeled.

EDIT: My bad.

Last edited by ScorchedIcee; 05-10-2013 at 04:18 PM. Reason: So... not only was I editing the first post at the bottom... but I wrote in the post quick reply... my bad ><
Old 05-10-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Don't downshift with the gear stick then. Your transmission will hate you with a passion, and you will hate how much it costs to replace it.
Old 05-16-2013
I am Epic

Originally Posted by mikey1
we are talking about manual transmissions here and downshifting,

if your letting your foot off the gas with an auto tranny, that is fine
Oh ok. Ya sometimes I will be going down a hill or slope while in D3 and foot off the gas as I coast or brake less than if it was in D. So thats okay and doesnt put extra wear on the trans or engine? I also never go past 60km/h while in D3.
Old 05-17-2013
Registered!!

Oh ok. Ya sometimes I will be going down a hill or slope while in D3 and foot off the gas as I coast or brake less than if it was in D. So thats okay and doesnt put extra wear on the trans or engine? I also never go past 60km/h while in D3.

why are you using D3 instead of D ?
Old 05-17-2013
Whachya lookin at?

^ Yea that's kind of what I'm wondering too.. hmm.
Old 05-21-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Change the oil, maintain it, and don't drive like an animal all the time.