7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

So much for being a friend, find out 70k car is actually 130K car, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
luisfe is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry So much for being a friend, find out 70k car is actually 130K car, what to do?

Bought a 03 EX MT a few days ago from a friend, everything looked great, he's been a friend for a while, trusted him. I find out he tampered with the odometer after he "mistakenly" leaves some service papers that show higher mileage for the same car. I check title, records, etc... and yup, there's a difference.

Dumb on my part for trusting him blindly, but oh well, what's done is done.

I don't know what to do now. Keep the car? Ask for my money back? I'm not going to press charges or do anything, but my lawyer already told me to have him sign a contract that says he knowingly sold it that way, so that I don't get in trouble.

The car drives well, but now I understand why there are some noises coming from the suspension.

I know these cars last awhile but there's a big difference between 70 and 130K.

Thoughts? Additional check-ups I should do?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-26-2013
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: So much for being a friend, find out 70k car is actually 130K car, what to do?

wow, nice "friend" you have

what he has done is a very serious crime that could involve jail time depending on where you live,

not sure what you paid for it but i would be asking, or i should say demanding, some money back in the neighborhood of about 25%

it might make you wonder what else he has "forgotten" to tell you about the car
Old 04-26-2013
Registered!!

luisfe is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: So much for being a friend, find out 70k car is actually 130K car, what to do?

Originally Posted by mikey1
wow, nice "friend" you have

what he has done is a very serious crime that could involve jail time depending on where you live,

not sure what you paid for it but i would be asking, no demanding, some money back in the neighborhood of about 25%

it might make you wonder what else he has "forgotten" to tell you about the car
Tell me about it! I know his family well and I dunno I'm not the kinda guy that does puts people in jail. If he doesn't sign the contract my lawyer is writing up, then yes, I will consider it.

The "forgotten" part is what's driving me crazy. Like I said, there's a 60K mile diference.
Old 04-26-2013
CO&CA

TFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the rough

60K is not "forgotten" maybe 5K if the cluster went out but a 60K difference... please he knew EXACTLY what he was doing.
Old 04-27-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Sounds like my "friend" who hit me with a mag light. Took 16 staples to close it up. You don't need friends like that.

Cover your azz. You're gonna have to report the mileage that's on the odometer when you sell the car so, it's on you if he doesn't sign something.
Old 04-29-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

It sounds like you are not going to pursue any legal action or return the car. One problem for you is what do you do when you sell the car. If you fail to notify the buyer that the odometer has been changed then I would think you would be guilty also. If you would include a disclaimer saying the odometer has been changed but you don't know the exact amount and the car is being sold "as is" then I doubt the next buyer could come back after you. The problem with that is I would expect you would take a hit on the price, like you most people will wonder what else was "changed".

The second problem if you keep the car is getting your friend to admit to the real miles on the car. At 70k you might wait a year or two before the timing belt is due but if it is 130k it may be past due.