7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

What do you love about your 7th Gen?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013
My favorite TV shows are JDM. My Honda isn't...

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough
What do you love about your 7th Gen?

This is my profound and thought-provoking question for today

With the amount of money I've spent on my car recently, I've been asking myself, "Is it really worth it?" Why do I have the urge to modify this ordinary economy car? Is there something more to it?

Furthermore, why do I do it when there's plenty of other cars for about the same money? Some other cars I've looked at in the same price range include the Scion tC, Toyota Celica GT, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Subaru Legacy, Dodge Neon, 3000GT, Mazda Protege MP3, Mazda 5, Audi A4, VW GTI, Mercedes-Benz C230, Acura RSX, and other generations of Civic.

I really want to know... what do you guys like about the 7th Gen Civic? Particularly the EM2, ES1, and ES2 (non Si hatch or Type-R). What makes it special? I'm beginning to have doubts in my car, which is not fun, so I'm looking for some genuine 7th Gen appreciation. Also, what makes our cars better than any others out there in the same price range? Why do you LOVE your car?

Hit me! Go!

Last edited by krudmuphin; 04-25-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old 04-24-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What do you all love about your 7th Gen?

I've had her since she was 6 miles old. I've grown (as a driver) with her, and she's been with me almost everywhere I've been. We've had our problems, but I've always been able to fix her, and she's bounced back, usually better than before.

For me, I love my car because its the first one I've been able to call mine. I've learned much by working on it, and because of that, there's a lot of sentimental attachment.

Also, she's fun to drive. Not the fastest thing, but great, nevertheless.
Old 04-24-2013

krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

Great! I was hoping you'd respond. You're obviously one of the most dedicated EM2 owners out there.

I agree that most of it is the "first car" sentiment. Although I could've ended up with other cars that are sportier and better looking, in my opinion. My mom made the final decision and it's not paid off yet, soooo, lol
Old 04-24-2013
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krudmuphin
Great! I was hoping you'd respond. You're obviously one of the most dedicated EM2 owners out there.
Lol, thanks.

I'll admit, I was a bit spoiled, and my car was a gift to me when I was 18 an just starting college. My first car was a beater that was on the verge of dying, so my parents agreed to get me a new car. It wasn't nearly my first choice, but I accepted nonetheless. I've had my bouts with deciding whether or not to get rid of her, even as far as talking to dealerships about trading for an 05 STI, an 08 Si, and some others as well, but never could bring myself to do it, and I'm glad I didn't. This car is so easy to work on/with, so you can seriously learn a lot, just by doing.

I know your decision was made for you, but I just felt like adding on. Lol
Old 04-24-2013
Kenny the Ricer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Most of us attached to our 7th gens is simply because it was our first cars.
You grow to love it, the body style, the lines and curves of it.

Most of us that feel that way have the "There are so many cars I could/should have, but I'll always keep my 7th gen" spirit.

It's a love hate relationship; definitely.
Old 04-24-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I love that no one else loves it. The 7th gen is the red headed step child. It's hardly in mags, car shows or adds. It's underestimated.
Old 04-24-2013
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

Kenny said it perfectly...and I could take it apart and put it back together with my eyes closed....could easily buy a bimmer right now but would rather drive the civic until the wheels fall off and with how i drive, it's a possibility lol. Plus I only have to spend little bit of money every once in a while to keep it on par with newer economy cars- braces, projectors etc. that's what keeps me coming back.
Old 04-25-2013

Great insight so far! Thanks guys!

I think what i like about it is the sheer simplicity of it. Granted, it's no bare-bones Lotus, or standard equipped Geo Metro, it's still a very subtle car for its time period.

I didn't actually discover the EM2 until I was 10 years old when the first one I saw was a 2004. I really liked the pyramid-style taillights and short nose. A couple years later I started seeing a bunch of 01-03 coupes and I saw the front and got totally confused. Because I saw a 2004 in person first, every time I stumbled upon a 01-03 I was like "I coulda swore these had more aggressive headlights..." It wasn't until I owned one that I knew the difference. And now I think I prefer the 01-03 front end, lol. The 7th gen. seems atrociously plain from some angles, but simply perfect from others...
It's definitely not the greatest looking car, but every time I pull up next to a modern Chevy or Toyota, I feel like a true fashion model, haha

For me, it's definitely the first car thrills. Almost everyone has a strong relationship with their first car. Before modding my EM2, I knew practically nothing about the mechanics/electronics of a car. I can name any make/model, color, motor, etc, but I couldn't tell a crankshaft from a camshaft. My experience with my EM2 has brought me into an entirely new world of automotive understanding and discoveries.
Old 04-25-2013
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

^
Shyyt,
I'd trade you my 03 for your 05 any day :P

The front plate area really annoys me.
Old 04-25-2013
Administrator
Administrator

Great insight so far! Thanks guys!

For me, it's definitely the first car thrills. Almost everyone has a strong relationship with their first car. Before modding my EM2, I knew practically nothing about the mechanics/electronics of a car. I can name any make/model, color, motor, etc, but I couldn't tell a crankshaft from a camshaft. My experience with my EM2 has brought me into an entirely new world of automotive understanding and discoveries.
Sounds to me like you fell in love with your car all over again

I hear you on the knowing practically nothing aspect. Before my Civic, I knew how to do oil changes and brake pads, and that was it.. Well, maybe a little with car stereo, just because my dad and his friends did all that **** back in the 80's and early 90's, and I grew up around it. Tinkering with my Civic was the first real car work I did, and I hardly knew what I was doing.

Now, with the problems I've been having (bad rock knock, cylinder 2, I believe), I'm getting ready to swap out the bottom end of my engine for one I've had lying around. I wouldn't have had any idea how the hell to do that if it weren't for me screwing with my car for the last 11 years and this forum.

I like this thread. Gives me a warm fuzzy about my car, even though she's being a little bitch right now.
Old 04-25-2013

I guess I'm still a litle bit confused to the newfound popularity of it..
For instance, my friend gave up his 2000 turboed EM1 for an almost stock '02 EM2, something which I'd never even consider...
But whatever, haha

And even though (most of) our cars are slow, I still like to gun it every once in awhile to feel that V-TEC pull, lol
Old 04-25-2013
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

With the amount of money I've spent on my car recently, I've been asking myself, "Is it really worth it?" Why do I have the urge to modify this ordinary economy car? Is there something more to it?

i think it depends on what your spending the money on, maintanance, repairs, or mods?....going by your statement above, i will assume its mods....

i have modded many cars and motorcycles, but my 7th gen is stock and staying that way, this isnt the type of car i would dump alot of money into on mods, i would be looking elsewhere for that, such as one of the cars you listed,

why do i love my 7th gen?....reliability, economical, easy to maintain, easy to work on....all the reasons the car was built for
Old 04-25-2013
Kenny the Ricer

I think for 7th gen, the exterior should stay as close to stock as possible.

It really is one of the best looking civics pushed out by honda. (Albeit the FD2)
Old 04-25-2013
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
I think for 7th gen, the exterior should stay as close to stock as possible.

It really is one of the best looking civics pushed out by honda. (Albeit the FD2)
You think the stock exterior looks better stock thn with lips and body kits?
Old 04-25-2013
Kenny the Ricer

Lips and skirts are OK to an extent.

Body kits are a big no.
Old 04-25-2013

Originally Posted by mikey1
i think it depends on what your spending the money on, maintanance, repairs, or mods?....going by your statement above, i will assume its mods....
That's my major dilemma. I spend a lot of money on mods. Most are cosmetic because you'd have to start dropping thousands if you wanted any performance gain on these cars... money that could easily put you into the driver's seat of a better performance car. But my spending never seems to stop anyways, haha

@Kenny and Civicnoobie

I think the 01-03 looks good with or without lips:
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/5121/7737wv.jpg (my favorite EM2 btw)
and
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7035/6...c4efcf0a_b.jpg
It doesn't necessarily need side skirts, because the sides are relatively low and flat already.

Whereas the 04-05 sides have a steeper curve to them and look awkward from some angles, showing a lot of tire... http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/13863263.jpg
So I think they look best with side skirts (and a front lip to keep the front lower than the sides, a general rule of sports car aesthetics)

Body kits... just no... lol
http://hondabodykit.files.wordpress....0728.jpg?w=830
Old 04-25-2013
Kenny the Ricer

That's the HFP lip I plan to get.
Old 04-25-2013

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
That's the HFP lip I plan to get.
The silver car? ...but isn't that a Mugen lip?

EDIT: Oh, I didn't realize the white one had a lip, lol, I've never noticed the old HFP lip.
Old 04-25-2013
Kenny the Ricer

Yep, future plans for my car:
Name:  null.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  39.9 KB

Lol, long way to go.
Old 04-25-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

^ nice!!

That's my plan.... Eventuality. Need to build a garage first, then get more money.
Old 04-25-2013
Registered!!

clinton_hedrick is an unknown quantity at this point

I love the looks of mine, and nobody has brought up the MPG yet. For a 37-40 MPG car, it isn't THAT slow, I think it is roomier than the earlier civics, and for the hell I've put mine through, it has held up pretty good. The transmission must be bulletproof. I take it through hay fields, corn stalk stubble, and down some really bad back roads. If there are 1-3 inches of snow on the road, it does so well, I take my Civic instead of my 4x4 truck.
Old 04-25-2013

Originally Posted by clinton_hedrick
I love the looks of mine, and nobody has brought up the MPG yet. For a 37-40 MPG car, it isn't THAT slow, I think it is roomier than the earlier civics, and for the hell I've put mine through, it has held up pretty good. The transmission must be bulletproof. I take it through hay fields, corn stalk stubble, and down some really bad back roads. If there are 1-3 inches of snow on the road, it does so well, I take my Civic instead of my 4x4 truck.
No offense, but you have the most redneck sounding name I've ever heard and you're driving descriptions reinforce that, lol

But you're totally right. MPG is amazing. The fact that the Civic lasts so long means the money you save in gas over time is enormous. Better yet, with mods like exhaust, suspensions, and intake, I calculated mine at 38.4 MPG highway on my recent vacation.
Also, aside from one very recent incident where I had a ground wire wiglle out of place (mostly my fault), my car's never had to be serviced and it's running incredibly strong and healthy. (Though it only has 58k miles still)
It is a high quality ride for sure.
Old 04-26-2013
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

That's my major dilemma. I spend a lot of money on mods. Most are cosmetic because you'd have to start dropping thousands if you wanted any performance gain on these cars
its your choice and your decision to make....i have never understood why people want to make their car look fast when its not, i would rather have the opposite

if i was ever to mod my 7th gen (which will not happen) i would keep the body completely stock and do an engine swap
Old 04-26-2013
Registered!!

No offense, but you have the most redneck sounding name I've ever heard and you're driving descriptions reinforce that, lol

But you're totally right. MPG is amazing.
*your You can say you know a redneck grammar ****. lmao
You guessed right lol. I live on a farm. My friends all made fun of me at first when I got my Civic, but I needed something efficient when I started doing college options, as I had a 40 mile one way drive. (Every boy in my community is expected to be a culture-less hick putting around in a truck.) Now, the civic is the primary ride whenever my friends and I are going somewhere. One of my buddies started driving a long distance too, but he got a Cobalt instead.
Given his is an automatic and mine is manual, but he gets wayyy worse MPG, is slower in a straight line, and under steers terribly compared to my Civic.
Old 04-26-2013

Originally Posted by clinton_hedrick
*your You can say you know a redneck grammar ****. lmao
You guessed right lol. I live on a farm. My friends all made fun of me at first when I got my Civic, but I needed something efficient when I started doing college options, as I had a 40 mile one way drive. (Every boy in my community is expected to be a culture-less hick putting around in a truck.) Now, the civic is the primary ride whenever my friends and I are going somewhere. One of my buddies started driving a long distance too, but he got a Cobalt instead.
Given his is an automatic and mine is manual, but he gets wayyy worse MPG, is slower in a straight line, and under steers terribly compared to my Civic.
I'm a grammar **** too. Excuse me for not noticing my mistake!
I love how you're breaking all the stereotypes. I live in Nebraska so I know the kind of people who live here, haha, and most of the out-of-towners actually respect Honda. However, they still enjoy running over us with their Chevy pickups, lol.

And the Chevy Cobalt... blegghhh.. what a heap. I wouldn't even take an SS if it was given to me...

Last edited by krudmuphin; 04-26-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-26-2013
Kenny the Ricer

I'm a grammar **** too. Excuse me for not noticing my mistake!
I love how you're breaking all the stereotypes. I live in Nebraska so I know the kind of people who live here, haha, and most of the out-of-towners actually respect Honda. However, they still enjoy running over us with their Chevy pickups, lol.

And the Chevy Cobalt... blegghhh.. what a heap. I wouldn't even take an SS if it was given to me...
I'd take it...

and sell it
Old 04-26-2013
CO&CA

TFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the rough
Re: What do you love about your 7th Gen?

I guess Ill chime in here... I have to say my reason for the EM love is the fact that it was MY first car and ever since I was about 10 (back in 93) I have LOVED the look.... from the boxy 80/90's body style, hatchback, my ES2 and most of the Si line, there is jsut somethign that attracted me to them. They meet my needs as a driver nearly 100%.

Economic (MPG's are GREAT)
Small and compact
Some zip and pep, enough to get me a few speeding tickets...
The body lines are awesome (06-08 are questionable )

Personally I have learned a great deal from all the DIY punishment shes taken, I have taken the time and effort to keep her running great with 120K+ miles and she looks great too...

I have taken too much pride in keeping it tip top shape and I dont care if its "JUST" a civic, its mine, I created her and I will drive her into the ground....
Old 04-26-2013
Registered!!

Here is why we should all love our Hondas. If you ever feel like you don't like it, drive a Domestic "competitor". A Cobalt, Focus, oh even better, a Cavalier
You will see the greatness of your Civic.
Old 04-26-2013

Originally Posted by TFMEX
I dont care if its "JUST" a civic, its mine, I created her and I will drive her into the ground....
So inspirational
Old 04-26-2013
CO&CA

TFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the rough

So inspirational
HAHA.... you making fun of me?

Quick Reply: What do you love about your 7th Gen?