7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

anyone know how to remove nufinish so i can apply meguiars?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cona is an unknown quantity at this point
anyone know how to remove nufinish so i can apply meguiars?

background: i was attempting to wax my car for the first time, and decided to buy nufinish polish paste. ive had an ep3 for about 6 months and havent waxed it.

i already had applied nu finish paste to 1/4th of my hood, but now i want to use meguiars clay wax instead

1.) is it possible to remove nufinish safely? if so how?

2.) was it okay to polish 1/4 of my hood and leave the rest for tomorrow?

3.) and since i will be driving around again to buy meguiars wax. should i wash my car again? and wax it right after i wash it?

please help me out guys, im new to cars and to this forum

thank you very much

regards,

cona
Old 04-22-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: anyone know how to remove nufinish so i can apply meguiars?

Most wax is removed by liquid dishwashing detergent. If you want to strip the old wax before waxing a car wash it with Dawn, all other times use a liquid car wash soap.

I never wax a car except right after washing it. Any contaminates or dirt may scratch the paint when you apply the wax.

I'm not sure what you mean by "clay wax", usually clay and wax are two different steps and two different things. Clay is used to remove surface contaminates before you wax. I usually only clay a car once a year not everytime I wax.

Last edited by pjb3; 04-22-2013 at 04:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-22-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Car polish isn't the same as car wax. Polish is typically a very slightly abrasive compound that aims to polish out swirls/fine scratches. Per google search, NuFinish paste polish does not contain wax.

That said, I'd at least finish off the hood with the paste polish, then apply a coat of wax.
Old 04-22-2013
Registered!!

finished.

i re-washed my car with dawn ultra soap, and used Meguiar's White Wax

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s-...l5=pla&veh=sem

the results turned out really well. when i rub the back of my hand against the paint it feels so smooth, and it's super shiny in the sun!

ill post up pictures soon. my camera battery is dead

yeah, next time ill use the polish first and then the wax.

washing and applying the wax took me about 2 hours.

well worth it.

thank you
Old 04-23-2013
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

hell, if you have the time, next time I'd wash, clay bar, polish, then wax.

That's a lot of time and elbow grease, though
Old 04-23-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

I took a quick look at Meguiar's White Wax and it says it has a cleaner so I would be tempted to skip a polish unless you have a problem that needs it. The problems that come to mind are a dull, oxidized finish even after waxing or swirls which are a bigger problem in dark colors.

I do like to clay the car once a year or after a long trip. Clay will remove surface contaminates. An example would be bugs, even after washing there is often still some bug left where it hit. Waxing will just wax over the residue but clay will remove it.
Old 04-23-2013
Administrator
Administrator

clay will also remove surface contaminants you can't necessarily see, but you can feel when you run your hand over the paint's surface.
Old 04-23-2013
Registered!!

Cool Re: anyone know how to remove nufinish so i can apply meguiars?

here are the long awaited lazy pictures i took, but it still captures the results

my garage shows the before pictures

Name:  IMAG1816.jpg
Views: 2769
Size:  37.1 KB

Name:  IMAG1815.jpg
Views: 2807
Size:  62.3 KB