7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Should I or shouldn't I?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Petebo is an unknown quantity at this point
Should I or shouldn't I?

I have a 2002 EX with very low mileage (40,000). I have had a few repairs in the last 2 years. I am facing now and have been advised to change the timing belt/water pump. In addition, need a few new tires. Also, I have noticed on occasion, a little slippage in the trans. Should I put the money into this or get rid of it? I am now leaning to unload this bomb. What do you think?
Old 03-11-2013
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Should I or shouldn't I?

you are way overdue on the timing belt....get that done before it snaps and costs you 4 times what it should....

water pump and tensioner should be fine, i would leave them both....

have you checked or changed the tranny fluid?

i wouldnt consider a car a "bomb" just because it needs a bit of maintanance
Old 03-11-2013
Registered!!

My concern really is what's next to replace on this. I do not want this car to become a millstone around my neck. I have read where on this model year there may have been some trans issues.
Old 03-11-2013
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Petebo
My concern really is what's next to replace on this. I do not want this car to become a millstone around my neck. I have read where on this model year there may have been some trans issues.
all cars require maintanance....a new car will too....

how long have you had the car?....what have you done to it?

a "little slippage" is hard to diagnose without seeing it....i would suggest having a mechanic drive it and diagnose it before you jump to conclusions....

have you changed the tranny fluid?....or at least checked it?....the least you can do is make sure the fluid is topped up
Old 03-11-2013
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

If the car runs good then just keep it, Most of the parts you will need later on you can get from a junk yard.. (Not the timing belt). It will cost you less to maintain this car than monthly payments on a new car..

As for your belt.. if it has never been done before you are due in years, i believe its 7 years 105k miles whichever comes first or something like that...most belts last about 10 years... It will cost you twice as much to repair the car if it breaks than it will to have it replaced.. I say fix it(or at least inspect it) and get yourself some new tires..or you can even buy used tires if money is tight.
Old 03-11-2013
Registered!!

Not sure what I am going to do. All I can say is that this car drives like a little foreign car on a cobblestone road sometimes. Not the smoothest ride. I also have to consider a maybe possible trans issue which is a big turn off for me.
Old 03-11-2013
Registered!!

All I can say is that this car drives like a little foreign car on a cobblestone road sometimes. Not the smoothest ride.
you have an economy car....thats what economy cars do
Old 03-11-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

replace the belt then drive it till it dies which most likely will be a long time. im concerned that if you let the maintenance for the belt go so long without replacement then what other maintenance have you neglected and does that reflect on the current state of your car ???
Old 03-11-2013
Registered!!

I have put in a battery, had an alignment, AC power blower resistor, crank position sensor, camshaft position sensor, struts and of course oil changes. There is a limit of what more I will put into this.
Old 03-11-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lowlife9
im concerned that if you let the maintenance for the belt go so long without replacement then what other maintenance have you neglected and does that reflect on the current state of your car ???
that was my thinking also....that is why i repeatedly ask him if he changed the tranny fluid, or at least checked it....still no answer
Old 03-11-2013
Registered!!

There is a limit of what more I will put into this.
most of the things you have done or need to do are maintanance related....you need to do routine maintanance on any vehicle....
Old 03-11-2013
Registered!!

I have not changed the fluid as yet as it just turned to 40k miles. However, be that as it may, I am not that thrilled with that car anyway. I appreciate all posted comments and thank you.
Old 03-11-2013
Registered!!

I have not changed the fluid as yet as it just turned to 40k miles. However, be that as it may, I am not that thrilled with that car anyway. I appreciate all posted comments and thank you.
if you want a new car then just buy one....

it sounds like you are looking for an excuse to get rid of the car....

if you change the timing belt and put a few tires on it, the car will most likely last you for many years to come only needing very minimal maintanance....

there are many people on this forum who have been driving with a "slipping tranny" for 3+ years.....i wouldnt let a little slip scare you off....
Old 03-11-2013
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

it may only have 40,000 miles but its 10 year old fluid and needs changing. fluid degrades over time and im guessing it still has the old non synthetic fluid.
Old 03-11-2013
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

A new trans is cheaper then a new car. If you dont have cash up front do you really want to be making monthly payments on a car, something to think about.

Is slippage only when cold?
40k seems really young to have trans issues..
Old 03-12-2013
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

Is it an automatic or manual? didnt think to ask but if you are low on fluid for your clutch it will slip as well..among other things..
Old 03-13-2013
Registered!!

This is an auto. Fluid has been checked. Still the reddish color and ok on the dipstick.
Old 03-13-2013
Registered!!

change the fluid and see if it improves like i said before it degrades over time and just because it looks fine doesn't mean its still good.
Old 03-27-2013
Registered!!

paulymcd7 is an unknown quantity at this point

you're getting close to the time you should flush the trans anyway so take it to a shop and have them flush it and they'll tell you if they see any shifting problems
Old 03-28-2013
Registered!!

BlueMamba24 is an unknown quantity at this point

When i had the crankshaft position replaced, mechanic told me to do the timing belt as well because it is going to be the same work and location anyway. You could have done the same thing I guess.