7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

choosing new clutch and flywheel. need input

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Portland_civic should not be trusted
choosing new clutch and flywheel. need input

so i got a 2002 ex coupe and whenever i press the clutch pedal no matter how far or how little it makes scratching type chatter, and pedal grips kinda up high, but this is my first civic and i test drove another before i bough this one and it was same way, either way if i have to go there and take it apart i might as well do the flywheel upgrade and new clutch kit. question what brand to choose from, i found a few on ebay, want to know if these brands are good and if anyone had any of them on and how was it????

1st..... http://www.ebay.com/itm/F1-STAGE-2-C...07859b&vxp=mtr

2nd...... http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXEDY-CLUTCH...de8abe&vxp=mtr

3rd....... http://www.ebay.com/itm/XTD-STAGE-2-...490467&vxp=mtr

please let me know
Old 03-06-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: choosing new clutch and flywheel. need input

I'd personally stick with an Exedy clutch.
Old 03-06-2013
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

rawr

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread...518811&page=19
Old 03-06-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
thanks for the link, some say dont buy cheap crap and stick to exedy, well the price difference isnt all that much it almost same, and just want to know if people herd or used any of the brands before.
Old 03-06-2013
Whachya lookin at?

The exedy clutch isn't the problem in the package you selected. It's the F1 flywheel. The F1 flywheel does not have enough material to dissipate heat properly which will cause your clutch to heat up and basically wear out much quicker than it should. If I were you I'd buy an exedy clutch and either keep your stock flywheel or buy a brand name aftermarket that you know performs well.

Ebay FTL.
Old 03-06-2013
Busy Speeding!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough

If I'm correct exedy makes the oem clutch for the rsx, not sure if that's the same for our civics. I have a brand new oem exedy clutch in my rsx and I love it. Of course I'm gonna upgrade it when I slap a turbo on her
Old 03-06-2013
Registered!!

Exclamation Re: choosing new clutch and flywheel. need input

The exedy clutch isn't the problem in the package you selected. It's the F1 flywheel. The F1 flywheel does not have enough material to dissipate heat properly which will cause your clutch to heat up and basically wear out much quicker than it should. If I were you I'd buy an exedy clutch and either keep your stock flywheel or buy a brand name aftermarket that you know performs well.

Ebay FTL.
the only clutch names i know is clutch doctor and exedy, you guys know a nice flywheel i can throw on there with a exedy stage 2 clutch? i wanna invest in a decent clutch, its mostly a daily driver that i might take out to autocross and stuff like that, names and links help alot guys
Old 03-06-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Exedy makes good flywheels too.
Old 03-06-2013
Whachya lookin at?

The only problem with an Exedy flywheel is it costs the same amount as the whole set you have chosen there. But the difference is it will last you A LOT longer.

Too much power cheap flywheel:
Old 03-06-2013
Registered!!

The only problem with an Exedy flywheel is it costs the same amount as the whole set you have chosen there. But the difference is it will last you A LOT longer.

Too much power cheap flywheel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-2KiubBNMQ
well im not looking to be making alot of power, the most i want to get to is 200 WHP and then im done, its a daily driver that i will take out once in a while. thats why i dont want to spend more then 200 on a flywheel and i want it as best as i can get it for under that price.
Old 03-06-2013
Whachya lookin at?

As soon as you say Daily Driver the F1 flywheel is a no go.. Honestly, do yourself a favor and spend the extra on a decent flywheel.
Old 03-07-2013
Registered!!

As soon as you say Daily Driver the F1 flywheel is a no go.. Honestly, do yourself a favor and spend the extra on a decent flywheel.
Everyone says a good or decent one, but I'm not seeing or hearing any other brand names, or as to why the f1 offers a bad flywheel, crappy material or why is it a bad flywheel.
Old 03-07-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Then buy the F1. Seems like you're dead set on it, anyways.

The reason you're not really hearing any other brand names, is because for the budget you set yourself, the other brands fall nowhere close to it.
Old 03-07-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Yea anything else is 300+ just for the flywheel.
Old 03-07-2013
Registered!!

jono237 is an unknown quantity at this point

ive seen exedy flywheels for under 236 shipped new id say thats worth it
Old 03-07-2013
Whachya lookin at?

It is worth it. Problem is when you compare them to an ebay set where you get an Exedy clutch kit (worth 120) and a flywheel for around 220 it makes just the flywheel for 220 seem really expensive. No doubt it is. But it's just not worth cheaping out on because it's not easy to get to. It's not like spark plugs where if they are crap you can pull them out in 5 minutes. It takes hours to dig out.

Other flywheel names:

Clutch Masters
Competition Clutch
Spec

With a stage 2 clutch you want to get a steel flywheel, not aluminum. Especially if your going to giv'r every once in a while.
Old 03-07-2013
Registered!!

It is worth it. Problem is when you compare them to an ebay set where you get an Exedy clutch kit (worth 120) and a flywheel for around 220 it makes just the flywheel for 220 seem really expensive. No doubt it is. But it's just not worth cheaping out on because it's not easy to get to. It's not like spark plugs where if they are crap you can pull them out in 5 minutes. It takes hours to dig out.

Other flywheel names:

Clutch Masters
Competition Clutch
Spec

With a stage 2 clutch you want to get a steel flywheel, not aluminum. Especially if your going to giv'r every once in a while.
good point. do you use ebay? or some other website?
Old 03-08-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I only use eBay if I'm desperate to save some cash, but i'm still picky as f*** when I shop eBay.. Honestly, you probably wouldn't need a stage 2 with 200whp. An Exedy stage 1 is good to 179 ft-lbs torque, but you may want the extra "wiggle room" (since the stage 2 is good to 215ft-lbs)

I typically go to these websites:
dezod.com (good products, good prices, SHITTY shipping costs)
thmotorsports.com (good prices, coupon code 5offfive give you 5% off, free shipping over $99)
Old 03-08-2013
Whachya lookin at?

I use ebay for OEM parts sometimes to save money. But I mainly stray away from it. To be honest I haven't bought much aftermarket stuff. I mainly swap in parts from an RSX for upgrades. A clutch however isn't something I'd upgrade because I don't plan on making any more power with my D17. I'd just KSwap if I wanted a faster car and I like how my clutch feels.
Old 03-09-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

yeah, agree that stage 2 for autoX and just 200 hp is too much, no need.
paul at dezod also did a great write-up on selecting flywheels some years ago, not sure where.
chattering clutch is likely a warped flywheel, so need at least machining.
Old 03-11-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
yeah, agree that stage 2 for autoX and just 200 hp is too much, no need.
paul at dezod also did a great write-up on selecting flywheels some years ago, not sure where.
chattering clutch is likely a warped flywheel, so need at least machining.
ok the flywheel part you say that on a guess or you had a similar issue? and i was hoping someone would bring that up. i was recently thinking and searching for a k20z1 and thinking how hard would it be to swap into my car (2002 civic ex coupe.) and if it is gonna run me like 4 grand, why not put the 4 grand towards the d17a2 that is already in. im pretty sure it will stretch to 200whp and some suspension mods
Old 03-12-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

i had chatter in two cars and it was warped flywheels
Old 03-13-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
i had chatter in two cars and it was warped flywheels
is it safe too drive with for now or a is it something i must change asap do you know???