7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

drilled and slotted break disc????? tips???help!!!????

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: drilled and slotted break disc????? tips???help!!!????

^ I know from personal experience. Completed the swap recently and I will tell you that there is a massive improvement in braking. Even without swapping out the master cylinder, brake booster and prop valve. The brakes are much more responsive and require less distance to stop. This is with the same tires for both setups.
Old 03-06-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Portland_civic should not be trusted

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
^ I know from personal experience. Completed the swap recently and I will tell you that there is a massive improvement in braking. Even without swapping out the master cylinder, brake booster and prop valve. The brakes are much more responsive and require less distance to stop. This is with the same tires for both setups.
this is the type of answer i was looking for its helpful, thank you.
Old 03-06-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
I thought on mention that, too. Completely agree. coming back from Canada with the trunk/rear seat and passenger seat completely full of my stuff and having my headlights illuminating the skies, but even so braking was hard yet not overheating. It was a 20 hour trip with the tires tucked in the fenders... still no overheating.

based on his comments and stuff, i simply thought it would easier to tell him to switch to DOT 4 than teaching him how to drive through internet...
hey pro driver, dont be so sure of yourself about my driving ability, dont just to conclusions. by the way the breaking insident happened a little over 6 years ago, and maybe it was the wrong way to do it, but it was a steep slope down, with twist and turns, and it was a full car of people too, but i doesnt matter if it was manual or automatic the way they faded sucked and i was just trying to get some infomation on how to improve brakes, not sign up for a driving lesson
Old 03-06-2013
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

The pictures you see I posted here are actually my 05 civic. I recommend doing the upgrade but you will need a lot of parts, and it's not cheap.

Like I said you can find a 5 lug conversion for 300 dollars but then you need rims + tires. This is a GREAT thing to do if your coming due for tires. It's also a lot of work but a fun project too.
Old 03-07-2013
Registered!!

The pictures you see I posted here are actually my 05 civic. I recommend doing the upgrade but you will need a lot of parts, and it's not cheap.

Like I said you can find a 5 lug conversion for 300 dollars but then you need rims + tires. This is a GREAT thing to do if your coming due for tires. It's also a lot of work but a fun project too.
That's a good point? What makes the rsx 5 lug conversion so great? Is it bigger brake disc or the fact that its a 5 lug?
Old 03-07-2013
Whachya lookin at?

The disc and calipers are bigger. Our civics have a 10" rotor whereas the RSX Type "S" has an 11.8" rotor. Also, with the 5 lug you convert the rears from drums to discs. All of which makes for huge braking improvement.
Old 03-07-2013
Registered!!

The disc and calipers are bigger. Our civics have a 10" rotor whereas the RSX Type "S" has an 11.8" rotor. Also, with the 5 lug you convert the rears from drums to discs. All of which makes for huge braking improvement.
ok that explains alot thank you!
Old 03-09-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Portland_civic
hey pro driver, dont be so sure of yourself about my driving ability, dont just to conclusions. by the way the breaking insident happened a little over 6 years ago, and maybe it was the wrong way to do it, but it was a steep slope down, with twist and turns, and it was a full car of people too, but i doesnt matter if it was manual or automatic the way they faded sucked and i was just trying to get some infomation on how to improve brakes, not sign up for a driving lesson
all i have to evaluate how you drive is what you say - and all i can see about you is what you write, username and car pics
so, that's all i have to estimate what type of car guy and driving/maintenance skills you do have. it's internet, don't take it personally
you have no idea of my skills either :P
Old 03-11-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
all i have to evaluate how you drive is what you say - and all i can see about you is what you write, username and car pics
so, that's all i have to estimate what type of car guy and driving/maintenance skills you do have. it's internet, don't take it personally
you have no idea of my skills either :P
i guess i shouldnt let small crap like that get to me, its just i have been in other forums before and you know there is always a wiseass and just thinks he better then everyone else. i guess in this forum its not you, not yet at least
Old 03-23-2013
Registered!!

Matt300 is an unknown quantity at this point

Replaced my rotors/brakes a few weeks ago. Decided to get slotted and bump up to EBC pads. The shop ended up ordering the slotted/drilled rotors, so I decided to give them a shot anyways. I also went with SS lines.

Gotta say, I love the way it stops now. I had Hawk HPs on stock rotors before, and that was a noticeable difference over OEM. This last job was a bit pricier and it wasn't as big of a change. The compound used in EBCs has a tougher break-in period though, so it left me wishing for my Hawk pads. I use it for Auto-x once in awhile, so that's why I was considering the new rotors/pads as long as it was already time to replace them.
Old 03-31-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Matt300
Replaced my rotors/brakes a few weeks ago. Decided to get slotted and bump up to EBC pads. The shop ended up ordering the slotted/drilled rotors, so I decided to give them a shot anyways. I also went with SS lines.

Gotta say, I love the way it stops now. I had Hawk HPs on stock rotors before, and that was a noticeable difference over OEM. This last job was a bit pricier and it wasn't as big of a change. The compound used in EBCs has a tougher break-in period though, so it left me wishing for my Hawk pads. I use it for Auto-x once in awhile, so that's why I was considering the new rotors/pads as long as it was already time to replace them.
hawk hps ill keep that in mind. do you know if there is a bigger break disc that is a direct swap, and does bigger mean you have to modify the way the caliper mounts?
Old 03-31-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Here is my braking setup. RSX type "R" rear brakes with RSX Type "S" front brakes:

Name:  20130331_133218_zps40bfe1e7.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  115.7 KB

Massive improvement in braking. I don't run Hawk pads but if I did I'd probably get even better performance.

There is no cheap big brake kit for EM2s except the RSX type "S" swap. All the aftermarket Willwood and Brembo kits are 1-2000 dollars or more.
Old 04-01-2013
Registered!!

what i meant was if you go bigger break disc, wouldnt that cause the break caliper to movie back a bit, and then it wont bolt back on. did you have to put different calipers on as well?
Old 04-02-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Every time you increase the size of the rotors you need to replace the calipers...