7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

What's the best oil for a d17 ??

Old 02-13-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DopeillestVtec is an unknown quantity at this point
What's the best oil for a d17 ??

whats the best oil for a d17a2 help thanks
Old 02-14-2013
Registered!!

Aetoc will become famous soon enoughAetoc will become famous soon enough
Re: What's the best oil for a d17 ??

Honda 5w20 Oil. It's not very expensive and you know you're getting something that's approved for your vehicle. Pretty sure it's like $5/q
Old 02-14-2013
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

i have used quaker state 5w20 standard oil since my very first oil change (bought the car new), i have 250,000kms on it and my oil never really looks dirty, even when i change it, it comes out very clean looking....i have not had one engine problem/repair required, other than routine maintainance....so im sticking with what works....

in my opinion a high quality oil filter is more important than expensive oils....
Old 02-14-2013
Registered!!

I heard that royal purple is really good
Old 02-14-2013
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DopeillestVtec

then why are u bothering to ask this question?
Old 02-14-2013
Registered!!

To see peoples opinion and if they had any bad encounters with it
then why are u bothering to ask this question?
Old 02-14-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

It is, but it is expensive. Even more so if you change by the normals. Use a quality 5w-20, a quality filter, and CHANGE IT! By far that is hands down the most important. Any oil's additive package either breaks down with heat and friction (mileage) or by dilution with humidity (reason for time changes, short trips = low miles, but higher humidity in the engine). Pretty much any engine I have ever been into is cleanish EXCEPT the ones that the owners tend to be lackluster about their changes, the moral be diligent and keep it changed. The sheer fact that you are asking shows that you care.... I have been into Cadillac 3.6 v6s and 4.0 jeep engines and the cams get ate by one common denominator Mobil 1. Coincidence or the engine? Perhaps, not an oil engineer though and I refuse to test it out. Personal fav is Valvoline, Napa's house oil is also bottled by them currently and is cheaper. The only gripe I have about Valvoline is that it is one of the more expensive oils. Cheap insurance though I guess, especially when it takes less than 4 to change this one.... Had a diesel several years ago, 15 qts is expensive any way you swing it.....
Old 02-14-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

"best" is one that lubricates and keeps lubricating
some call best the long lasting ones, some call best the ones that work well in colder temperatures, some call best the ones that works well in hot temps, some call best the ones that are simply cheaper.

pick your best.
then you know what is best. for you.
Old 02-14-2013
Registered!!

nsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura aboutnsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura about

I'm running Amsoil xl 5w 30 and I change it every 10K.
Old 02-14-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4632705
Old 02-15-2013
Registered!!

cb450sc is an unknown quantity at this point

Start reading bobistheoilguy forum. Lots of great information on there. For me. I am currently servicing three Civics. My 2005, my sons 1993 and my daughters 1998. I buy the best 5W30 or 5W20 synthethic that is on sale. I have about four different brands that I use, then scoop up five jugs when they go on sale at WM.
Old 02-15-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i use peanut oil its the best.
Old 02-15-2013
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by lowlife9
I prefer canola. I think it's really the bestest ever.
Old 02-15-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lowlife9
Originally Posted by Matt_75
I prefer canola. I think it's really the bestest ever.
I like to soak it in Maiden oil.
Old 02-15-2013
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

I switched to this today, gotten rated as one of the best oils on Bobtheoilguy and I change my oil every 4 months, or 5k km whichever is first usually the months. If we didnt have extreme winters here i would go syn and go longer.

Old 02-15-2013
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

To see peoples opinion and if they had any bad encounters with it
then you should have searched. this topic has been over a million and eight times.
Old 02-15-2013

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie
I switched to this today, gotten rated as one of the best oils on Bobtheoilguy .......

GTX is too thick for me and hurting my milage.

What is printed on your oil cap?
Old 02-15-2013
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

I switched to this today and my engines never ran better.

Last edited by Matt_75; 02-15-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-15-2013
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ezone
What is printed on your oil cap?
mine says olive oil. extra virgin.
Old 02-15-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

oh, lol! why are people double posting so much lately? it's annoying! did i start this? !
Old 02-15-2013
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
mine says olive oil. extra virgin.

Hmmmmm, extra virgins...
Old 02-15-2013
Registered!!

Artificial has a spectacular aura aboutArtificial has a spectacular aura aboutArtificial has a spectacular aura about

I just spray cans of wd40 into my engine whenever it starts knocking. Oil changes are overrated.

Last edited by Artificial; 02-15-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-15-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

People that are hard core about oil drive me crazy. I have 133k miles on my car and I change the oil probably once a year with Valvoline Maxlife. I go a long time inbetween oil changes and I have no issues at all with doing this. Your car is far more likely to fail due to lack of maintenance elsewhere than an oil related failure. Just use a good brand name oil and you will be okay.

People that change their oil every 3000 miles make me laugh because 90% of them won't change their coolant.. ever, or their brake fluid for that matter.
Old 02-15-2013

Originally Posted by BlueEM2

People that change their oil every 3000 miles make me laugh because 90% of them won't change their coolant.. ever, or their brake fluid for that matter.
Sure they will. Just as soon as JizzyLube uses hardsell scare tactics to upsell a bunch of needless flushes to the consumer.

"JizzyLube does ALL my maintenance!"
Old 02-15-2013
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hahaha.. is that what they tell the tow truck driver?
Old 02-15-2013

Nah, it's the oil change sticker on the windshield.....when they get towed in with crap broken/wrong/ignored, that any knuckle dragger with more than one eye open should have seen.
Old 02-17-2013
Registered!!

esegangster is an unknown quantity at this point

Mobile works best 4 me, full synthetic
along with OEM filter
pampered every 5k miles
Old 02-17-2013
Whachya lookin at?

^ How do you know it works best for you? What's the difference you notice with / without it? How much does it cost?

To me using Mobil 1 full synthetic in a civic is a total waste of money if your changing it every 5000 miles. If you were pushing the oil through a decent life cycle I could understand. Synthetic I'd go 7000, or a lot more.
Old 02-17-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
^ How do you know it works best for you? What's the difference you notice with / without it? How much does it cost?

To me using Mobil 1 full synthetic in a civic is a total waste of money if your changing it every 5000 miles. If you were pushing the oil through a decent life cycle I could understand. Synthetic I'd go 7000, or a lot more.

agree....

thats why i just stick with convectional oil, and a good quality filter
Old 02-17-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Even a synthetic blend is pretty cheap and decent oil. Valvoline Maxlife FTW.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What's the best oil for a d17 ??