7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Please Answer if you can

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013
Looking for an Alpha Romeo GTV6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cmac84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Please Answer if you can

So I've been having issues >80kmh

I get a rumble in the steering wheel coming from the suspension I believe. I tested all the bolts on the winter tires and they're good.

Is it possible that it's getting rumble as we get out of a deep freeze and the winter tires soften up and react with our roads (which get **** here with the freeze/thaw/freeze creating tons of bumps)

One wierd thing is I noticed little to no problems looking at the bushings/suspension itself, and I cant rock the car or anything BUT if I place my hand on the rear wheel (either side) I can move the whole car back and forth with ease (about an inch-2 inches). Is this indicative of anything?

I don't know if I'm being paranoid as I just hit 400,001km lol, seeing it roll from 399,999 to 400,000 was bigger than just saying oh yea I'm about to hit 400k and I don't wanna bug my mechanic as he does most work for free/little to nothing (my sons godfather)

p.s its the 2001 Civic LX Coupe doing this (my winter beater)

thoughts?

Last edited by Cmac84; 02-01-2013 at 04:22 AM. Reason: ad specs
Old 02-01-2013

Re: Please Answer if you can

Or if any tests/photos will help. Let me know.

I just find it weird that there is no major give in suspension or ability to rock the car yet I can roll the whole car forward just by placing my hand on the wheel and moving it forward lol. Sounds like breaks more than anything on that and irrelevant to the rumble. The rumble I'm going to check engine mounts etc tomorrow/today

P.S isn't axles, and tie rods are fine.

I'm guessing its my winter tires which have a thick thick tread getting really soft as the temp fluctuates from -40c to +11c in 48 hours

Last edited by Cmac84; 02-01-2013 at 04:45 AM.
Old 02-01-2013
skate or die

Tragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to all

Get your car's suspension an alignment.
Old 02-02-2013

Originally Posted by Tragedy
Get your car's suspension an alignment.
I'm thinking its alignment or balancing, I put the snow tires on and never adjusted anything, today on the highway @ 120 I was shaking like a fu**ing earthquake. I brake straight though :S

Dammit.... I don't want to take the other cars out in the winter.
Old 02-02-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Just get a suspension check done somewhere who does it for free then get an alignment/wheel balance. If you go to the same place that you bought the tires they might do the balance for free. The alignment you will have to pay for. Don't get an alignment unti you make sure everything is perfect in the suspension because if you do and you need to do work you'll be aligning it again.

I have had shaking in the steering wheel from snow lodged everywhere in the wheel well. If you think this is it take it to a car was and power wash all the snow out of there. This will usually fix up random shaking.
Old 02-03-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

sounds like its tires or simply... how snow tires are. balance and then see how it goes.
mine did make a lot of noise and floated scarily when a wind hit the car sideways.
unfortunately, the best way would be to put the normal tires on and try, but then again using non-snow tires off-season would get you a ticket in canada, plus the risks of doing that when you meet a snow/ice patch...

Last edited by sdaidoji; 02-03-2013 at 07:18 AM.
Old 02-03-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

The place you bought them from should balance them for free... If it's a half decent shop.
Old 02-04-2013

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
The place you bought them from should balance them for free... If it's a half decent shop.
I'm getting really strange reactions... if I giver gas on the hwy I get the shakes, I let off the gas and level off and it goes away... dont know if thats indicative of anything.

It's stopped doing it at 80, only at about 100+ now.. no idea. Feels like my idol is too low as well, maybe it's just me but I'll get my mechanic to take a look at it and get his thoughts.

But yea, I bought the snow tires used and threw em on myself. So thats why im thinking getting em balanced is the place to start. Suspension looks good but I cant get it on a lift. I'll bring it in during the week when it warms up and I can take out the rustang.

thanks everyone
Old 02-04-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Cmac84
if I giver gas on the hwy I get the shakes, I let off the gas and level off and it goes away...
*could* be indications of axle, but balance first
Originally Posted by Cmac84
It's stopped doing it at 80, only at about 100+ now..
tires getting worn from balance? ... rounding themselves wrongly?...
Old 02-04-2013

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
*could* be indications of axle, but balance first

tires getting worn from balance? ... rounding themselves wrongly?...
lets hope so, I'm dropping it off tomorrow morning so I'll update this thread when I know. Shouldn't be axle just had to get it safetied again about 1 month ago? Transfered ownership out of my name (divorce stuff) and they found no major issue when inspecting it. I'm guessing it's the balance/alignment right now (maybe even hoping shall we say)
-Cheers.