7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cluster removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock is on a distinguished road
Cluster removal

I need to pull the cluster to replace the bulbs.

I'm having a hard time pulling the bezel trim off to get at the cluster. I read that the upper steering column cover needs to be removed. Is removal required?

Also do I need the special KTC trim tool?

Removal/Installation Special Tools Required KTC trim tool set SOJATP2014 NOTE: Use the appropriate tool from the KTC trim tool set to avoid damage when prying components. Take care not to scratch the dashboard and related parts. Tilt the steering column down. Remove the steering column upper cover. Remove the instrument panel (A). Remove the screws (B). Gently pull out along the bottom to release the clips (C) and hooks (D). Gently pull out the upper portion of the panel. Install the panel in the reverse order of removal, and push the clips into place securely.
Old 01-30-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cluster removal

O_o

Wanna know how I do it?
Step 1: Adjust steering wheel to lowest position
Step 2: Remove 2 screws holding in bezel
Step 3: Finagle the damn thing off. It's fairly pliable; you'll know if you're gonna break it
Step 4: Remove 2(?) screws holding cluster on
Step 5: Finagle the cluster out, removing the green and blue plugs as you can
Step 7: ??
Step 8: Profit
Old 01-31-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock is on a distinguished road
Re: Cluster removal

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
O_o

Step 3: Finagle the damn thing off. It's fairly pliable; you'll know if you're gonna break it
When you finagle it, do you pull the bottom of the bezel straight out or up and out. I understand there are clips holding the bottom of the bezel in place.

The upper steering column cover appears to be in the way. If I remove the upper steering columnn cover, will I have problems getting it back on? I read somewhere that the upper steering column cover has tabs that break if you try to remove it. Is it true?

The backlight for the numbers on the speedo are out so I can't see how fast I'm going at night. Will regular #74 bulbs fit into the socket or do I have to file them down and cram them into the sockets. I don't feel like paying Honda $10 for each bulb.