7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Spark plug life expectancy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock is on a distinguished road
Spark plug life expectancy?

Does anyone know how many miles each of the following NGK plugs will last on a stock non-modified 7th gen D17A1 engine?

Part # ZFR6F-11 or stock # 4922. V-Power Copper spark plug.
Part # ZFR6FGP or stock # 7100.* G-Power spark plug.
Part # ZFR6FIX-11 or stock # 6441.* Iridium IX spark plug.
Part # PZFR6F-11 or stock # 3271.* Laser Platinum spark plug.

Honda manual says OEM NGK Laser Platinum replacement is 110000 miles. What would the replacement interval be for the other plugs?
Old 01-28-2013
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Spark plug life expectancy?

100,000 miles for any of them....as long as nothing foreign is fouling them, such as excessive oil burning
Old 01-28-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

100,000 miles is for a none resistor plug. The v-power is a resistor plug so it won't last 100,000 miles. The electrode wears down over time. 30,000 miles is what I have always went by for resistor type plugs.
Old 01-28-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Iridium and Platinum are 100k plugs. (Includes G-Power, a platinum plug.)

Copper and V-Power are 30k plugs.

Originally Posted by mikey1
.as long as nothing foreign is fouling them, such as excessive oil burning
^^^This part.
Fouling can trash any plug no matter what it is made of.

Originally Posted by GolNat
100,000 miles is for a none resistor plug. The v-power is a resistor plug so it won't last 100,000 miles. The electrode wears down over time. 30,000 miles is what I have always went by for resistor type plugs.
False.
All on-road use spark plugs are resistor type plugs.

Last edited by ezone; 01-28-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-29-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Iridium and Platinum are 100k plugs. (Includes G-Power, a platinum plug.)
Why does Honda recommend 110,000 mile change interval if the Laser Platinum doesn't even last that long?

If the Iridium IX, Laser Platinum and G-Power all last 100,000 miles then the G-Power would be the best value since they cost just a little bit more than V-Power?

Is there any point in spending the extra money for the Iridium IX or Laser Platinum?
Old 01-30-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stock
Why does Honda recommend 110,000 mile change interval if the Laser Platinum doesn't even last that long?
Erm, huh? Why wouldn't a laser platinum last that long?

Replacement interval for platinum and iridium is 105k. 5k either way makes no difference.
Precious metal plugs don't wear the same way conventional plugs do, the gap doesn't widen significantly over the life of the plug.
Because of this, they could last the life of the car as long as the engine doesn't foul them (JMHO).

Conventional plug replacement interval was 30k. Ever seen a conventional plug that went 100k? Electrodes nearly completely missing. Gap more than double specs. Voltage required to fire a double wide gap is more than doubled, this needlessly stresses the coil, igniter, and other ignition components.

If the Iridium IX, Laser Platinum and G-Power all last 100,000 miles then the G-Power would be the best value since they cost just a little bit more than V-Power?
Depends on your goals.
Is there any point in spending the extra money for the Iridium IX or Laser Platinum?
Again, it depends on your goals.

Some people don't want to EVER open the hood.
Some people like to do just that as often as they can. There isn't much they can really accomplish under the hood nowadays, but changing plugs or oil gives a feeling of accomplishment.

Civics are super easy to change plugs on. Other engines....not so much.
-------

Picture the many designs of engines out there with intake manifolds that MUST be removed in order to access spark plugs. Or other reasons the plugs are so damned tough to reach.
This is a major reason that high mileage plugs were designed and are used.

If the plugs were only $2 each, would YOU want to pay some ridiculous amount of money for a tune up every 30k, just because it takes 3 or 4 hours to pull the intake off to change the plugs? Once every 100k sounds better, I'm sure. Plugs are now $10-$20 for that luxury.

Another reason is cost of maintenance figured for the car (cost per mile), and the magazines that help hype new car sales. They only figure the first 100k, right?

Want a kick in the azz?
Go on Majestics site and look up spark plugs for a 12 or 13 Civic Hybrid.
How much are they? (List price.)
The engine takes EIGHT of them.

Here, I'll help you out a little....12290-RW0-003
Old 01-30-2013
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ezone
Want a kick in the azz?
Go on Majestics site and look up spark plugs for a 12 or 13 Civic Hybrid.
How much are they? (List price.)
The engine takes EIGHT of them.

Here, I'll help you out a little....12290-RW0-003
HOLY #$@%! In Hawaii I bet they're $50 a piece x 8. $400 for spark plugs plus labor and tax for the none DIYer. I'm going to call the dealership for a quote tomorrow just out of curiosity because I bet I'm close.
Old 01-30-2013
Registered!!

WTF??? 12290-RW0-003 are $28.30 a plug x 8 = $226.40!!! What's the change interval for the hybrid?

The Laser Platinum has platinum on both the center and ground electrodes where as the G-Power has platinum only on the center electrode and not on the ground electrode. Iridium IX also has a regular ground electrode and iridium on the center.

Because of this will the Laser Platinum retain proper gap over the life of the plug compared to the G-Power or Iridium IX?
Old 01-30-2013

Originally Posted by stock
WTF??? 12290-RW0-003 are $28.30 a plug x 8 = $226.40!!! What's the change interval for the hybrid?
Still 105k like the rest, (Maint minder item #4, AFAIK it hasn't changed?) And look at the LIST price.
The Laser Platinum has platinum on both the center and ground electrodes where as the G-Power has platinum only on the center electrode and not on the ground electrode. Iridium IX also has a regular ground electrode and iridium on the center.

Because of this will the Laser Platinum retain proper gap over the life of the plug compared to the G-Power or Iridium IX?
They are still good for an easy 100k. If you follow the factory maint recommendations, there will be no problem. A normal human isn't going to wear them out in that mileage.
EDIT: Factory spec'd plugs last that long. G-Power are not factory spec'd plugs AFAIK. I'd still expect 60-100k from G-Power though. I haven't noticed significant wear on the Iridium plug ground electrodes either.

Even at 200,000+ miles, the gap has not been significantly increased from what I have observed. And we have plenty of people that didn't replace them at 100k. Ground electrode might get slightly rounded on the end by 200k, but not eroded away. JMHO. YMMV.

Originally Posted by Matt_75
HOLY #$@%! In Hawaii I bet they're $50 a piece x 8. $400 for spark plugs plus labor and tax for the none DIYer. I'm going to call the dealership for a quote tomorrow just out of curiosity because I bet I'm close.
I bet whatever phone jockey you talk to thinks there must only be 4 plugs and will price quote accordingly. "It only has 4 cylinders, therefore there can only be 4 plugs." All plugs are only $20 each.
Or they price it off a menu.

Last edited by ezone; 01-30-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-30-2013
Registered!!

Hiryuu is an unknown quantity at this point

I ran G-Power plugs for 40k and they were very worn out. Replaced them with Laser Platinum and hoping they'll last 80-100k
Old 02-01-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Hiryuu
I ran G-Power plugs for 40k and they were very worn out. Replaced them with Laser Platinum and hoping they'll last 80-100k
40K seems very premature. Is your engine modified? Were the plugs fouled?
Old 02-01-2013
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Holy ballz I've never seen so much spark plug discussion as I've seen around here in the past few days. There's another thread on the go right now with video on how to change plugs and lots of people posting on how to properly change a plug.

Nice to see everybody's life is as boring as mine.

My only 02 here is personally I like changing plugs once and a while so I would go with the cheapest lowest mileage ones I could get. Lets face it a Honda Civic is probably almost the easiest thing you'll ever change plugs in with maybe the exception of and air cooled motorcycle or a lawnmower.

When I tried to register for this site originally my first choice for a user name was 'Stock' nice to finally meet you stock.

rep for that, lol