7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

License plate lamps not working.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013
Just looking to save some MPG!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PhillyTurboSix is on a distinguished road
License plate lamps not working.

My 05 Civic license plate lamps are not working. Tried several lamps nothing. Every other lamp on the car works. Tail lights, brake lights, 3rd brake light, trunk light all good. Trunk and car is super clean. Wiggled the connectors, followed the harness a bit all looks clean nothing pinched anywhere everything looks perfect they just won't light. Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 01-21-2013
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: License plate lamps not working.

well the first thing i would do is turn the lights on and test for voltage with a voltmeter at the bulb connector to ground....if voltage is present, test the ground connection at the connector.....if a new bulb is not working then one of these tests will fail....then you need to start tracing wires backwards from the connector
Old 01-22-2013
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Sedan ??

Are your inner tails inop as well ??

You likely have a broken connection at the junction or RED/YEL wires where they flex when opening closing trunk (under the deck) There is a bulletin on this problem.

You can unwrap the tape on plastic wiring loom and open it up. Find the red/yel leading to trunk lid and tug lightly to see if it moves. Move forward and find junction. Attach new short length of wire and connect back into circuit (I suggest wrap and solder)
Old 01-22-2013

Thanks Mike and Craig for your posts!

@Mike: I used one of those voltage lamp testers and found no power there at the sockets. I want to get my multi-meter on it but we have a cold snap here in Philly and I can't even stand to be outside for 10 mins! Yea I know I'm a b!tch! lol

@Craig: Yes it is a sedan and I'm willing to bet you solved it for me with your post! I knew it had to be something along those lines. I can't say for sure about the inner tails but I will check tonight but I think they may be out as well. I'm just discovering what's lite back there and what's a reflector. I do remember when I drove the car for the first time at night it seemed dark back there! I can solder and I typically use solder and heat-shrink on all my connections so if that's the issue I'll fix it to last for sure! As soon as the temps come back up here in Philly I will look into this and let you guys know my findings! Thanks so much for your posts!!
Old 01-23-2013

Originally Posted by CraigW
Sedan ??

You likely have a broken connection at the junction or RED/YEL wires where they flex when opening closing trunk (under the deck) There is a bulletin on this problem.

You can unwrap the tape on plastic wiring loom and open it up. Find the red/yel leading to trunk lid and tug lightly to see if it moves. Move forward and find junction. Attach new short length of wire and connect back into circuit (I suggest wrap and solder)
Checked the inner tails and yup.. dead! Thanks again as soon as it warms up a pinch outside I'll dig into this! Thanks again for the post!
Old 01-27-2013

Thumbs up Re: License plate lamps not working.

Sedan ??

Well look what I found!!

Looks like someone was here before and didn't crimp the wires too well! As I was unwrapping the tape it stopped and I could tell someone had hacked into the tape before. I can see why this is an issue. You have 3 wires crimping into one at this point. I added some wire for breathing room, soldered, shrink wrapped it, and taped up the harness again. All my lights are happy again! I can't wait to come out of work tonight when it's dark Thanks again so much Craig for you post!! Figured I'd take some pics for those who want to find this issue to see just where it's at!
Old 01-27-2013

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

No problem, searched and never found the bulletin.

Pretty easy fix though.
Old 01-27-2013

No problem, searched and never found the bulletin.

Pretty easy fix though.
Real easy fix when someone like you gives me a start point! That would have had me nuts trying to find that little catch! Thanks again!
Old 01-28-2013
Registered!!

plasmaok is an unknown quantity at this point

i had the same probelm when i frist got my o4 a year ago was pulled over for the plate lamps not working put new bulbs in nothing i messed with this for a few days never could get anything so i googled it and what do u know its those stupid wires up in the trunk added extra whire heat shrinked it and till this day still works great
Old 01-28-2013

You have to wonder how many Civic's are running around with this issue. I'll be checking everyone I see on the roads
Old 06-05-2013
Registered!!

bulls2030 is an unknown quantity at this point

can someone point me where exactly is this location where the wire is loose?
i have the same exact issue and i dont know anything about car wiring so i dont want to mess with anything that will mess the car up
Originally Posted by PhillyTurboSix
Well look what I found!!

Looks like someone was here before and didn't crimp the wires too well! As I was unwrapping the tape it stopped and I could tell someone had hacked into the tape before. I can see why this is an issue. You have 3 wires crimping into one at this point. I added some wire for breathing room, soldered, shrink wrapped it, and taped up the harness again. All my lights are happy again! I can't wait to come out of work tonight when it's dark Thanks again so much Craig for you post!! Figured I'd take some pics for those who want to find this issue to see just where it's at!
Old 06-05-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bulls2030
i have the same exact issue and i dont know anything about car wiring so i dont want to mess with anything that will mess the car up

Here's the service info:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/th...36_A08-094.pdf

If you don't understand what to do with it yourself, then print this bulletin and take it to your mechanic.
Old 06-05-2013

It's very simple. Follow the harness on the passenger side of the trunk deck from the lid bracket and you can match up on your car to my pictures. Just stick your head under there and you'll see the loom and where to open it and look for the wire. You could always use wire nuts with a small piece of wire if you can't use a crimping tool. Tape it all up and you should be fine. very simple easy fix.
Old 06-05-2013
Registered!!

Thank you very much for your reply
Is this the area you are talking about?
all the wires are wrapped up in black tape. i dont see any wire there that is disconnected
if you could help me with some detailed description of what to do i would appreciate it
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g126nohxiq...2019.28.52.jpg

It's very simple. Follow the harness on the passenger side of the trunk deck from the lid bracket and you can match up on your car to my pictures. Just stick your head under there and you'll see the loom and where to open it and look for the wire. You could always use wire nuts with a small piece of wire if you can't use a crimping tool. Tape it all up and you should be fine. very simple easy fix.
Old 06-05-2013

Thank you very much for your reply
Is this the area you are talking about?
all the wires are wrapped up in black tape. i dont see any wire there that is disconnected
if you could help me with some detailed description of what to do i would appreciate it
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g126nohxiq...2019.28.52.jpg
You got it! In that picture I can see the broken wire! It's that black wrapped wire next to the red there. Peel it open some more and pull on it the broken end might be up the loom a little more. Your on to it!
Old 06-05-2013
Registered!!

thank you very much. i really appreciate it.
but i found it and wrapped it up with electrical tape but after i retaped the black wire tube it wasnt working again.
its nighttime here so i will try it again tommorow.
do you recommend how to make sure its solid and doesnt happen again?
i have 0 knowledge of electrical

your help is greatly appreciated.

You got it! In that picture I can see the broken wire! It's that black wrapped wire next to the red there. Peel it open some more and pull on it the broken end might be up the loom a little more. Your on to it!
Old 06-05-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

You have to ADD a length of new wire or else you end up stressing the old one and breaking the connection again.

Go back and read the bulletin PDF I linked a while ago.
Old 06-06-2013

Once you unwrap the tape the loom has a continuous split where you can access wires.