7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Front stud/lug replacement. Almost done. Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012
Livin' life

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jgallag is an unknown quantity at this point
Front stud/lug replacement. Almost done. Please help!

Happy Thanksgiving all!

I snapped off 3 out of 4 lug nuts from the front driver side studs. Based on help from Gearbox and others, I took off the brakes and rotors. I attached pictures where I am now. Please help! From where I am now, there still is not enough clearance to get the studs out. I am guessing that I have to take off the nut in the center, but I don't know the size OR whether or not it will mess up areas that I will have problems putting back together. What are the final steps, please? I feel confident doing what I did, but don't want to get in over my head?

In short, based on the pics, what are my next steps / advice? Most things are closed today (Thanksgiving) and I don't have the option of taking the car to the dealer since 3 out of 4 lugs are snapped.

Thanks for any advice!

JEFF
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Front driver side rotor off.jpeg
Views:	269
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	84322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Honda studs.jpeg
Views:	216
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	84323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Side shot.jpeg
Views:	173
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	84324  
Old 11-22-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: Front stud/lug replacement. Almost done. Please help!

thats because you need a hub puller to do the job.

it pulls your hub out and THEN you need a hydraulic press to press out the old studs and press in the new ones.

this isnt a novice kind of job fyi. it requires more mature tools than the ones found in your ordinary household.
Old 11-22-2012

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

under any circumstances do not think you can hammer them out. this will create uneven wear and distortion to your hub and parts.
Old 11-22-2012
Livin' life

jgallag is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you think getting the correct socket (32 mm, I think), taking off the axle nut, and pulling off the hub would work? I have replaced studs/lugs on the drums in the rear of the car.

Thanks!!
Old 11-22-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
under any circumstances do not think you can hammer them out. this will create uneven wear and distortion to your hub and parts.
Um, I do exactly that to remove the studs.
I use greased washers and a standard nut to draw the stud into the hole.

If there is insufficient clearance:
To remove the old, I can chop off any part of the bad stud to get it out.
To install, I can grind a section of the wide part of the stud off to clear the casting of the knuckle. There is a limit to how much material I am willing to remove though. I don't like to remove more than enough to make a flat on one side, maybe 25%.

One of these years I need to drag my knuckles into the 21st century and make videos of some of the things I do.

OP: Pull the whole knuckle off and carry it to a machine shop, or to someone that has a hydraulic press.
Old 11-22-2012

haha. i prefer not to bang on components to rotate (like my hub) where i can damage it. but thats just me.
Old 11-25-2012
Busy Speeding!!

SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough

When I snapped my lugs I took it to a guy I know and he just chopped off the broken studs, ground down the new ones, and put them in.

http://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum...acement-19175/
Old 11-25-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
You can hammer the studs out, I wouldnt try hammering the hub out of the knuckle though.
Old 11-25-2012

That stud can be pressed out with a c clamp and a big nut.
Old 11-25-2012
Registered!!

D Murphy is an unknown quantity at this point

Removing the nut (32 mm) will only remove the axle from the hub, it will not free the hub from the bearing. I would recommend you remove the knuckle and take it to a repair shop. There is not sufficient space to hammer them out unless you can cut parts of them off. A repair shop should be able to do that for you.
Old 11-25-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SlimRisk
When I snapped my lugs I took it to a guy I know and he just chopped off the broken studs, ground down the new ones, and put them in.

http://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum...acement-19175/
Good find. That's pretty much what I do if there is sufficient room.

A hammer is just a simple swing press:
Hydraulic press if the hub needs to come out, but it CAN be hammered out if one has something appropriate (drift) to beat on. You cannot beat directly on the hub, it will get deformed.

One guy I work with does this every time a wheel bearing needs replaced, because that is how he learned to do it, but: "What has been learned cannot be unlearned."
Some people can go to great lengths to make things more difficult that they need to be. He is one of them. He learned it this way, now he will never ever use a press to push the hub out.
I seriously think that if he had learned the Earth was flat, it could never ever be round, no matter what.

I have also cut a slice in a knuckle in order to do studs too, but that was a screwy deal.
Old 11-28-2012
Registered!!

CGaud is an unknown quantity at this point

When I attempted this myself I used a hub puller w/ a slide hammer attached. When I had the hub off I placed it in between two boards and used a small hammer to knock the stud through then I used an open ended lug nut w/ a washer to help draw the new stud through. It worked well but I did have to work pretty hard to get the hub off and at times I thought it wouldn't come off at all.

I haven't had any problems since the repair.
Old 11-28-2012

I used a hub puller w/ a slide hammer attached.
Just an FYI: I have actually seen hubs get bent using a slide hammer, that's why I don't use this method.
Old 11-28-2012
Registered!!

CGaud is an unknown quantity at this point

^^^^
Didn't know it could bend the hub b/c it seems like a pretty solid part but it did work for me. I always err on the side of caution (watching to make sure hub was being seated properly)... I researched it and read a few diys on the process and tried it out. Worked for me but I suppose not everyone would be comfortable with it.

If I had the tools and the machine shop I definitely would have gone that route.