7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2003 civic cruise problem solved !

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R0bert42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile 2003 civic cruise problem solved !

Our 2003 Civic had a real nasty cruise control problem what made it so nasty was that the cruise would work fine for the first 30 minutes of driving THEN it would start cutting out on its own a bad intermittent condition. You could turn off the cruise control switch on the dash and then turn it back on and that would reset it and it would work for a little while then it would cut out again this got more frequent until it would run only a couple of minutes before cutting out. I installed a new brake switch , Then took the Cruise actuator or servo apart and could see that it was basically a DC motor and a few parts I soldered some press in wire connections in the actuator that looked suspicious with no good results. I Inspected the cables to the throttle body and each time I did one of these things I then had to drive the civic for over 30 minutes to see if the problem was cured of course with gas so expensive I waited each time to test the civic until we were going someplace so this whole process took MONTHS . Well two weeks ago in my quest to solve the problem having tried everything else I purchased a new "Cruise Module " on the part it says "Auto Cruise" Honda part number 36700-S5A-A31 and installed it in our civic. We have been out driving now for several trips the last one to Fort Wayne Indiana a distance of 80 miles each way WITH NO PROBLEMS . So the trouble was the cruise control module . This was very easy to change it took a few minutes just remove the panels with the twist snaps below the steering wheel and the module is a little black box to the left of the steering wheel up under the dash held in by one 10 mm hex head screw . squeeze the plastic plug and pull it out of the module(this takes a few tries) and take out the mounting screw with a ratchet and a 10 mm socket . The module snaps into the metal bracket just pry it out and snap in the new one and install it back in the civic . You can imagine the COST $$$$ of having an auto technician trouble shoot a problem like this this is the sort of thing that gives repair techs nightmares. So I am posting it here and perhaps someone else will benifit from my months of troubleshooting my honda civic cruise control problem . Keep Em Rollin and HAPPY THANKSGIVING ! R0bert42
Old 11-23-2012
Registered!!

gt-ca is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2003 civic cruise problem solved !

Thanks for documenting this
Old 11-17-2014
Registered!!

GROOOOVED is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2003 civic cruise problem solved !

Originally Posted by gt-ca