7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

p0304 misfire 2002 lx, WHAT NEXT?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hiphop4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point
p0304 misfire 2002 lx, WHAT NEXT?

i have swapped coils, injectors and done a compression test and it still comes back saying cylinder 4 misfire. iono what to check next. Im thinkin bout checking wiring that goes to coils or valve adjustment(never done one)...i can only feel it misfire randomly at idle but it runs fine when i give it gas...advice?

p.s. how bad would it be to drive 500+ miles with this code spittin out?
Old 10-16-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: p0304 misfire 2002 lx, WHAT NEXT?

What are the results of your compression test?

What is the MAP Voltage at hot idle, in neutral or park, with no loads?

Both of the above might lead me to some sort of conclusion about the valves.....Why haven't you adjusted the valves already?
(Don't bother answering that. Just do it.)

p.s. how bad would it be to drive 500+ miles with this code spittin out?
Depends.
Old 10-17-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
What are the results of your compression test?
i had an independent shop do it and they told me...
cylinder 1- holding 80% (rings)
cylinder 2- holding 80% (rings)
cylinder 3- holding 97%
cylinder 4- holding 94%

they put rings in parentheses telling me the rings wearing out are the reason its not holding so well

What is the MAP Voltage at hot idle, in neutral or park, with no loads?
iono what that is or how to check but i do have a multi meter.(?)

Both of the above might lead me to some sort of conclusion about the valves.....Why haven't you adjusted the valves already?
(Don't bother answering that. Just do it.)

Depends.
ive never knew of this as a routine/preventitive maintance job until reading and asking around about this misfire. if its holding good compression wouldnt that say on its own the valves are fine?

Some history for this car, ive recently(within the last month) changed head gasket, timing belt(just re-adjusted time to fix hi idling issue 2 weeks ago), waterpump, thermostat, hoses, had the head cleaned and leak checked at some hole in the wall head shop, intake manifold gasket, and valve cover seals. the original issue was blown headgasket and i just did the rest since i was going that deep into it

TYIA
Old 10-17-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

cylinder 1- holding 80% (rings)
cylinder 2- holding 80% (rings)
cylinder 3- holding 97%
cylinder 4- holding 94%
Those aren't compression readings, those would be cylinder leakage readings.
This test should only come AFTER a compression test that gave poor results.

This does not explain a #4 misfire yet.

if its holding good compression wouldnt that say on its own the valves are fine?
All it would indicate is that the valves can seal against some pressure (compression). Doesn't indicate much about proper adjustment.
And you don't have any results from a compression test here to evaluate anyway.

(within the last month) changed head gasket
This would have been the ideal time to adjust the valves.

New question: What is the Freeze Frame data from the P0304 misfire code? Post that so I can read it..
Old 10-17-2012

If the check engine light is still on, go to a parts store and get the code read---AND get the freeze frame data. Printout or write it all down.
Old 10-18-2012
Registered!!

so i did a proper compression test just a dry run since the oil can i got isnt working
4 - 134
3 - 161
2 - 163
1 - 139

didnt have time for the freeze frame data today...and could i get info on gettin map voltage
Old 10-18-2012

Originally Posted by hiphop4x4
so i did a proper compression test just a dry run since the oil can i got isnt working
4 - 134
3 - 161
2 - 163
1 - 139

didnt have time for the freeze frame data today...and could i get info on gettin map voltage
If those results are truly accurate, figure out why #1 and #4 are low.

Actually, all 4 are lower than my typical results. I expect 180-220 out of these engines.
Old 10-18-2012
Registered!!

Did a leak down today...set cyl 4 tdc best I could only turning the cam, and It was losing 35% an could here obvious air blowing thru the hole on the valve cover that goes to the intake filter case...when I would plug it with my finger I would hear air flow from the #1 spark Plug hole....not covering anything i could hear a lil in the crank case and tad bit from the throttle body...radiator wasn't giving off any noise...it was low coolant tho so ima top off later do it again and see if any bubbles come out...I then did cylinder 1, set it to tdc using camshaft again. It had a 50% leak, heard no air coming from the intake vaccum line tho on the top of the valve cover but I did hear noise in the number 3&4 cylinder spark plug holes...again I heard air from crank case and tad bit from throttle body with the throttle open

I'm going to do a valve adjustment after work tonight since it'll be about 70 degrees tonight and cars been sitting for 2 days...I've never done one before but after watching some vids it doesn't look to hard

Can only learn by doing and hopefully this ****'ll fix my misfire
Old 10-18-2012

Yes, check and adjust valves. Gotta make sure the valves can shut completely.
Old 10-19-2012
Registered!!

i just finished up with the valve adjustment and noticed they were ALL tight as ****....i did a compression test on cylinder 4 and AMAZINGLY it went up to 180!!! couldnt believe it so i did it again and same results...didnt have time for the rest of the cylinders but ima get to em in the morning....but the 180 makes me feel good

thanks for the support ezone
Old 10-19-2012
Registered!!

I put everything back together and it's running sooooooo smooth...if anyone has similar misfire issues then valve adjustment should do the trick
Old 10-29-2012
Registered!!

fsckewe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hiphop4x4
I put everything back together and it's running sooooooo smooth...if anyone has similar misfire issues then valve adjustment should do the trick
Woaaahhh cowboy. I beg to differ!

Glad you got it sorted, nonetheless.