7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Transmission probs

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F4mousfiin4m is an unknown quantity at this point
Transmission probs

I have this problem with my transmission and was wondering if anyone could tell me what it is. The axel won't go fully into the transmission and there is a rod blocking it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	84136  

Last edited by F4mousfiin4m; 10-02-2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Erase a portion
Old 10-02-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Transmission probs

That's supposed to be there. It's the cross shaft for the spider gears.

You get a wrong axle? Compare to the old one.
Old 10-02-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

probably using an aftermarket chinese junk axle
Old 10-02-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
That's supposed to be there. It's the cross shaft for the spider gears.

You get a wrong axle? Compare to the old one.
//////
Well bought it about 4 months ago cause the boot was ripped and replaced it but it went in fine back then. I was driving and it slipped out. Now it won't go back in like normal. Shouldn't it push all the way to wall of the tranny to be flush? And is there any way to move it out of the way?
Old 10-02-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I was driving and it slipped out. Now it won't go back in like normal.
1) How far DOES it go back in?
2) Does it still have the snap ring near the tip? I have seen them twist off the end at the snap ring groove if it was slipped out while under a lot of power.
3) Are the splines twisted now? Same reason as above.

Should not be completely flush with the trans, there has to be a bit of room for things to move---maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inch?. Should slip in to the point that the snap ring can expand and lock it in place.

Got pics?
Old 10-02-2012
Registered!!

1) How far DOES it go back in?
2) Does it still have the snap ring near the tip? I have seen them twist off the end at the snap ring groove if it was slipped out while under a lot of power.
3) Are the splines twisted now? Same reason as above.

Should not be completely flush with the trans, there has to be a bit of room for things to move---maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inch?. Should slip in to the point that the snap ring can expand and lock it in place.

Got pics?
It goes back in about 1/2 the way it seems
There is still a snap ring at the tip of the axel and there is no twists in the spline. But the snap ring doesn't snap in
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	84143  
Old 10-02-2012

I'd need to compare to a fresh axle to be sure, but it looks like the short stub (to the left of the snap ring) used to have actual splines on it.
Like they got sheared down.
And it is keeping the snap ring trapped (or the ring never expanded properly to lock the axle into the trans).
The snap ring seems like it is collapsed or trapped in its groove now.
It should be able to expand so half the width of the ring is bigger than the splines, but right now it looks compressed.

I think you need to try a fresh axle.
Old 10-03-2012
Registered!!

I'd need to compare to a fresh axle to be sure, but it looks like the short stub (to the left of the snap ring) used to have actual splines on it.
Like they got sheared down.
And it is keeping the snap ring trapped (or the ring never expanded properly to lock the axle into the trans).
The snap ring seems like it is collapsed or trapped in its groove now.
It should be able to expand so half the width of the ring is bigger than the splines, but right now it looks compressed.

I think you need to try a fresh axle.
yeah i was looking somewhere else that said the snap clip on the aftermarket axel would be smaller and less quality than the honda one that came stock. and i would switch them but i already junked the old axel.
it just seems like that rod wasnt there before. cause i sent the picture to my mechanic buddy who works mainly on hondas and said that wasnt normal. because i can feel the axel hitting that rod and stopping it about halfway.
Old 10-03-2012

i can feel the axel hitting that rod and stopping it about halfway.
If you could measure the depth to that shaft, you would probably find it can't be the cause of the problem.
my mechanic buddy who works mainly on hondas
Good night. Post back what the fix is.
Old 10-04-2012
Registered!!

If you could measure the depth to that shaft, you would probably find it can't be the cause of the problem. Good night. Post back what the fix is.
//
Yeah, i still haven't figured out what the fix is. im gonna make it to the parts store today to see if i can get a new axel.
Old 10-09-2012
Registered!!

benjaminz15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone ever had their tranny cut out when shifting into 3rd or 4th gear?

My 2000 DX, which is an automatic just revs as if it was in neutral when I keep my foot on the gas. It is an automatic transmission. My first guess is that the transmission is just gone, but it still starts fine and goes into drive at first and i can even put it in reverse, just cuts out after about 30 seconds or if I try to push it into 3rd or 4th.

Ive heard that this could be the throttle valve cable being out of adjustment and needs to be adjusted, but im not sure how to adjust it...

Anything would be helpful.

Thanks.