Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Head Gasket problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lynnh is an unknown quantity at this point
Head Gasket problems

Has anyone had head gasket problems in 2004 Honda Civics due to possible "hot spots"? Trying to find out if this is an issue with certain year models.
Old 10-02-2012
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Head Gasket problems

what do u mean by a hot spot?

what is happening that makes you think you have a problem?
Old 10-02-2012
Registered!!

I had to have the HG replaced. Coolant was filling up my overflow tank & tests confirmed it had to be replaced. I have read on other sites that a possible cause is that "hot spots" develop in the cylinder head between the center cylinders and causes "thermal crush". Apparently it was common in older Honda Civics with 1.3 & 1.5L engines.
Old 10-02-2012
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

generally speaking when a head gasket fails, the coolant level will drop, not increase, that is very odd
Old 10-02-2012
Registered!!

The coolant level did drop & went into the overflow tank. The HG definitely went bad (I have a very good, honest mechanic) & I am trying to find out if there is possibly some faulty gaskets on some Honda Civics mfg'd during a specific time or if it is an issue with certain models/years of Hondas.
Old 10-02-2012
Registered!!

if the coolant level drops, the amount in the overflow tank would go down, not up
Old 10-02-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mikey1
if the coolant level drops, the amount in the overflow tank would go down, not up
Head gaskets can fail in different ways. In the 7th gen Civic the most common failure allows combustion gases into the cooling system. This displaces coolant with gases and forces the coolant into the overflow tank.
Old 10-03-2012
Registered!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
bryan.0831 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pjb3
Head gaskets can fail in different ways. In the 7th gen Civic the most common failure allows combustion gases into the cooling system. This displaces coolant with gases and forces the coolant into the overflow tank.

And spits it out from the overflow tank cap like hot fire!!
I own a 2005 and It happened to me twice already... I am a very lucky 7th gen owner.
Old 10-09-2012
Registered!!

Largen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pjb3
Just happened to mine like... two months ago. the bugger was not giving me ANY signs of what it was besides lost coolant, then one day it pressurized my coolant system, took the stupid thing long enough......

As for the "hot spots" if that is the cause (could be MANY more things) let your car idle for a bit before shutdown, and run it easy for a few minutes if you have been bagging on it before shutdown to help normalize the tempurature of the engine. should help prevent pre-mature Failure of the Gasket in the future, and thats a Should***
Old 06-13-2020
Registered!!

hray is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lynnh
Has anyone had head gasket problems in 2004 Honda Civics due to possible "hot spots"? Trying to find out if this is an issue with certain year models.
The deck get warped on the block,, bad engine design,, take something that is flat and is as long and wide as the block glue sandpaper to it,, ,,, you can use a black felt marker on the deck,, then sand and you will see all the low spots,, resurface the head and the deck should be really smooth,, check dowels pins aren't bottoming out,,
Old 06-13-2020
Registered!!

hray is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lynnh
Block beck is warped,,, flat plat as long and wide as the cyl and sandpaper 200grit finish with 400grit & thenbuffing wheel,,, glue the sandpaper spray adhesive,,, black sharpie the deck,, you can see all the low spots,,,,