7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Stumped on this 01 Civic Misfire issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
david12092 is an unknown quantity at this point
Stumped on this 01 Civic Misfire issue

Hi, im new to this seeking some advice on my civic. so car has 150k on it check engine light has been on for about 5k no major problems codes initially read misfire on cylinders (all) runs fine blah blah so my bday comes around and i need emissions so i pay about 400 for a valve replacement and the light went off long enough to get it passed. so it came back on about 2 weeks later and at this point i didnt care because i wasnt getting an expired tag ticket and it ran fine not to mention its a honda... So 5 months later (after it was in the shop/today) i go to lunch and my engine light is blinking and it had done this before but only at stop lights only during an idol but this time it stayed blinking it felt very weak and was running rough. I found an article that said cam sensor so i just got done with rplacing the cam sensor and the plugs and its still doing the same thing!! my only guess is the caty is bad (no codes from autozone on the caty only misfire) or the coils but the coils are less than a year old they were replaced when i initially faced this issue. along with the recommended NGK plugs. wiring harness for the coils??? im super lost and dont have the time and money to work on a car that should be good another 100k any advice greatly appreciated

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!
Old 09-20-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stumped on this 01 Civic Misfire issue

Why would you ignore problems for so long?
Might have been an easy fix if caught early. Or not.

im super lost and dont have the time and money to work on a car..........any advice greatly appreciated
Options:
1) Learn how to DIY
2) Pay to have someone else fix it
3) Cliff it and get another ride.

that should be good another 100k
It won't make another 100k if you can't take care of it.

Now, to the problem at hand:
What was the code in the computer? P0xxx what?
Only one cylinder?
Swap coils with a good cylinder: Does the misfire move with the coil?

What are the results of the compression test?
(HINT: You might start with a compression test.)

Maybe I should post an obligatory pic of a parts cannon.....