7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Auto Transmission Update + Possible Reliable Rebuilt Trans

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicVoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Auto Transmission Update + Possible Reliable Rebuilt Trans

First, I would like thank gearbox for recommending a flush with Valvoline MaxLife. I have an 02 with about 100,000miles and transmissions shifts and drives a lot better than with the Honda ATF. I had a bit of slippage and now its totally gone.. at least in the warm weather.. I will keep everybody posted if it comes back when it gets colder.

Second, I know there hasn't been many successful shops that have rebuilt our transmissions, but check out these rebuilt civic transmissions. They have identified and corrected all the defects this board has discussed in the past. For $995, it seems like a good deal if it turns out to be a solid rebuild.

What do you guys think?

The transmissions have been overhauled with:
· New steel and friction clutches
· All new o-rings and seals
· A new internal filter
· New torque converter
· New differential bearings
· Dyno testing done on all transmissions
· An add-on external filter with magnet to catch debris from old transmission.
· All are updated, and come with A WRITTEN 24 MONTH WARRANTY

Updates Include:
· Increasing the pressure in the valve body to the torque converter so it lasts longer
· A new HEAVY DUTY torque converter
· An external filter

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-2005-HO...=mtr#vi-ilComp

http://www.willowcreektransmissions.com/
Old 09-05-2012
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Auto Transmission Update + Possible Reliable Rebuilt Trans

of course it shifts alot better, the fluid is brand new, it has nothing to do with the type of fluid you used....chances are the slippage will return, new fluid will not fix a problem, it will only disguise it for a short period of time
Old 09-05-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

The viscosity is the reason, not only new fluid. That helps, but the properties of the new does the "magic".

I have no knowledge there. I built my own for half that and it has close to 40k on it. I know, out of most guys scope. The only question I have is this, what kind of car to you have? It will work, is it the "best"? Dunno. BMXA I believe was only in EX trims. The difference was in mainly the shift logic and the ratio of gears. In short, it will work, but may not be the same as it was. The reason was difference in HP from VTEC to not VTEC, and the short ratio in EX trannies make the VTEC closer to cruise rpms. This is also why LXs tend to get better mileage than EXs. My EX cruises between 3500 rpms and 4000 rpms at 70 mph.
Old 09-05-2012
Registered!!

RichJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by johndeerebones
My EX cruises between 3500 rpms and 4000 rpms at 70 mph.
My EX is an 04 and at 70 it's just a touch under 3k.

Rich
Old 09-05-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1
of course it shifts alot better, the fluid is brand new, it has nothing to do with the type of fluid you used....chances are the slippage will return, new fluid will not fix a problem, it will only disguise it for a short period of time
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I drained/filled the transmission on average every 30-35,000miles with Honda ATF. When I switched over, the Honda fluid that came out looked brand new, just a bit darker red than the brand new maxlife. Not sure what your "short" period of time is, but I flushed it back in May, not a single slip since.
Old 09-05-2012
Registered!!

johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by RichJ
My EX is an 04 and at 70 it's just a touch under 3k.

Rich
I'll gps it tommorow and see what my rpms are. possible my speedo is off. what size tires do you have?
Old 09-05-2012
Registered!!

I'll gps it tommorow and see what my rpms are. possible my speedo is off. what size tires do you have?
195/60-15 Potenza Grid 019's, like them except they're noisier than the Firestone Winterforce snow tires I have. According to my GPS the speedo is right on the money.

Rich
Old 09-05-2012
Registered!!

That is the same size as I have. Stockers. I think mine may be a couple miles off. I'll check it tomorrow.

Auto for you too?
Old 09-05-2012
Registered!!

That is the same size as I have. Stockers. I think mine may be a couple miles off. I'll check it tomorrow.

Auto for you too?
YUP, would love a stick but I drive into and in Chicago for 4 days a week and I couldn't stand the bumper to bumper hassle.

Rich
Old 09-06-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

maxlife is a good fluid and with its lower viscosity will start working/warming up faster than the honda stuff. so it the summer you wouldnt notice anything but in winter it will prolly still slip until warm. but it is thin enough that it wont take as long.
Old 09-06-2012
Registered!!

YUP, would love a stick but I drive into and in Chicago for 4 days a week and I couldn't stand the bumper to bumper hassle.

Rich
3250rpm.

Maybe they changed in the later years.
Old 09-06-2012
Registered!!

3250rpm.

Maybe they changed in the later years.
Mines an 04 just drove from Chicago to SW Michigan, at 3K RPM it's traveling at 75~76MPH.
My main complaint with this vehicle is compared to my 1992 5.0 T-Bird the wind noise is god awful. At 70 you could open the passenger window 2 to 3 inches and the noise level would only go up 3dB in the bird.

Rich
Old 09-06-2012
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Mines an 04 just drove from Chicago to SW Michigan, at 3K RPM it's traveling at 75~76MPH.
My main complaint with this vehicle is compared to my 1992 5.0 T-Bird the wind noise is god awful. At 70 you could open the passenger window 2 to 3 inches and the noise level would only go up 3dB in the bird.

Rich
i have an 05 LX auto....at 120 KPH it is just below 3,000 RPM
Old 09-06-2012
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Everyone who I tell that my trans is only a 4SPD "what your trans is only a 4spd?"...everything is 6 and 7 spds now!
Old 09-06-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie
Everyone who I tell that my trans is only a 4SPD "what your trans is only a 4spd?"...everything is 6 and 7 spds now!

If they don't know that 6 and 7 speed autos are a recent addittion they don't know automatics anyway. 15 years ago 6 speed autos where unheard of.
Old 09-06-2012
Registered!!

Under 3 at 75 is why LXs tend to get better mileage. (Disclaimer: This is highway, NOT stop and go like a huge percentage of us do most of the time we're driving.) I usually avg around 32 mpg with a few tanks of all highway when I go on vacation and such. I don't mean 100 miles of hwy, I mean 800 to 1000 miles. 2 or 3 tanks...

Heard alot of guys say they are regularly in the high 30s, a few more too.

on edit: Sorry OP you had a good topic, I kinda got it of course....
Old 09-06-2012
Registered!!

So my second question is there any reliable rebuild kits out there? Any vendors that sell brand new Honda automatic transmissions?
Old 09-06-2012
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

you wouldnt want a new honda trans. it will have the same problems after a while. the only rebuild kit ive seen that actually works is the tci master racing kit that members used with turbo and never had slippage.
Old 09-07-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
you wouldnt want a new honda trans. it will have the same problems after a while. the only rebuild kit ive seen that actually works is the tci master racing kit that members used with turbo and never had slippage.

Cant seem to find the TCI rebuild kit for our cars?
Old 09-07-2012
Premium Member

yeah its been discontinued but i believe someone recently posted that you can get it thru ALTO (the company that makes the red eagle clutches for the above kit).