7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Installing dynamat question

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012
Delightfully tacky. Yet unrefined

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
m3gach33zy is an unknown quantity at this point
Installing dynamat question

I finally got my sub working a while ago so now I need some sound deadening installed . I was looking at the trunk but I'm a little confused how I should install it over the rear speakers and trunk spring? Should I just cut holes out for the speakers? Or do you not need to put any there?

I've read through several threads:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...ening-diy.html

But I don't understand where you are supposed to fill the cracks with silicone? Additionally, my sub seems to leak a LOT of air around the edges where it screws in should I silicone that up too?
Old 08-04-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Installing dynamat question

I have never used dynamat, but what I have seen you are suppose to cut a hole around the speaker. The same for trunk spring. As small a hole as possible for the spring. I would think that you fill the cracks between the squares of dynamat so that's it air tight. Your sub box should definatly not have leaks if its a sealed inclosure. I would get a gasket and re-seal the sub in the box. They make an adhesive type that you can stick around the outside of the hole. Silicone would work but wouldn't re-seal as well if you need to remove the sub from the box.

Name:  IMG_4793.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  38.6 KB
Name:  IMG_5912.jpg
Views: 1279
Size:  104.0 KB

Last edited by GolNat; 08-04-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-04-2012

That first picture is blowing my mind. Are those just little squares of dynamat or is that a whole sheet under there? If so how the hell...?

In the second picture it looks like they are covering over the whole spot while just molding it in?

Also, the spot under the rear deck speakers seems pretty difficult to just tack up in one whole piece of dynamat, so it's okay to cut little shapes to fit where I need, or will that just decrease the effectiveness?
Old 08-04-2012
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Lol, I don't know but the first picture looks really cool. I don't know how they did that, buts that how I want to do mine. They probably used the squares and stuffed them up there. Yea you can cut small shapes to fit, you just to make them as tight as possible. Dynamat makes a tape that you use to cover all the small cracks between the squares. The second pic looks like they taped the whole thing up to make it air tight and give it a finished look. It would probably be best if you could keep the pieces as big as possible.
Old 08-04-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

you can actually use grace water and ice shield from home depot its the same stuff but half the cost of dynomat.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...ping-mats.html
Old 08-04-2012

Thanks for the tape idea that'll probably come in handy!
Old 08-04-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

just remember dynamat is a mass loading material and not a sound barrier (altho it does block a tiny bit of noise). its main purpose is to reduce panel resonance and it doesnt matter that you apply it everywhere. a few patches here and there will have the same effect. if you want noise reduction, then you put a sound absorbing mat over it like 3m thinsulate or cell foam.

http://sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi
Old 08-04-2012

Originally Posted by lowlife9
you can actually use grace water and ice shield from home depot its the same stuff but half the cost of dynomat.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...ping-mats.html
My brother in law bought the industrial pack from amazon and ended up not needing it so he gave me a good deal
Old 08-04-2012

Originally Posted by gearbox
just remember dynamat is a mass loading material and not a sound barrier (altho it does block a tiny bit of noise). its main purpose is to reduce panel resonance and it doesnt matter that you apply it everywhere. a few patches here and there will have the same effect. if you want noise reduction, then you put a sound absorbing mat over it like 3m thinsulate or cell foam.

http://sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi
I'm not too worried about road noise. I'm more worried about trying to get the quality of the sound to go up. I can tell the sub's working, but it sounds like its no where near where it should be. You can hear my trunk lid resonate so I figured dynamat would be the best solution. From what I've read and what some people have told me is that fully installing dynamat in the trunk increased the sub quality quite a bit.
Old 08-04-2012
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

ok but you can also use JUTE material from home depot for absorbing sound like gearbox mentioned its in the carpet section.
Old 08-04-2012

Originally Posted by GolNat
Your sub box should definatly not have leaks if its a sealed inclosure. I would get a gasket and re-seal the sub in the box. They make an adhesive type that you can stick around the outside of the hole. Silicone would work but wouldn't re-seal as well if you
Is that something I could get at cartoys or is that something I have to buy online?
Old 08-04-2012

ok but you can also use JUTE material from home depot for absorbing sound like gearbox mentioned its in the carpet section.
I remember reading a huge thread a few weeks ago about JUTE. Might sound stupid... but does JUTE just replace your interior carpet or is that supposed to be another lining under it?
Old 08-04-2012
Registered!!

you put it under the carpet behind the headliner and panels basically anywhere you can.
Old 08-04-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

well the oem carpet has a fleece type mat under it already, so it may be too thick. i redid my carpet in sections and used foam with a layer of auto store carpet glued in. much less weight and looks more or less oem. and when the driver side gets dirty, i just tear it out and glue a new piece in. but yeah at one time i had the whole trunk dynamatted and even my single 10 inch sub pounded nicely. nobody could believe it was a single 10.
Old 08-04-2012
Prelude Owner

I don't know what cartoys is? They might have it at homedepot, best buy. Here is what im talking about.

http://www.stockwell.com/pages/products_gasket_tape.php
Old 08-04-2012

Originally Posted by gearbox
well the oem carpet has a fleece type mat under it already, so it may be too thick. i redid my carpet in sections and used foam with a layer of auto store carpet glued in. much less weight and looks more or less oem. and when the driver side gets dirty, i just tear it out and glue a new piece in. but yeah at one time i had the whole trunk dynamatted and even my single 10 inch sub pounded nicely. nobody could believe it was a single 10.
Awesome. Would you/anyone know where you are supposed to seal the trunk with silicone? In the original link mohawk was saying he had to seal some parts, but I don't understand where he's talking about.

Originally Posted by GolNat
I don't know what cartoys is? They might have it at homedepot, best buy. Here is what im talking about.

http://www.stockwell.com/pages/products_gasket_tape.php
Cartoys is a car audio place. Thanks for the link I was wondering how I could get a gasket in there lol!

you put it under the carpet behind the headliner and panels basically anywhere you can.
I think I'll try the JUTE stuff under the carpet and headliner after I get the trunk done .

Also, my header is pretty damn loud, and I've heard it's a good idea to tack on a sheet of dynamat under the hood to help reduce noise? Wouldn't that just melt off from the engine heat though?