7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
View Poll Results: Which one would you buy?
Buy the 2004
90.48%
Buy the 2009
9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

What would you all rather buy? 2004 or 2009?

Old 07-30-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C130Load is an unknown quantity at this point
What would you all rather buy? 2004 or 2009?

Hey everyone, new the forum and was curious if I could get an opinion from everyone. I'm stuck between two Civics and was hoping for the forum's input.

I'm looking at a 2004 white LX with 109000 miles with basic maintenance done and brand new tires. Autocheck came out good. Needs timing belt and those goodies done soon which I got quoted for $400. Asking price is $6000 firm from the seller.

On the other side. My neighbor is selling his 2009 white LX with 48000 miles. Still under warranty until 100k he says and also has had basic maintenance done. Asking price is $12000 with a potential bit of slack.

I'm stuck between the two. I looked up the 04' on blackbookusa and I'd be paying just under $200 for "average retail" and almost $1,400 over "average trade-in".

With the 2009 I would be paying nearly $1500 under "average retail" and roughly $700 over "average trade-in".

Thanks for your input! I'm stuck with the military in Little Rock Arkansas by the way and mind you it's tough to find a nice used car around here!
Old 07-30-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: What would you all rather buy? 2004 or 2009?

I'd get the 04. It's less of a payment, leaves you more money to either put into the car for mods, or other bills (house, cell phone, women). I enjoy not having a car payment a LOT!!
Old 07-30-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
I'd get the 04. It's less of a payment, leaves you more money to either put into the car for mods, or other bills (house, cell phone, women). I enjoy not having a car payment a LOT!!
Thanks for the reply! I'm taking the 04' into the mechanic tomorrow for a pre-purchase inspection. Hopefully everything checks out with that one at least. I've been sharing one car with my wife for the last year and it's been tricky!
Old 07-30-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

That's good that your getting it looked at by a mechanic. Hopefully everything checks out good. Yea, its hard sharing a car. If my wife and I didn't each have a car it would be impossible to do anything. Good luck with everything!
Old 07-30-2012
Registered!!

That's good that your getting it looked at by a mechanic. Hopefully everything checks out good. Yea, its hard sharing a car. If my wife and I didn't each have a car it would be impossible to do anything. Good luck with everything!
Thanks again! I'll post an update tomorrow afternoon on how the inspection goes over.
Old 07-31-2012
Registered!!

Aetoc will become famous soon enoughAetoc will become famous soon enough

I looove my 04...but maybe that's cause it was my first car purchased without my parents' help...either way, I'm just not a fan of the 8th and 9th gen civics, and like GolNat said, you'll have a lot more spare change with the 04.
Old 07-31-2012
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Newer the better, less rattles and creaks and sqeaks.

But I dont like the look of the 8th gens, am I the only one who thinks theyre ugly? And i cant get over the spaceship feel on the inside

Id be willing to accept a car payment for a BRZ/FRS. That car is hot.
Old 07-31-2012
Registered!!

just bought the 04'! Managed to get it for $5800. Hopefully a fair price. Now it's time to find a timing belt kit... Thanks again to everyone for the help.
Old 07-31-2012
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

Post pictures!
Old 07-31-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C130Load
just bought the 04'! Managed to get it for $5800. Hopefully a fair price. Now it's time to find a timing belt kit... Thanks again to everyone for the help.
If you can afford the wait, I'd buy the timing belt components from www.hondaautomotiveparts.com. It's all genuine Honda OEM at a fraction of dealership costs, even with the borderline absurd shipping costs. Just to give you an idea of their prices, the dealership wanted to charge me something like $225 for a head gasket kit, and I was able to overnight the same gasket kit for $180.

In any case, congrats on the purchase! Be sure to post pics!
Old 07-31-2012
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

nice deal
Old 08-01-2012
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
If you can afford the wait, I'd buy the timing belt components from www.hondaautomotiveparts.com. It's all genuine Honda OEM at a fraction of dealership costs, even with the borderline absurd shipping costs. Just to give you an idea of their prices, the dealership wanted to charge me something like $225 for a head gasket kit, and I was able to overnight the same gasket kit for $180.

In any case, congrats on the purchase! Be sure to post pics!
Its too bad they dont ship to Canada.
Old 08-01-2012
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

And OP doesn't have to worry about that
Old 08-01-2012
Registered!!

Aetoc will become famous soon enoughAetoc will become famous soon enough

Congrats! <3 7th Gen
Old 08-01-2012
Registered!!

Thanks again everyone. Here's some pictures after the bath.

http://imgur.com/a/7mELJ

I also did a little touch up on the scratches today as well. I'll have to wait awhile until I can get those buffed out and painted professionally, but for now some simple touch up made them look a little better.

My next job tomorrow will be putting in some NGK Iridiums, and put a new a exhaust manifold gasket on! There's an ever so slight leak coming from the exhaust manifold so I'm hoping the new gasket will fix it up.

After that, I'm hoping to replace the crappy stock hubcaps. Especially becuase they're pretty worn out. The tires are brand new so I'm not quite sure how my options are for new rims with keeping stock tires. Definetly on my want list. However, I may just do a cheap fix and get some new China-made hubcaps off Ebay until I figure out some rims for a good deal.

Last edited by C130Load; 08-01-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-02-2012
I am Epic

Originally Posted by C130Load
Thanks again everyone. Here's some pictures after the bath.

http://imgur.com/a/7mELJ

I also did a little touch up on the scratches today as well. I'll have to wait awhile until I can get those buffed out and painted professionally, but for now some simple touch up made them look a little better.

My next job tomorrow will be putting in some NGK Iridiums, and put a new a exhaust manifold gasket on! There's an ever so slight leak coming from the exhaust manifold so I'm hoping the new gasket will fix it up.

After that, I'm hoping to replace the crappy stock hubcaps. Especially becuase they're pretty worn out. The tires are brand new so I'm not quite sure how my options are for new rims with keeping stock tires. Definetly on my want list. However, I may just do a cheap fix and get some new China-made hubcaps off Ebay until I figure out some rims for a good deal.
Wow wish my car looked that good.
Old 08-02-2012
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

pretty nice. few cosmetic stuff but not bad for its age.
Old 08-02-2012

rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

Damn not bad at all, get a bottle of touch up paint and it'll look great
Old 08-03-2012
Registered!!

99em1boost is an unknown quantity at this point

I would buy the 04. I have owned an 04 and 07, and drove an 09 for a couple months. The 09 was my least favorite. I am not a huge fan of the direction civic has been going. Hence the reason I drive a 99 si now.
Old 08-03-2012
Registered!!

gen3 is an unknown quantity at this point

great pick up!

I too, hate the ridiculous interior in the 8th gen civics.
Old 08-03-2012
I am Epic

Originally Posted by 99em1boost
I would buy the 04. I have owned an 04 and 07, and drove an 09 for a couple months. The 09 was my least favorite. I am not a huge fan of the direction civic has been going. Hence the reason I drive a 99 si now.
Why didnt you like the 8th gen as much as the 7th? Was it a coupe or sedan?
Old 08-03-2012
Registered!!

99em1boost is an unknown quantity at this point

Both were coupe, and I just don't like the feel of the newer gen's. It just isn't civic to me. When I drive the older civic's, I feel like you can feel the road better, if that makes sense.
Old 08-03-2012
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by 99em1boost
Both were coupe, and I just don't like the feel of the newer gen's. It just isn't civic to me. When I drive the older civic's, I feel like you can feel the road better, if that makes sense.
I feel the same way. Test drove an 8thgen when they first came out, got back in my 2002, and never looked back... lol
Old 08-03-2012
Premium Member

same here, totally different car.
Old 08-07-2012
Registered!!

EcoRacerD17 is an unknown quantity at this point

When I saw that the '04 you're looking at is white, definitely get it! Mine is metallic silver but I just love how Em2's look in white!
Old 08-07-2012
Registered!!

Thanks again everyone for the input. I just wanted to give a little update after about 200 miles of driving. I'm averaging about 32ish mpg, just a rough estimate. I'll have to wait until I refill for one or two more times to get an exact number.

I patched up the scratches with just some Scratch Fix from O Reily's. Seems to work pretty good for a little $6 temporary fix. Here's a quick pic of the biggest scratch before and after.
http://imgur.com/a/qGmHn

I can definitely hear an exhaust leak when I give it a lot of throttle, otherwise it's not too noticeable. I tried to fix it myself without renting a shop stall and tools (I only have a socket set and no jack), but the bolts on the heat shield and I'm assuming on the manifold itself are all seized up. I've been spraying WD40 on it just about everyday until I can get it into the shop and spend a good hour or two taking it apart. I'm assuming it's the gasket that needs to be replaced.

There is also a slight oil leak. I believe coming from the oil pan. Here's a shot of it.
http://imgur.com/Lkr6C
I'd say it's about 1 drop every 5-10 minutes. I believe it may be coming from the plug, but won't know for sure until tomorrow or Thursday when I get it lifted up at the shop.

Last edited by C130Load; 08-07-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-10-2012
Registered!!

Bumping for parts!

I'm about to buy the timing belt parts and wanted some more opinions please. I've searched for all the threads tagged "timing belt" for the last two years and it's still vague on whether to buy straight up oem or buy high quality Japanese parts of another brand. Right now I'm looking at the two options. One being a kit from Amazon (good price and free two-day shipping)

Here is the Amazon kit,
Amazon Amazon
Total: $165

I think all I will need on top of that is some coolant? What is the part number by the way for the official oem coolant? I know that's a must.

My other option is going oem for about $70 more from http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com

Here's the part's list from there;
91213-P2F-A01 OIL SEAL (29X45X8) (ARAI)
38920-PLR-003 BELT, COMPRESSOR (BANDO)
91212-PLM-A01 OIL SEAL (38X50X7) (ARAI)
19200-PLM-A01 WATER PUMP
56992-PLM-003 BELT, POWER STEERING PUMP (BANDO)
14400-PMM-A02 BELT, TIMING (104RU22 GB-333)
14520-PLC-335 TENSIONER SET, TIMING BELT
19222-P08-004 O-RING, WATER PUMP (YAMADA)
12341-PLC-000 GASKET, CYLINDER HEAD COVER
Total: $230

So what do you all think? I'm just a stuck noobie.

Edit: I also believe the drain plug on the oil pan is stripped from crappy Jiffylube (previous owner always took it there for oil changes). I haven't officially checked, but I'm certain that would cause the slight drip I've been seeing. How would this be for a replacement?
Amazon Amazon

Thanks guys!
Old 12-17-2012
Registered!!

04CivicDXsedan is an unknown quantity at this point

go with the 2004. the 2009s arent good. I worked for a honda dealership selling em. I now have an 04 civic dx sedan 5 spd with 62k on it. cost me 8grand. mint as hell. 35 tpo 38 mpg stock!
Old 12-20-2012
I am Epic

Originally Posted by 04CivicDXsedan
go with the 2004. the 2009s arent good. I worked for a honda dealership selling em. I now have an 04 civic dx sedan 5 spd with 62k on it. cost me 8grand. mint as hell. 35 tpo 38 mpg stock!
09s arent good? Just wondering why you would say that?
Old 12-20-2012

Civicnoobie youre alive!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What would you all rather buy? 2004 or 2009?