7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Car Overheats and Air Suddenly Stopped Blowing Cold

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uareabozo is an unknown quantity at this point
Car Overheats and Air Suddenly Stopped Blowing Cold

So I bought a 2001 Honda Civic today and it was fine on the interstate. Once it got into stop and go traffic it started running hot. When the traffic cleared the temp went back down. Also the ac started blowing hot at the same time. But now the ac will blow cold again. Old owners said they replaced thermostat 2 weeks ago and that it has never run hot before. Any suggestions where to begin?
Old 07-19-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car Overheats and Air Suddenly Stopped Blowing Cold

My money is that the radiator fans stopped working. That explains why your air condition cut out at the same time. Turn your AC on and make sure the fans are running. If it suddenly stops again, pull over and check to see if the fans are running. If they stop it's probably the relay.
Old 07-19-2012
Registered!!

Would that also explain the over heating? I am a beginner at this.
Old 07-19-2012
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Stop and go traffic heavily relies on the dual radiator fans to simulate driving (to pull heat away from the radiator fins which cool the coolant) So yes, definitely would have an effect on overheating. However, you might not be able to diagnose this unless it happens again. You can always take a precautionary measure and replace the relay. If it happened once, it will likely happen again. However, if the relay is not at fault your wasting money.

If it's hot enough out the fans will actually come on even if the air condition is off to cool the engine down in stop and go traffic.
Old 07-19-2012
Registered!!

I will start with replacing that. It seemed to be the cheapest thing. I have another problem with this car. On first crank of the day you have to pump the gas to get it to start. Any ideas there?
Old 07-19-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If the engine is truly overheating, the PCM has the authority to shut down the AC.
Old 07-19-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anibis will become famous soon enoughanibis will become famous soon enough

Do you know how to pull spark plugs?

Let it sit over night, pull the plugs, crank the motor (with the plugs out), go back and check around the spark plug holes for coolant. That could be causing the rough start in the mornings.

Is the coolant full? Check overflow and radiator (with the motor cool).
Old 07-19-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Originally Posted by ezone
If the engine is truly overheating, the PCM has the authority to shut down the AC.
Good to know. I'd still start with the fans lol. Start the car, turn the AC on and check to see if the fans are running.

It could be coolant in the cylinders, however I'd start elsewhere first...
Old 07-19-2012
Registered!!

I do know how to pull plugs but it seems like it could be a throttle type thing on starting. After you start it once it is fine each other time. Thought I may try cleaning it.
Old 07-19-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

turn the a/c on with the hood open and see if both fans come on. if not, then test each fan motor directly to the battery. then check the relays and fuses. might need a new motor. also it could be a bad thermostat. they prolly used aftermarket which is really terrible and can make the engine run hotter than oem. get a honda thermostat and replace that too. altho, usually a stuck closed thermo will cause overheating more when the car is moving. fans seem to be the most likely, since on hot days at idle they are needed to cool the engine. when car is moving, the air blowing in thru the grill is enough.