7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Sub/Amp combo? worth it?

Old 06-26-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gen3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sub/Amp combo? worth it?

long time reader, first time poster.

I'm looking to add a sub/amp combo to my car without adding an aftermarket head unit. I park outside and don't want to risk the possibility of a break in. Will it sound like crap without a aftermarket headunit? Link to a DIY if possible?

And can someone recommend a single 12" sub / amp combo? something compact and that doesn't take a lot of room in the trunk.

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2012
Registered!!

tipnitty is on a distinguished road
Re: Sub/Amp combo? worth it?

Every one of my cars have been parked outside. And my past 3 have had touch screens and parked in st.louis. Never had a problem. Don't be a pansy.

I would recommend a JL Audio 12w0 with about a 300watt amp. Would be just fine. And would also look into a good alpine deck that will sync your iPod/iPhone.
Old 06-26-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by tipnitty
Every one of my cars have been parked outside. And my past 3 have had touch screens and parked in st.louis. Never had a problem. Don't be a pansy.

I would recommend a JL Audio 12w0 with about a 300watt amp. Would be just fine. And would also look into a good alpine deck that will sync your iPod/iPhone.
Last 2 vehicles where broken into. It cost me more to replace the window and retint then the headunit was worth. And unfortunately I don't have any room in the garage.

So, call me a pansy if you want, but if I can get by with just the stock headunit and a sub/amp combo I'll be good. I don't need crazy bass just something to enhance the drive to and from work/school.
Old 06-26-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

sounds like you need to spend your money on an alarm instead.
Old 06-26-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tipnitty
I second the Alpine deck. I have had mine for about 3 years now, excellent quality. Just added Bluetooth interface for my iPhone and it works beautifully. Excellent company. I prefer my Infinity amp never had a JL. I am actually in the process of replacing my 2 10 inch subs with 1 8 inch to make more room and less weight. A well balanced and matched 8 inch maybe all that you need if you don't want earth shattering bass. That's what I read on the reviews, I will see when I instal it!
Old 06-26-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lowlife9
sounds like you need to spend your money on an alarm instead.
absolutely not!

Originally Posted by GolNat
I second the Alpine deck. I have had mine for about 3 years now, excellent quality. Just added Bluetooth interface for my iPhone and it works beautifully. Excellent company. I prefer my Infinity amp never had a JL. I am actually in the process of replacing my 2 10 inch subs with 1 8 inch to make more room and less weight. A well balanced and matched 8 inch maybe all that you need if you don't want earth shattering bass. That's what I read on the reviews, I will see when I instal it!
I was considering one 12" sub... depending on airspace requirements I doubt I will save much space going with a 10" or 8". I'll have to look into it.

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

absolutely not huh well then have fun getting broken into a third time when they hear your new system bumping.
Old 06-27-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gen3
I'm looking to add a sub/amp combo to my car without adding an aftermarket head unit. I park outside and don't want to risk the possibility of a break in. Will it sound like crap without a aftermarket headunit? possible?
Will it sound like crap? Probably not, but it will not sound as good as with an aftermarket headunit. The problem is most factory units do not have RCA outputs so you will have to use the speaker wires to feed the amp. The signal is not as clean as from the RCA jacks so you may have a little more noise. I don't think you will be unhappy but it just won't be as good as it could be.

The good news is most amps have both RCA and line level inputs so if you change your mind and replace the headunit you should be able to keep the amp and just change how the signal in input.
Old 06-27-2012
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

i have a single din pioneer, always wanted a double din mainly cause easier to read but not worth the risk of break in. Plus theyre still very pricey.

If they had a double din in the market where it has a plastic slide down cover, id get it but there is none.