7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Rattle under acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rnouri is an unknown quantity at this point
Rattle under acceleration

I drive a 2004 Civic LX 2dr and I've found the car is making a rattle in the engine bay while accelerating. When I let off the gas, the rattle stops, so one might think the input shaft bearing or throwout bearing, but what is weird is that I don't hear a rattle while idling. If I'm doing 10-20 mph and I let off the gas, it'll go away. If I rev in neutral, no rattle. If I'm moving and I put the car in neutral and let the clutch engage, then rev the engine, there is no rattle. Any ideas?

Again, it's only while the car is in gear and accelerating. No rattle at idle, decelerating, or if the clutch is pressed down.
Old 06-18-2012
Registered!!

rnouri is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Rattle under acceleration

Nvm, turns out its a feint rattle at idle/neutral. Guess I'm looking at some serious cash.
Old 08-30-2012
Registered!!

fecomosis is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rnouri
I drive a 2004 Civic LX 2dr and I've found the car is making a rattle in the engine bay while accelerating. When I let off the gas, the rattle stops, so one might think the input shaft bearing or throwout bearing, but what is weird is that I don't hear a rattle while idling. If I'm doing 10-20 mph and I let off the gas, it'll go away. If I rev in neutral, no rattle. If I'm moving and I put the car in neutral and let the clutch engage, then rev the engine, there is no rattle. Any ideas?

Again, it's only while the car is in gear and accelerating. No rattle at idle, decelerating, or if the clutch is pressed down.

To me, it sounds like the clutch disc dampeners.
Old 08-31-2012
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
scooty is on a distinguished road

Are you using cheap no-name gas? The engine could be knocking. Unlikely though as the knock sensor should be retarding the timing.

Couldn't hurt to try an octane booster before spending serious cash on anything. Or just fill up with good gas and run some fuel injector cleaner.

Next, check the plugs.
Old 09-16-2012
Registered!!

fecomosis is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rnouri
Nvm, turns out its a feint rattle at idle/neutral. Guess I'm looking at some serious cash.
Oh ok, yes its the ISB for sure. If you got some tools, time, and a will to do it your self, you can do it! I just got done doing mine! Alot easier than I thought! I spent a total of $160 in parts and special tools to replace mine, then also $170 in the clutch area since the transmission was already out, might as well.

Last edited by fecomosis; 09-16-2012 at 08:00 PM. Reason: m