7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Terminology

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rejin267 is an unknown quantity at this point
Terminology

i am new to the game and i see words like mtf and k pro and a bunch of other thins of the same. my question is where did you all get your knowledge from. i would like to become more knowledgeable about my vehicle and about upgrading my vehicle and i have no clue where to start. any suggestions?
Old 06-15-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Terminology

You hear stuff you don't know, go look it up to find out.
Or ask.

Google not turned on there yet??

GIS for Honda MTF:

M...
T...
F...

Next

Honda k-pro turned up this as the first hit
http://www.hondata.com/kpro.html

HTH

Last edited by ezone; 06-15-2012 at 09:14 PM. Reason: I love to edit!
Old 06-15-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
You hear stuff you don't know, go look it up to find out.
Or ask.

Google not turned on there yet??

GIS for Honda MTF:

M...
T...
F...

Next

Honda k-pro turned up this as the first hit
http://www.hondata.com/kpro.html

HTH
indeed i know how to use Google and have been using it. my question was not specific to the items listed my question was a general question covering all topics automotive. as in is there some book or something or does everyone pretty much have their knowledge by tinkering with stuff. that is what i was asking. sorry for the lack of clarity
Old 06-15-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

lol I put mtf in my kpro and then I run at WOT once that happens I hit vtec.
Old 06-15-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

haha..

seriously though, they're just things you pick up along the way, talking to folks on the forums, tinkering with your car, looking up parts, etc. I think there was a glossary of auto terminology lingering around here somewhere. If I find it, I'll post it up.
Old 06-15-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
haha..

seriously though, they're just things you pick up along the way, talking to folks on the forums, tinkering with your car, looking up parts, etc. I think there was a glossary of auto terminology lingering around here somewhere. If I find it, I'll post it up.
that would be much appreciated
Old 06-15-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rejin267
is there some book or something or does everyone pretty much have their knowledge by tinkering with stuff.
I got it from a lifetime of wrenching...

I've forgotten an awful lot, more than most will ever know.

I deal with electrical and electronic powertrain management heavily, I know the standardized OBDII acronyms and most of the variations by heart and can mix and match enough to confuse almost anyone that doesn't do what I do. I know Hondas specific abbreviations now that I've been doing these for the last 9 years..... but every manufacturer has their own alphabet soup for their own systems versions, and the only way I know to get that info is from that manufacturers service information (if you can't google a good answer).

Example: Hondas ABS/TCS (and VSA now too) Control Unit is the rough equivalent of GMs EBCM/EBTCM.
Also RABS, RWAL, 4WAL, ALB, EHA, HU, WSS, and probably 30 more abbreviations that can all go with ABS. Now multiply that by 40 different manufacturers. You can't remember them all.

OMGWTFBBQ

It seems to change daily and they keep adding more.

Now that K-Pro thing is something I would not deal with at work and really don't need to know much about it because almost all I deal with is stockers, but I read about that stuff on the internet. If I don't know what it is, I google it if I can.

Speaking of service information....
Same goes for other areas:
If you want to know about acronyms for electronics, look to their specialized info.

Decades ago, back when Radio Shaft actually sold real electronic supplies and components (long before Cell Phones went mainstream), they had a Dictionary of Electronics.
Find one and look up the definition of E-zone.

+1 for anyone that figures that out.
Old 06-16-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i learned most things from this site, the honda manuals, and some personal trial and error. luckily these cars are cheap enough that if you break something, it can be replaced.