7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Midas brake job..04 civic

Old 06-06-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
worldwar is an unknown quantity at this point
Midas brake job..04 civic

Hi all,

Today, I got a brake job from Midas. I went there it's because brakes make noise, even though I knew that I have enough pad thickness.

When they took off the pads, they had enough thickness but I think main problem was the rotor so they resurfaced and put new ceramic pads on it. Now I dont have noise anymore..

I paid for all service including rear brake adjustment $200.. I was also thinking to go the honda dealer (they advertise $99 per axle).. anyway, I hope I wont be regretful..I asked them what kind of brake pads they use and they told napa..but I dont think they put napa on my car :S

Just wanted to share and get your comments..
Old 06-06-2012
Registered!!

mattandchris is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Midas brake job..04 civic

I go to my local Midas franchise for brakes too. Mine get their brakes from the local Lee Auto Parts store. They offer $good$ , $$better$$, and $$$best$$$ brake pads. Within the Midas store is a wall display with the 3 different grade of pads they offer. YOU pick the one you want installed. Free pads for life is their schtick nationwide, and keeps me coming back.
I am under the assumption that Midas franchises work with a number of local auto parts places. Your local parts supplier probably IS a NAPA dealer for that Midas franchise.

One trick mine pulls on customers is up-selling them new rotors instead of cutting their old ones. Over filling the oil is another lazy/annoying thing they will do. On my 2001 Jeep I have upper ball joints that need grease. I always hafta remind them to do that too. Overtightened 2 lug nuts once. So you gotta watch them/but in the long run would refer them to non-mechanical types like me.

Look for coupons, for your local Midas on the internet, for additional savings on all services performed there. Always a $5-$30 savings.
Mine gives a FREE tire rotation for any customer with an oil change,too.

Any other parts that they install also come from Lee Auto Parts. Typically non-Honda OEM parts. That might be cool for shock absorbers/mufflers...but from what I have read from this forum it might not be for 02 sensors and electronic parts, ATF fluid and the like.
Mine lets me bring in Honda-OEM parts, and they put'em on without any complain'in.

Last edited by mattandchris; 06-06-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-07-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

In my opinion OEM is a must for

-Spark plugs
-O2 sensors
-ATF

And some could probably argue coil packs. But I have no aftermarket experience with those.
Old 06-08-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

jeeeeze crist $200 for a brake job? sheeeeesh.... i forget how expensive these maintenances are.

i think ive changed out my brakes like 4 times this year already.

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
In my opinion OEM is a must for

-Spark plugs
-O2 sensors
-ATF

And some could probably argue coil packs. But I have no aftermarket experience with those.
out of the list, only my MTF is oem... well, half of it is. i use GM syncromesh friction modified MTF with honda's MTF.
Old 06-09-2012
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

There is ways to get around the factory O2 sensor.

The plugs you can put different pregapped ones. But I find in time the car doesnt run as good.

And OEM ATF is a no brainer.

MTF doesnt matter as much, pretty sure its just gear oil, perhaps with some additives?
Old 06-09-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
i think ive changed out my brakes like 4 times this year already.
Jeebus Kryst! Do you deliver Pizza for a living or what?
Or are you buying the $12 pads from DangerZone that only last 6000 miles?

The last person I knew that went through brakes that fast had a huge rural paper route, 250 miles of full blast stop-and-go every night.
Literally every 3 months it was getting more brakes.
He wore out his welcome at more than one place that offered "lifetime brakes".
He kept piles of pads and rotors at the ready.

MTF doesnt matter as much, pretty sure its just gear oil, perhaps with some additives?
NOT gear oil.
Honda used regular motor oil in the manual transmissions for many years, 10w30 IIRC.
It still is not gear oil. That is waaay too thick for a trans like theirs.
Too thick will cause grinding, especially when it gets colder.

C&P from a Honda Service News, Aug 06:
In case you haven’t heard yet, Honda Genuine
MTF has been improved. It offers better overall
shift quality in cold weather (especially in freezing
tempertures), and it’s got better friction reduction
for improved fuel economy and longer
transmission service life.
This new MTF (P/N 08798-9031, H/C 8429094) is
the factory-fill on all ’07 M/T-equipped Honda
models, and it’s backward compatible with older
models. It comes in a 1-quart bottle that wears a
new label and a white cap.

(I wonder if I can get a job proofreading for them? LOL)

This stuff is THIN, man. Like nearly 0w20 thin.

Retail price seems high ($7.70/qt.), so what? It is the correct fluid, and the trans only holds like 2 quarts.
Old 06-09-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ezone
Jeebus Kryst! Do you deliver Pizza for a living or what?
Or are you buying the $12 pads from DangerZone that only last 6000 miles?

The last person I knew that went through brakes that fast had a huge rural paper route, 250 miles of full blast stop-and-go every night.
Literally every 3 months it was getting more brakes.
He wore out his welcome at more than one place that offered "lifetime brakes".
He kept piles of pads and rotors at the ready.
lol. i do not mess around when it comes to brakes. my oem brakes are as good and they can possibly get. i have SS lines, speed bleeders, rear disc, and i even use motul RBF600 as brake fluid...which is aprox $20 for 500ml....and do a complete brake flush every 6 months.

within the last year, i have ran: i have run oem, hawkHPS, hawkHP-ceramic, and now i am on HAWKHP+... and i resurfaced my rotor EVERY time

i run them for a 5-6k and switch them out because i wasnt happy. i am very fickle with my brakes.

its funny because i can pretty much lock out my wheels at any speed instantly.

im looking into getting some wilwood 6 piston dynapro brakes soon....soon...
Old 03-22-2013
Registered!!

Cc183 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just paid $177 to have new pads, machine rotors, and clean and adjust rear brakes on 2007 Civic LX. I was thinking I really got screwed. Does this seem like a fair price. I have always been treated fairly at this place, but now I wonder. Had the same thing done on my 2010 Odyssey a few months ago and it was $149. Makes me wonder.
Old 03-22-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cc183
Just paid $177 to have new pads, machine rotors, and clean and adjust rear brakes on 2007 Civic LX. I was thinking I really got screwed. Does this seem like a fair price. I have always been treated fairly at this place, but now I wonder. Had the same thing done on my 2010 Odyssey a few months ago and it was $149. Makes me wonder.
That'd be cheap around here. We get around 200 McDoubles (US) per axle for pads and resurface rotors. Give or take a little bit depending on the price of pads, and we use factory pads.
A comparison of other local shops has shown this to be about average in my area, and other shops normally use aftermarket parts.

The price goes up if it needs other parts.
Old 04-04-2013
Registered!!

My local sears shop wanted 100 beans just to resurface my rotors..thats with me taking them off the car and bringing it to them..

I think that is kinda pricey..
Old 04-04-2013
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

especially when you can get brand new rotors and pads for $100 bucks.
Old 04-04-2013

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
My local sears shop wanted 100 beans just to resurface my rotors..thats with me taking them off the car and bringing it to them..

I think that is kinda pricey..
I agree.
You'd probably get the same here, because the person sitting at the counter (or on the phone) has no idea what really goes on. They may just "look it up in the book" and quote a number, without knowing what the work really is.

Some parts places will machine your rotors too, cheap. TheZoo?
I'd probably prefer a real machine shop to do it though, prep work is critical to a good final result. A real machine shop probably takes MUCH better care of their equipment too.