7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Exhaust Manifold Crack? Easy Repair!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
scooty is on a distinguished road
Exhaust Manifold Crack? Easy Repair!

The exhaust manifold on an LX is not cast iron as is popular belief over here! It is steel which means it should be easy to MIG weld.

I took my manifold off to have it welded and the guy told me it's not cast iron. The manifold and converter are actually made of 2 pieces of steel welded together in 2 halves. If you look carefully you can see the weld seems along the edges. The tubes are welded very cheaply to a steel flange that bolts to the engine.

Cast iron manifolds are made by pouring liquid pig iron into a mold. The steel halves used for our cars' manifolds are most likely sheet metal pressed into a die.

My manifold cracked all along one of the welds joining the #1 tube to the mounting flange. The guy showed me how the welds were done very cheaply with a machine so they end up looking like paste smeared along the joint. A proper quality weld should look like a row of overlapping circles.

So if your manifold is welded no need to buy an expensive new piece. Just have it welded. It's steel!
Old 06-07-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Exhaust Manifold Crack? Easy Repair!

Where did you read that it was cast iron?

Regardless of the materical they are not even casted.
Old 06-07-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
Where did you read that it was cast iron?

Regardless of the materical they are not even casted.
I read it on a several different threads on here, for example:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...m-options.html [POST #4]

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...-question.html [Post #1]

It's crazy the amount of misinformation you can sometimes get. I almost bought a whole new OEM manifold because I was under the impression the manifold is cast iron and cannot be welded properly.
Old 06-07-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough

from what i read, on hondatech i believe, welding a crack doesnt hold up and your better off getting another manifold or aftermerket header.
Old 06-08-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Yea, welding still is no guarantee either. I mean its a cheap fix, but certainly not a permenant one. At least in my opinion.
Old 06-09-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
Yea, welding still is no guarantee either. I mean its a cheap fix, but certainly not a permenant one. At least in my opinion.
Why not? The factory welds the tubes to the mounting flange after all, and in a very cheap manner I might add as this is where my manifold cracked. It was cracked almost all the way around one of the tubes where it joins the mounting flange.

They guy did a good job of welding it. The joint itself should be stronger than the surrounding metal. Now if it cracks again at the other factory welds or some where else I wouldn't be too surprised. But the weld itself is a solid repair.

So far so good, time will tell I guess, but my point is not to automatically dismiss a cracked manifold as junk and attempt to have it repaired professionally.