7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Cold engine random misfire

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tempo is an unknown quantity at this point
Cold engine random misfire

Good day! I have Civic 2001, 165,000mi and it has cold engine random misfire. It will run rough for 5-7 sec and then run normal for the rest of the day. Random because it may start OK for a week and then for couple of days it will misfire at start. Car diagnostic scanner always shows P0301- Misfire in first cylinder. So far I replaced spark plugs, coils, cleaned and exchanged the places (1->2, 3->4, etc.) of injectors. I filled the coolant to MAX mark 1.5 month ago and now it is below MIN.
I read quite a lot that this is a problem with a blown head gasket. I read one of the Gearhead's posts about this. My question, can the blown head gasket can cause this random behavior of cylinder misfire? Anybody please advise. Thanks.
Old 05-28-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cold engine random misfire

Originally Posted by tempo
can the blown head gasket can cause this random behavior of cylinder misfire? Anybody please advise.
Yes.
Antifreeze gets into the cylinder overnight, then gets the plug wet when you try to fire it up.
Wet plug can't fire.

3 ways I might check:
Make it misfire, shut it off before it clears up on its own. Pull the plug and taste it. If it tastes like coolant, then it should be a head gasket.
If it tastes like gas or oil, you have a different issue.

Get it all warmed up, shut it off. Pull the plugs out. Install a cooling system pressure tester, pump it to 15psi. Keep pumping it as the engine cools down to maintain 15psi. Leave it overnight with pressure on it.
In the morning, you crank it. Have someone watch it to see if liquid blows out of any of the sparkplug holes.

Leakdown test with shop air pressure applied to each cylinder. If the coolant level raises, it is a problem.

Finding anything in these checks does not necessarily mean it is a head gasket problem, but that is the most common cause of these problems on that engine.

HTH
Old 06-03-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tempo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your response. I will try it.
Old 06-07-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Make it misfire, shut it off before it clears up on its own. Pull the plug and taste it. If it tastes like coolant, then it should be a head gasket.
If it tastes like gas or oil, you have a different issue.

What the...? Taste it? lol
Old 06-07-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
What the...? Taste it? lol
Let me know if you have a simpler, faster, and more accurate way of telling if the liquid really is antifreeze.

Spit, don't swallow.
Old 06-08-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Hey I was just asking that all..you crack me up though.

I have tasted coolant before (not intentionally of course) doesnt taste that good. However older coolant taste worse then newer coolant.

I have yet to have the pleasure of tasting oil, maybe one day.

Method 2 sounds like a good idea.

Why not use a combustion tester?
Old 06-08-2012

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic

Why not use a combustion tester?
Because the complaint doesn't fit. Period. (Unless there is more that he hasn't observed and reported.)
It sounded like dead holes when it first fires up.

Why look for your dog in the neighbors front yard, if he is in your own back yard?

A combustion leakage detector is only useful for finding ONE out of maybe a dozen different ways a head gasket can fail.
And even that ONE way isn't reliable enough nor accurate enough for me.

Back in the olden days, all coolant was ungodly sweet (Glycerine = sugar?). Once you tasted it, you knew that taste for the rest of your life.
Old coolant, that nasty selling stuff (that this one old guy swears smells like wolf *****), probably lost some of its sweetness over time and picked up contaminants.
Mopar has a coolant that is "embittered", and has a horrible taste. Probably so pets and kids don't want to drink it. Makes it tougher to tell by taste what it is.