7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

oem style wing need torsion bar

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tallal565 is an unknown quantity at this point
oem style wing need torsion bar

I have an OEM style wing on my 2004 civic. the trunk keeps falling down due to weak torsion bars. i went to the dealer and they selling them for $30 a pair. i used my friends stock civic ex wing and it still isnt that great. even though it is an improvement. are there any other torsion bars i can get that completely stops the trunk in mid air?

and how hard is it to change those bars yourself?

thanks
Old 05-27-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: oem style wing need torsion bar

The torsion springs the dealer will sell are going to be the original type, not the type for use with a wing (sure bet). *I* can't find anything but the originals in my catalog.

Check for yourself: http://estore.honda.com/
Look in Body-trunk lid, and look in accessories-exterior.

You really need the springs that came with a wing kit, and I don't see where they are available separately, nor do I see that they ever were available separately. Most of the wing kits are no longer available.

Salvage yard?

This is one of the tools. There are just a few others, all are variations of the same theme.

HTH
Old 05-27-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Here's another option if you're feeling up to a bit of a challenge

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...nk-shocks.html
Old 05-27-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tallal565 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
The torsion springs the dealer will sell are going to be the original type, not the type for use with a wing (sure bet). *I* can't find anything but the originals in my catalog.

Check for yourself: http://estore.honda.com/
Look in Body-trunk lid, and look in accessories-exterior.

You really need the springs that came with a wing kit, and I don't see where they are available separately, nor do I see that they ever were available separately. Most of the wing kits are no longer available.

Salvage yard?

This is one of the tools. There are just a few others, all are variations of the same theme.

HTH
The 2005 civic lx special edition has a factory wing for all the vehicles. i asked for that and they said $15 a piece according to their computers.
Old 05-27-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Good call, I forgot about the SE having something from the factory. But the catalog doesn't call it a wing for some reason, even though it looks like it has a 3rd brake light in it.

In the accessory lists:
The wing is bigger than the trunk spoiler and has the 3rd brake light in it.
The trunk spoiler is not much more than a fat lip on the edge of the trunk lid. No light.

I was thinking there would be different springs for each version, depending on the weight of the wing involved.

Double checked, yes there are differences but I can't tell what.
The springs that came with the rear wing spoiler have color codes, left=yellow, right-red...
The springs that came with the smaller trunk spoiler have different color designation--left=none, right=yellow.

None of the part numbers match...I give up.
Any boost in spring rates will help, I guess.