7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Replacing the strut hat - can you check out this video and tell me what you think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012
I am Epic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted
Replacing the strut hat - can you check out this video and tell me what you think?

Can someone tell me where to get a new strut hat for our car? The rubber strut hat. Was told it could be it twisted and binded or rubbing. I was told it could be that so before i have my left strut popped out to check i wanna have a new strut hat on hand in case its ripped and/or needs replacement. Struts are only 9 months old - KYB GR2s.

This noise im getting, dont think its the rear brakes at all. Havent had the mech pop out the back left strut yet, but once i get a hold of the strut hat i wil. I just took a breakthrough video. When it gets worse (which it is right now) the sound actually not only happens when braking but even when the car is just rolling or parked. Could have car up in the air and still noise happens.

The thing is, when i get the sound when braking its not relative to wheel speed. Also i only get this sound at certain points of braking, meaning certain levels or pressure on the brake pedal.

Heres a video i just took minutes ago with the car off, parked, ebrake OFF. I did an experiment to see if it made a difference with ebrake off and it didnt. In this video im just bouncing my weight up and down in the drivers seat.

The sound you hear here, is the EXACT same sound i get at SOME points of my braking. EXACT SAME SOUND.

[youtube][autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=1259& transactionid=1338072562-70739222&posted_by=Civicnoobie_www.civicforums.com &youtube_video_id=foP8TsmK8wI[/autostream] really do think that one mech could be right saying it could be the strut hat that sits on top of the strut. Its rubber and could be rubbing or got twisted.

But where do i get a new strut hat from? When you buy a new strut it doesnt come with it. I aint buying a new strut unless i know its not the hat. But i dont think its the strut cause i bounce the back of the car when parked and it bounces down and back up once thats it.
Old 05-26-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Replacing the strut hat - can you check out this video and tell me what you think

your wheels seem different from before
Old 05-26-2012
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted
Re: Replacing the strut hat - can you check out this video and tell me what you think

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
your wheels seem different from before
Theyre konigs.
Old 05-26-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Are they the same wheels you had before? They look different, I like them.

Sounds like the top mount.
Old 05-26-2012
I am Epic

Originally Posted by MindBomber

Ya same from last spring. Paid $325 for them including chrome lugnuts ($525 for new rims, sold curb rashed OEM ones for $200). Only regret i have is not going with 16s cause apparently i found out you can run winters on these cars on 16s. I use both tires on these rims cause i wanted to only have 1 set of all year round rims and keep the costs down.

Heres a pic i took, im trying to get my head as close as it can get. The circled is the rear knuckle bushing that i had 2 mechs say a month ago the noise was coming from. They said it was dry, so they popped the bolt out, wasnt rusted, bushing still good, didnt need to replace, so they antiseied the bolt and back in it went. Noise was instantly gone for a few days.

Old 06-02-2012
I am Epic

Is top strut mount the same as the hat?

How common do these go out? How can i check with the strut still on?
Old 06-02-2012
I am Epic

Originally Posted by MindBomber

Do you mean top strut mount? If so can you go aftermarket in these?