7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Broken lug nut -- what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicN3wb is an unknown quantity at this point
Broken lug nut -- what should I do?

I was trying to take off one of my tires just a few minutes ago and one of the lug nuts was extremely hard to turn. I have no idea why, because I've taken that wheel off several times with no issues whatsoever. I kept turning it, despite the fact that I had to put all of my weight on the breaker bar to get it to turn, and the lug nut broke off with part of the stud inside it.

How bad is this? I have no idea what I should do

Last edited by CivicN3wb; 05-26-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-26-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Broken lug nut -- what should I do?

Take it to a shop and have them replace the stud.
Old 05-26-2012
Registered!!

Hi MindBomber,

Is this beyond the DIY capability of a n00b like myself? I tried calling a few shops a little bit ago, but they are all closed. They probably won't be open until next Tuesday, and I really need to drive before then.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-26-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CivicN3wb
Hi MindBomber,

Is this beyond the DIY capability of a n00b like myself? I tried calling a few shops a little bit ago, but they are all closed. They probably won't be open until next Tuesday, and I really need to drive before then.

Any suggestions?
Being reasonable, yes, it's best that someone inexperience have someone else handle this task. Replacing it will require a hydraulic press if it's on a front wheel, an impact wrench if it's on the rear wheel. Driving with three lug nuts is fine, just don't take corners hard.

If you're on a tight budget, you could remove the knuckle yourself and just have the shop handle replacing the stud, but that's a pretty high difficulty level.
Old 05-26-2012
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

next time when putting your wheels back on use a torque wrench.. the reason why the stud broke was because you over tightened the lug nut
Old 05-26-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Replacing it will require a hydraulic press if it's on a front wheel.
A hydraulic press? I was thinking I could just take the caliper and rotor off, then smack the stud out. Is there more to it than that? I tried searching for a DIY on this but wasn't able to find anything..

Originally Posted by Muirsy
next time when putting your wheels back on use a torque wrench.. the reason why the stud broke was because you over tightened the lug nut
I have been using a torque wrench, actually. I've been torquing the lug nuts to 80 ft-lbs
Old 05-26-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

A hydraulic press? I was thinking I could just take the caliper and rotor off, then smack the stud out. Is there more to it than that? I tried searching for a DIY on this but wasn't able to find anything..
Yes, there is more to it than that. It's impossible to just smack the stud out, because there's metal behind it and you would only be able to move it four-five millimeters. The hub needs to be separated from the knuckle to allow the stud to be removed and replaced, which usually involves replacing the wheel bearing as well. There's no DIY, because it's not DIYable for someone without a press and very few amateurs would have one. You can look at BlueEM2s ball joint DIY to see what's involved with removing the knuckle.
Old 05-26-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

I tried searching for a DIY on this but wasn't able to find anything..
if ye look for mb threads paired with studs search ye shall find it

Last edited by sdaidoji; 05-29-2012 at 05:16 AM.
Old 05-26-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
if ye look for mb threads paired with studs search ye shall find it
Wait, what?
Old 05-26-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Wait, what?
When I broke a wheel stud, I made a thread and Sdaidoji posted the service manual instructions on separating the hub with a press. If you go to my profile you should be able to find the thread.
Old 05-27-2012
Registered!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
bryan.0831 is an unknown quantity at this point

I rented that axle puller tool and the slide hammer. It takes quite an arm muscle to do.
Anyone familiar to that?
I replaced all my studs by myself with ARP Wheels Studs.
You guys think I messed up my axle or something? Its been almost two years since I replaced it.
Old 05-27-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by bryan.0831
I rented that axle puller tool and the slide hammer. It takes quite an arm muscle to do.
Anyone familiar to that?
I replaced all my studs by myself with ARP Wheels Studs.
You guys think I messed up my axle or something? Its been almost two years since I replaced it.
No, but you shouldn't need to pull the axle to replace wheel studs.
Old 05-27-2012
Registered!!

No, but you shouldn't need to pull the axle to replace wheel studs.
Well that was only the name of the tool. I just pulled the hub out, never the axle. And pop the broken or old wheel stud out and press the new ones in.

Sorry. I misinterpreted. I meant to ask about messing up my hubs and bearings, not the axle.
Old 05-27-2012
Registered!!

Well that was only the name of the tool. I just pulled the hub out, never the axle. And pop the broken or old wheel stud out and press the new ones in.

Sorry. I misinterpreted. I meant to ask about messing up my hubs and bearings, not the axle.
So, how did you get the bearing out of the hub?
Old 05-27-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Ah, okay. Most people replace the bearings when they press out the hub, because the process often to damage them and they're a wear part anyway. It doesn't necessarily damage them though, yours could be fine.
Old 05-27-2012
Registered!!

What do you guys make of this?

EDIT: OK, the stupid forum software will not let me post a youtube link with a time at the end, so paste the following in your address bar: youtube.com/watch?v=FEDrioMDe1k&t=1m30s

Last edited by CivicN3wb; 05-27-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-27-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

It's worth a shot if you want to try it.
Old 05-28-2012
Registered!!

Hey MindBomber,

I've been following BlueEM2's ball joint DIY but have gotten stuck, unfortunately. I cannot get the lower ball joint to separate from the lower control arm. Nothing I have tried has worked. I've tried putting a ratchet handle in there, and then I tried a breaker bar handle (which is very thick.. nothing any thicker will fit in there, even with the lower control arm jacked up all the way). I've tried lowering the jack at full speed, and stepping on the rotor after it came down. The ball joint will not break free.

I noticed in BlueEM2's thread that you actually ran into this same problem. Can I ask how you managed to break yours free?

Thanks for your help
Old 05-28-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anibis will become famous soon enoughanibis will become famous soon enough

I've always used that method on 6th and 7th gens with my Craftsman breaker bar. It usually takes a few times but it always worked for me.

Just jack up the LCA so the breaker bar handle fits snug, and lower it at full speed, if it doesn't work try again.
Old 05-28-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Okay, well, if you try this do so at your own risk and be careful.

I placed a jack stand directly under the ball joint stud then very slowly lowered the car, once the suspension is fully compressed it will be forced to separate because the weight of the car will be against it.

I spent hours and hours trying to remove it using the trick BlueEM2 and Anibis used, among other things, before resorting to that.
Old 05-28-2012
Registered!!

Would that be the same as placing the jack under the ball joint stud and jacking up, do you think? Did it ruin your stud?
Old 05-28-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

No, that wouldn't be as stable as carefully lowering from a structural point. It will probably pop out suddenly, so going that route you would lose stability when it comes free.
Old 05-28-2012
Registered!!

Well, after spending literally six hours trying to separate the ball joint from the lower control arm, I was forced to give up as I was running out of daylight.

I tried the method you used, MindBomber, but even with the full weight of the car (well, maybe not the full weight, since the left tire was on the ground) that damn ball joint would not come out. I also tried putting the jack under the stud and jacking it up, but to no avail. I tried BlueEM2's method a few more times, using a crowbar with an extension on it to pry the joint off, as well as using the crowbar after dropping the joint down on it. I tried various other things, such as jumping on the rotor after dropping the control arm down with something under the ball joint, among other things, and the joint didn't even budge.

THIS IS THE BALL JOINT FROM HELL!

Lol :P I guess I'm going to have to take it to a mechanic, although I can't image how they will separate the ball joint from the lower control arm. I just hope it's not hundreds of dollars

Thanks for all of your help with this, MindBomber.
Old 05-28-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Mine was an absolute nightmare, worse than anything else I've encountered on the entire car.

The next step would be to try and find this tool.
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-qua...tor-99849.html

it's a ripoff of an OEM Honda tool.
http://www.kseriesparts.com/cr/HON-07MAC-SL00202.html

or take it to a mechanic, of course.
Old 05-28-2012
Registered!!

The next step would be to try and find this tool.
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-qua...tor-99849.html
Hmm, do you think that would really work?
Old 05-28-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

There's a good chance it will. I've heard of people who could not successfully break the ball joint free with the technique demonstrated by BlueEm2 but had success with the "proper" tool. I fought with mine for a full day before attempting the somewhat fool hardy technique I used, because I couldn't find that tool. If that tool doesn't work, I don't know what will short of a sledge hammer lol.
Old 05-29-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

the tool works, but might require moving the suspension up and down again. use a jack, it will pop out loudly
Old 05-29-2012
Registered!!

I used this. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...lange/_/N-264h with this http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...uestid=1439218

They attached to each other and the first one bolts into the studs.. and then you hammer away. It works and its free. Don't make fun of me. Lol

Old 05-29-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
the tool works, but might require moving the suspension up and down again. use a jack, it will pop out loudly
Are you saying to jack up the lower control arm, use the tool, and if that doesn't work drop the jack?

I used this. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...lange/_/N-264h with this http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...uestid=1439218

They attached to each other and the first one bolts into the studs.. and then you hammer away. It works and its free. Don't make fun of me. Lol
What did you use that for, exactly?
Old 05-29-2012
Registered!!

What did you use that for, exactly?
To remove the hub and replace the broken studs.

Quick Reply: Broken lug nut -- what should I do?