7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Buying a Civic with 150,000 Miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JadedWolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Buying a Civic with 150,000 Miles

Hello, new here;

I've never had a civic before. My car just recently broke down beyond repair, and I need to get a car ASAP. I was looking through classifieds and I found a 2002 Civic Sedan with 150,000 miles from a dealer for $2700. They say the car is in good shape and everything was maintained, although I'm legitimately terrified of getting a car with that kind of miles. I know its impossible for anyone to assist me over a forum with this unless they see the car personally, but I guess I'm just asking for opinions on that year Civic. I read through the reliability sticky thread and it seems okay, but I'd just an opinion from someone who knows more about this. Thanks for any help.
Old 05-16-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: Buying a Civic with 150,000 Miles

150k is nothing as long as it was well maintained.

the most important issue you should check for is a slipping transmission
Old 05-16-2012
Registered!!

pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

Unless there are service records and you are sure the timing belt has been replaced, figure the cost of replacing it into your plans.
Old 05-16-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

That price seems really low, unless its in bad shape. An 02 with 150k should be over $5k according to kbb, in excellent condition. 150k on a Honda is nothing.
Old 05-17-2012
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
scooty is on a distinguished road

List of problems I've had on my 03 LX with 112,000 on it. I don't race or beat on it. It's stock except for an axle back exhaust and short ram intake. bought the car at 48K. It ran flawlessly till about 100K when problems started showing up.

The oil has always been replaced at 5K intervals and the coolant flushed every 3 years. The engine has never been through an overheat event.

1. Oil pump o-ring seal is leaking. Honda engines should have no leaks at such low mileage... period.
2. Cracked exhaust manifold causes annoying ticking sound and loss of fuel economy. Very common problem.
3. Air bag light comes on if driver's seat is moved. Has to be reset at the SRS connector each time.
4. Manual transmission input shaft bearing is starting to get noisy. Transmission will have to be removed and take apart to fix this.
5. AC compressor pulley bearing is noisy and needs to be replaced.
6. Driver side power lock actuator went out and had to be replaced.
7. Squeaky clutch pedal.
8. Both lower control arm bushings went out at around 70K and had to be replaced. Rear control arm bushings are starting to get a little squeaky.
9. Sway bar end links bushings completely wore out at 100K, causing clunking noise.
10. Driver side head light hazed over. This seems to happen to a lot of Hondas

These are all very typical 7th gen Civic issues and a lot of members here have reported them on their cars. Of particular concern is the oil leak, cracked exhaust manifold, and developing transmission bearing issue. I'm almost inclined to say these cars are not all that bullet proof as people make them out to be.
Old 05-17-2012
Registered!!

Rodrigo is an unknown quantity at this point

Last December I purchased a 2005 LX with 162K miles on it (private party sale). It was clearly neglected. Oil was completely black and well over a quart low. Tires were less than a year old but were shot from being driven underinflated. Timing belt was NOT done, and I'm pretty sure the engine coolant was original.

Suspension & steering were solid, as was the clutch. I'm a capable DIY, so I bought it. I put $600 - $700 into getting the maintenance caught up and a new set of tires. It has the cracked exhaust manifold (I've gotten used to it, but am considering taking to a welding shop to see if brazing can close it up), and squeaky brake pedal (which I'll probably chase down someday).

The car is otherwise awesome.

BTW, I bought the thing because my daily-driver F-150 was eating me alive in gas expenses (11.5 mpg). I think the Civic has already paid for itself in gas alone.
Old 05-17-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Bought my 01 Lx with 99k on it second owner, timing belt was already done, all the service records were from the Honda dealer. The only thing I had to replace was the clutch slave cylinder that went bad, and cam shaft seal. It has 153k now, no leaks, minor squeaks after lowering it. The control arm bushings need to be replaced along with ball joints and end links but those are normal wear items that after 100k miles should be replaced. It's on my to-do list. Lithium grease fixes the squeaky clutch!

Last edited by GolNat; 05-17-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-30-2012
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Originally Posted by GolNat
Bought my 01 Lx with 99k on it second owner, timing belt was already done, all the service records were from the Honda dealer. The only thing I had to replace was the clutch slave cylinder that went bad, and cam shaft seal. It has 153k now, no leaks, minor squeaks after lowering it. The control arm bushings need to be replaced along with ball joints and end links but those are normal wear items that after 100k miles should be replaced. It's on my to-do list. Lithium grease fixes the squeaky clutch!
Ball joints should be replaced at 100k? Even if theyres no play?
Old 06-30-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie
Ball joints should be replaced at 100k? Even if theyres no play?
No. You only replace it when it ***** out on you. If its fine then don't touch them