7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A/C problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CaucasianAsianX is an unknown quantity at this point
A/C problem

My A/C isn't working in my Civic 04 VP, not blowing cold air but it is blowing air.
I bypassed my power relay to activate the a/c compressor clutch which turned on the a/c and it started blowing cold air.
Check the feron levels and it seems to be at the proper level
After having the a/c on for a min or two the system started to make a random hissing noise in spurts for 5 seconds then it stopped.
I decided to turn everything off because i didn't know what that was. Turned my engine back on and retried bypassing my power relay again, but the car stalled out. After another try got it to go back on and after 10 mins with the a/c it did the random spurts of hissing for 5 seconds or so and then continue to work "fine."
The power relay works fine btw.
Not sure what exactly it means. Do I need to get a new compressor?
Old 05-12-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A/C problem

Is this "hissing" noise venting of the freon?
If the radiator fans were not running while the compressor was on, then it could have overpressurized the high side and caused it to vent freon from the high pressure safety relief valve. You would probably have seen a small cloud of freon or smelled the PAG oil if this happened.

Do I need to get a new compressor?
You are asking this, after you already got it to work by bypassing the relay?
Wait: You managed to FIND the relay and bypass it? +1 for being farther ahead than most.
You need a crash course in refrigeration theory, and maybe some wiring diagrams that cover the electrical/electronic controls.

LOL, HTH?
Old 05-15-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CaucasianAsianX is an unknown quantity at this point

I bypassed the power relay again just now to see if it was leaking any Freon.

The a/c instead stalled out my engine. I couldn't even start the car with the a/c light engaged.

Idk if this has to do with my new 160amp alternator charging my two batteries or if it is something with the a/c system itself. Maybe the clutch or condenser fan?
I'm not sure...
Old 05-15-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaucasianAsianX
I bypassed the power relay again just now to see if it was leaking any Freon.
I am taking away the point I gave you in the other post.
Score:
Strike 1.

The a/c instead stalled out my engine. I couldn't even start the car with the a/c light engaged.
Strike 2.

You only made PART of the system operate when you bypassed the relay.
You made it engage when it shouldn't be.
The system depends on having all of its parts operate correctly. At the correct time.
I kind of said this in the other post, and you didn't "get it".

Don't run the compressor by itself without the radiator fans.
The compressor will try to lock up when the pressure gets near 450PSI, then it vents freon to relieve pressure.
This can kill the engine.
The starter can't overcome this either.

Idk if this has to do with my new 160amp alternator charging my two batteries or if it is something with the a/c system itself. Maybe the clutch or condenser fan?
I'm not sure...
Oh.
You're one of those.
From the appearances of what you have posted, your knowledge of this is limited to what a relay does, and how to bypass it.

Strike 3! You're out!

Stop jacking with it.
Close the hood and step away from the car.

Take it to a competent professional.
You are likely to cause yourself an expensive problem because you don't understand enough about AC theory to understand what you are doing or what possible damage you can cause.