7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Let's talk MPG!

Old 05-03-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
edwardwilliam is an unknown quantity at this point
Let's talk MPG!

I have a 114 mile commute to work, six days a week. As a result, I've begun to pay more attention to fuel economy (in fact, this is why I bought my Civic in the first place).

So, I'm wondering, what kind of mileage do you get? I'm curious about all sorts of different situations -- different engines, trannies, driving styles, and locations...

I live in TN, and have a hilly drive that is almost all highway/interstate. I try to drive easy (60-67 mph), and will let the speed drop up steep hills. My best tanks have been in the low 40s, my average lies around 37, and if I have to get on it because I'm late, I'm in the 34-35 range.

Y'all?
Old 05-03-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Let's talk MPG!

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...g-contest.html
Old 05-03-2012
Registered!!

I actually scanned the top three pages, but since it was so close to the top, I shot past it -- however, I'm more interested in driving style, and some tips that make each engine type more efficient.

Planning on trying to hook up an OBD scanner to get instant MPG -- and think that hearing people's opinion on their Civics will help us all save money.

Sorry for the quick duplicate.
Old 05-03-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

there are tons of thread like this. search.
Old 05-03-2012
Registered!!

Should I restart the thread with quasi-hypermiling tips? My goal was not a normal MPG thread, but rather talk tips to make everybody better off....
Old 05-03-2012
Registered!!

cja3455 is an unknown quantity at this point

That's a good mpg you are getting out of your civic. My civic run at around 30mpg highway and 25mpg city. However I have a friend who get over 45mpg highway out of his civic but he's the kind of guy who drive with fuel always in mind. I learned a new tip from him the last day that I didn't know before, I was riding with him on the highway and he kept tailgating a truck at slow speed so after 10minutes or so I was like why don't you pass that dam truck, he said this is a way of gas saving that give him over 30% better mpg, I googled it and it seems to be true
Old 05-04-2012
Registered!!

ryanclenney is an unknown quantity at this point

1. Check your tire pressure - I run mine at 35psi (5lbs over door-sticker recommendation)
  2. Shift early if you have a manual...you can achieve normal traffic-friendly acceleration shifting at 2500-2750 rpm.
  3. Anticipate stops. Coast as much as you can. If manual, go to neurtral and idle to the stop vs. leaving in gear.
  4. Even without a check engine light, you may have a code. If it's P1298, you have a bad ELD (electronic load detector) - and when they fail your alternator works harder and you lose a little mpg.
  5. Keep your car clean = less aero drag.
  6. Don't idle excessively. More than 30 seconds, turn it off.
  7. Don't run AC more than you have to.
  8. Use quality oils in the transmission and engine.
  9. Spark plugs - don't buy the hype...the BEST spark plug is a NEW spark plug. Get the $2.99 NGK's if you're not running nitrous or turbo. Anything more expensive is a WASTE of MONEY.

Last edited by ryanclenney; 05-04-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-04-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by edwardwilliam
however, I'm more interested in driving style, and some tips that make each engine type more efficient.
my posts says a lot in there... 2nd page...
Originally Posted by sdaidoji
LOL! so much true!
people needs to learn to search and then to learn how to drive and maintain the car.
highest: 44 MPG with rear down by tires inside rear fender by 1" in rears (moving back to US from canada, all stuff in trunk & rear seat), driving 'round 70 MPH (north speed limits 65 in HWY), very little braking, ;ifting throttle in downhills, keeping speed when up hills - basically keeping momentum - what?!? high school physics, guys!) that with a blown head gasket!
averaging 30 - 32 MPG city/hwy now with a stage 1 cam shaft. Mileage is for who knows HOW to drive, not so much mechanical. I blow out laughing on the guys loosing speed down to 30 mph in uphillls and stepping on the gas on downhills thinking it will save gas... FI will CUT fuel when going downhill abpove cetain RPM. idiots...

Oh, yeah, i AM heavy footed guy (when i want to and thinks it's wise to do so)
Old 05-04-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cja3455
That's a good mpg you are getting out of your civic. My civic run at around 30mpg highway and 25mpg city. However I have a friend who get over 45mpg highway out of his civic but he's the kind of guy who drive with fuel always in mind. I learned a new tip from him the last day that I didn't know before, I was riding with him on the highway and he kept tailgating a truck at slow speed so after 10minutes or so I was like why don't you pass that dam truck, he said this is a way of gas saving that give him over 30% better mpg, I googled it and it seems to be true
ye need to watch mithbusters.... there's a whole episode on this...
Old 05-05-2012
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

ecomodder.com list of mpg tips will get you started. but it looks like you need aero mods more than anything if you do lots of freewy driving.
Old 05-07-2012
Registered!!

ryanclenney is an unknown quantity at this point

To those of you spending money on MPG improvements, here are some ROI calculations:

1500 miles per month
37.70 current MPG
2.0 targeted MPG improvement
$250.00 in upgrade cost
$3.79 per gallon
Months to ROI: 33

This means if you spend 250 bucks on something(s) that will yield a 2mpg improvement, it's going to take nearly 3 years to break even on the cost of the part.

On these already-economical-to-drive cars, spending money on parts to improve MPG is a fools-errand.

If you're trying to improve performance, great, have at it. If you're trying to improve MPG, make sure you're doing it out of principal, (for instance, you want to spend less on terrorists), and NOT to actually save money.
Old 05-07-2012
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i just do it cause it gives me something to do
Old 05-30-2012
Registered!!

mcamphr is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi There fellow Civicians,

I just joined the Honda world and bought a 2001 Civic HX coincided with new job that upped my commute from 10 miles one way to 70miles one way. I make that 140 mile commute at least three times a week. My 98 Volvo S70 just wasn't cutting it in the MPG dept. My last tankful in the Honda avg 37.3 but I also ended up hauling a complete set of tire/wheel combo and an extra set of steel wheels for at least 150 miles. I swapped out the previous owners tires (205 55 R16) for a new set of 175 70 R14 and I have a 500 mile trip the next two days. I'm curious to see if the tire switch bumps up the MPG - I also have racing disk on order should be here this weekend. I notices that at 64-65mph the RPM sit right at 2500rpm - not sure if this is where it should be. I didn't ask the previous owner if he had replaced the transmission. Manual 5spd. I will also try to keep the speed between 62-64 for this trip.

Just came back from long trip 500 miles - hit 43.4mpg driving around 62mph using cruise control most of time with no AC and windows rolled up.

Last edited by mcamphr; 06-01-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 07-01-2012
Registered!!

pokerfan_66 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just bought a 2010 Honda Civic LXS. From my calculations i am just about right at what the mpg is supposed to be 29 mpg for average and 35 highway. My question to anyone out there who would know is this ....... When the last bar on the gas gauge disappears about how much gas or how many miles can you go?
Old 07-01-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pokerfan_66
My question to anyone out there who would know is this ....... When the last bar on the gas gauge disappears about how much gas or how many miles can you go?
Did you mean when the low fuel light comes on, or when all the gauge bars disappear?

Do you REALLY want to find out? It has that LOW FUEL light for a reason. You will be embarrassed hoofing it to a gas station because you pushed an empty tank and ran out of gas.

When the cars were brand new and fresh off the truck, the gauge had no bars lit on most of them and the low fuel warning was on bright....a few actually ran out of gas in the shop, some made it around a test drive to the gas station just fine. I remember at least one that didn't get off of the semi on its own, we had to add fuel to it to make it run.

It is anyones guess, but I wouldn't trust it 20 miles.
Old 07-02-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

Gas gauges are not deadly accurate, they are an indication. If you really want to find out how far you can go when the light comes on I would suggest having a full gas can in the trunk, run till it stops and measure it yourself. There would still be no guarantee that it would be the same next time.