7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

this amp okay? maybe a better one?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012
I am Epic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted
Re: this amp okay? maybe a better one?

Looks good but honestly i dont even like my car and still trying to get a new car ans dump this POS. Its causing so much stress in my life its not even funny. I love my sound system cause it sounds sooo good but i cant even explain how stressed out i am right now.
Old 05-09-2012
Girls twist wrenches too...

Roxie is a jewel in the roughRoxie is a jewel in the roughRoxie is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by lowlife9
lol i think you need a lesson in RMS and peak or max power ratings.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_power
Maybe I need a refresher in Audio Output 101 lol. *reads*
Old 05-10-2012
Delightfully tacky. Yet unrefined

m3gach33zy is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks good lowlife. How'd you mount your amps to the back seat? From what I understand, the back of the seats aren't solid and there's some kind of bars that are under the carpet. Did you just tie them to that?

Sorry to hear about your car civicnoobie, hopefully you can work it out with the civic
Old 05-12-2012

The transit tracker says it'll be here sometime today so it's going in soon! Can anyone give me a heads up on how to get through the firewall and plug in the power and ground wires to the battery? Maybe a nice picture would help
Old 05-12-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I had to zip tie mine to the back seat because there are bars...I cut through the main wire harness grommet that is on the firewall. Use an Xacto to push through the grommet (CAREFULLY) If I remember correctly its on the passenger side. It should be the only one has lots of wires to go to the ECU.
Old 05-12-2012

Originally Posted by GolNat
I had to zip tie mine to the back seat because there are bars...I cut through the main wire harness grommet that is on the firewall. Use an Xacto to push through the grommet (CAREFULLY) If I remember correctly its on the passenger side. It should be the only one has lots of wires to go to the ECU.
So I just push through where the wires are already and they'll end up in the engine bay? Sorry if that sounds dumb I'm just not sure lol. I saw in some other threads some people went through the grommets in the door panel, how's that sound?
Old 05-12-2012
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Yep, the grommet is big, here are some pics of the firewall grommet and where I put my wires.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0549.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	83313   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0550.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	83314   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0551.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	83315  

Last edited by GolNat; 05-12-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-12-2012

Yep, the grommet is big, here are some pics of the firewall grommet and where I put my wires.
Awesome! Just wondering, but why do you have your fuse capacitor for the positive in the engine bay? Why not splice it before the grommet?
Old 05-12-2012
Prelude Owner

That's not a fuse it's a junction block for my remote start. The fuse is suppose to be about a foot or less from the battery.
Old 05-12-2012

Ah, good to know thanks. The amp just came in the mail and I'm going out to put it in. Wish me luck lol
Old 05-12-2012
Prelude Owner

Lol, Sweet!! Just take your time.
Old 05-13-2012

Overall that was pretty easy! I do have one problem though. The power cable is connected to the + along with my headlights. The amp wont power on unless I turn the lights on. I tried separating the 2 on different sides of the nut/bolt but no dice. Some reason they only work when they are connected together with my headlights. Also, I'm not entirely sure I have it set up correctly. The bass levels I'm getting from the sub seem to be pretty low, but maybe because I haven't tuned it yet?
Old 05-13-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i have plywood screwed into the braces on the backseat pulled the carpet back then mounted the amps.i didn't want to be ghetto and just zip tie everything its a more solid mount.and make sure you have your low pass filters on and then mess with the gain to get it where you want it.

Last edited by lowlife9; 05-13-2012 at 04:08 AM.
Old 05-13-2012
Prelude Owner

You don't want to hook it up to your headlights. It needs a dedicated circuit. Take your positive cable from the amp and run it the fuse box on the left side of the car. Here is a picture. Then cut a slit in the fuse box cover so that it will fit over the cable and close securely. This spot on the fuse box is like hooking it directly to the positive terminal of the battery, so its not sharing any circuits. Also there are pics of the my amp mounted on my back seat. After you get everything working you can go back and clean stuff up but I ran my wires under the seat carpet and cut slits in the carpet so they were not all over the place. Just makes it look nicer in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0555.jpg
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	83317   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0556.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	83318   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0552.jpg
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	83319   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0553.jpg
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	83320   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0554.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	83321  

Last edited by GolNat; 05-13-2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-13-2012

Originally Posted by lowlife9
i have plywood screwed into the braces on the backseat pulled the carpet back then mounted the amps.i didn't want to be ghetto and just zip tie everything its a more solid mount.and make sure you have your low pass filters on and then mess with the gain to get it where you want it.
I'll probably mount mine the same way. I just have it zip tied right now xD. Thanks for the advice, I'll be going out to tune it here soon.

You don't want to hook it up to your headlights. It needs a dedicated circuit. Take your positive cable from the amp and run it the fuse box on the left side of the car. Here is a picture. Then cut a slit in the fuse box cover so that it will fit over the cable and close securely. This spot on the fuse box is like hooking it directly to the positive terminal of the battery, so its not sharing any circuits. Also there are pics of the my amp mounted on my back seat. After you get everything working you can go back and clean stuff up but I ran my wires under the seat carpet and cut slits in the carpet so they were not all over the place. Just makes it look nicer in my opinion.
That's interesting! Not negatively questioning you, but how do you know that's a safe mount point? Just wondering for future electronic installation stuff.
Old 05-13-2012

So I went out and switched the power for the headlights and the amp. The amp wont power on unless the light are powered on too, despite me moving the power cables apart. Now that's not the only problem.

Last night the sub was working, now that I've switched the power around the sub wont put out anything. Of course I tried putting the light and amp cable back together how I had it working before, but now even that won't work. I tried using a separate sub to see if it was the sub somehow, but even that one didn't work. What am I doing wrong and now seem to be missing?
Old 05-13-2012
Prelude Owner

It's just like hooking it straight up to the pos of the battery. If you follow the cable it goes to the battery. It's before it goes into the fuse box. If it helps im an electronic technician. If you want you can buy a new positive terminal for the battery. They make ones with terminals to add extra wires.
Old 05-13-2012

Thanks. The spot works for the exception of the problems I'm having now.
Old 05-13-2012
Prelude Owner

Check your fuse, ground, remote turn on wire. Did you sand down the grounding spot?
Old 05-13-2012

I'm an idiot plugged the rca's into the wrong spot on the amp
Old 05-13-2012
Prelude Owner

That's good you found it. Easy mistake to make!
Old 05-13-2012

Any idea on what might be causing me to have to have the lights on in order to get the amp to power on?
Old 05-13-2012
Don't be a n00b, search ftw
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future

Are you using the headlight circuit as the trigger to turn the amp on?
Old 05-13-2012

Originally Posted by 01HonderCivic
Are you using the headlight circuit as the trigger to turn the amp on?
I have no idea. I wired the p. control to the p. control wire on the head unit. Other than that I don't know where it's getting the idea that I need to have the lights on. + to the +.... - to the -.... I totally separated the power from the lights and the amp so yeah no idea where a wire would get crossed other than in the head unit area.. which I'm pretty sure I did right
Old 05-13-2012
Prelude Owner

The remote turn on wire should be hooked up to the ignition or a separate toggle switch. Like 01honder said, you must have wired that to the headlight wire.
Old 05-13-2012

01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future

You sure you didn't somehow wire it to the dash light illumination trigger? That's the only thing I could see that would make it come on when the headlights are on...
Old 05-13-2012

Just looked up the manual for your stereo, you connected it to the blue/white wire, correct?
Old 05-13-2012

Yeah. The only other thing I forgot about was how this wire was a different color than the others. The wire from the headunit was blue with a white stripe. The wire from the amp kit was solid blue, and the wire I'm splicing into is orange. Every other wire had a correct colored wire to go with it except this one which I spliced into the orange.

http://db.tt/SENT9KcK
Old 05-13-2012

Orange is the dash illumination, bro. It would explain why it only powers on with the lights.
Old 05-13-2012

Where does the blue/white and blue p cord go then? Every other cable had a color for it to go to except these.

Quick Reply: this amp okay? maybe a better one?