7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Okada Projects Plasma Direct Coil Packs-Civic 01-05 D17A

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MandM is an unknown quantity at this point
Okada Projects Plasma Direct Coil Packs-Civic 01-05 D17A

So while surfin Dezod the other day I ran across these fancy fellas. http://www.dezod.com/pd-okada-projects-plasmadirect.cfm

Does anyone have any experience with them? Are they worth $750 if you dont have a turbo kit? Are they even worth the $750 with a turbo kit? Or should one just save that $750 and put it towards a turbo kit?
Old 04-20-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aetoc will become famous soon enoughAetoc will become famous soon enough
Re: Okada Projects Plasma Direct Coil Packs-Civic 01-05 D17A

I was looking at those a while ago too...the things is, there are people on this very board that have boosted em2s with 400+ hp who didn't use this kind of upgrade...so I don't see how much help they would be, other than possibly making the car less likely to misfire due to spark.
Old 04-20-2012
Busy Speeding!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough

I would say its not worth $750 unless you wanna go ***** out on a crazy setup. and by the time you spend all that money, just do a kswap
Old 04-20-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Not worth it.

A few people have used them, but D17 coilpacks already produce a very strong spark so they aren't really necessary. If you were looking to unseat Andy's record (who rumor has it has recently been beaten by someone in Southern Ontario) then that's the only time I would consider buying them. At that point, you would already have a solid 10-15k into the engine.
Old 04-20-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

O_o.. someone beat andy's 489whp on a D17...?
Old 04-20-2012
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, supposedly with 500+ WHP. Dyno Sheet please...
Old 04-20-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Andy's record frankly is not that outstanding, it stands not because of miraculous skill, but because no one is dumb enough to put so much effort into a D17. You could make more power for less money on a K-series including the cost of doing the swap, because you don't need to spend on silly things like $1200 IMs.

Anyway, Southern Ontario has a history of very high horsepower D17s, there have been two approaching Andy's record for a long time. I've seen the car which is supposedly over 500whp, I gotta say it's very plausible.
Old 04-20-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

seriously.. I've seen Andy's dyno sheet, so I know his build was legit
Old 04-20-2012
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Here's a review for the coil packs on a D17. Unfortunately it needs to be translated, haha.

http://www.civicesgroup.com/forum/topic16649

From what I can remember, these broke more often than not.