7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is my frame or radiator bent? (can't get drain plug out)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicN3wb is an unknown quantity at this point
Is my frame or radiator bent? (can't get drain plug out)

I'm trying to change my timing belt right now and part of that process is draining the coolant out of the radiator. I just bought this car last week and didn't notice until I tried draining the coolant today that the radiator drain plug is right up against the frame and looks to be impossible to get out. Here is a picture:

Name:  IMG_5918.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  91.5 KB

Name:  IMG_5919.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  92.5 KB

See how the plug is right up against that black metal piece (the frame?).

Question 1: This doesn't look good Do you think it is the frame or the radiator that is bent?

Question 2: How do I drain the coolant if I can't get the drain plug out? I need to drain the coolant so that I can change the water pump.

PLEASE HELP!!
Old 04-14-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is my frame or radiator bent? (can't get drain plug out)

Id start by releasing the car off the jack then getting at the plug. if that does not work:

Aftermarket radiator FAIL. They probably installed it with the plug already installed... Your kinda gonna make a mess but pull the lower rad hose with something enormous underneath to catch the coolant. Disconnect it from the radiator itself.

Or you can just keep trying to wiggle that thing out.

Last edited by BlueEM2; 04-14-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-14-2012
Registered!!

Thanks for your reply BlueEM2.

Where is the lower radiator hose located? I'm looking for it but don't see it. Would removing the drain bolt behind the oil filter work as well?
Old 04-14-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

What I would do (on a customers car, because I didn't create the radiator drainplug problem):

Just ignore the drainplugs and yank the water pump off.
(Put the drain pan under it.)
I actually remove all but one bolt, then turn out the last bolt 4 or 5 turns, and pop the pump loose. It's a controlled leak now.
Remove after the coolant has drained from the block.
Rinse off the antifreeze mess with a garden hose before reassembly.

And yes, that is what I really do every time.
Simple.

HTH
Old 04-14-2012
Registered!!

I take back my previous comment about not being able to locate the hose. I was looking in the wrong place, and I believe I see it now (it's BIG, right?)

Originally Posted by ezone
Remove after the coolant has drained from the block.
Rinse off the antifreeze mess with a garden hose before reassembly.
When you say to rinse off the antifreeze, do you mean do a flush of the system with a garden hose (i.e. run the water from the hose in to the fill cap to flush the old antifreeze out) or the outside of the engine where the antifreeze runs out after I pull the pump?

Thanks for your advice!
Old 04-14-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CivicN3wb
I take back my previous comment about not being able to locate the hose. I was looking in the wrong place, and I believe I see it now (it's BIG, right?)

When you say to rinse off the antifreeze, do you mean do a flush of the system with a garden hose (i.e. run the water from the hose in to the fill cap to flush the old antifreeze out) or the outside of the engine where the antifreeze runs out after I pull the pump?

Thanks for your advice!
You can flush whatever you want while the cooling system is opened up.

I said rinse off the MESS. Yanking the pump off will make a MESS even if you managed to drain the radiator first.

That MESS means external, you want clean clean clean when you install the timing belt.
Rinse off the crank pulley and everything that got antifreeze spilled on it when you pulled the pump off.
The lifespan of the timing belt depends on staying clean and dry. (Fresh clean water will not hurt it though.)

For anyone else reading this and maybe working on an older car: Shove the valve cover back on and stick the dipstick tube back in its hole (where applicable) so you don't get water in the crankcase.

HTH