7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Torque Wrench Recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicN3wb is an unknown quantity at this point
Torque Wrench Recommendation?

I need to replace the timing belt on my '02 Civic and am in the process of buying the tools I need. The guide I'm reading talks about torquing one bolt to 7.2lb/ft, but I'm having a hard time finding a torque wrench that can go that low.

Can anyone recommend a torque wrench that's fairly inexpensive that will work for the timing belt job?

Thanks
Old 04-08-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Torque Wrench Recommendation?

Find a torque wrench that reads in in-lbs.

7.2 ft-lbs is 86.4 in-lbs.

edit: craftsman makes one with a 25-250in-lb range. I think I picked mine up for $90 at sears.

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 04-08-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-09-2012
Registered!!

Artificial has a spectacular aura aboutArtificial has a spectacular aura aboutArtificial has a spectacular aura about

Pick one of up from Harbor Freight for $20. That's where I got mine. They have 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive ones. The 3/8" is what I have an its adjustable from 5lbs-80lbs.
Old 04-09-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

It's worthwhile to invest in two good torque wrenches, one inch pound and one foot pound. You'll inevitably need both at some point if you plan on doing your own maintenance long term. The investment in a few good tools pays off quickly anyway.
Old 04-09-2012
Registered!!

CivicN3wb is an unknown quantity at this point

Are the ones from Harbor Freight good enough? Some of the reviews talk about how the torque is not accurate and how they broke bolts and destroyed what they were bolting the bolts to because of this. Although, I have yet to find a torque wrench (regardless of the price) that doesn't have some negative reviews..

These are the torque wrenches that Harbor Freight sells. Should I get the 1/4" and 1/2" torque wrenches?
Old 04-09-2012
Registered!!

Artificial has a spectacular aura aboutArtificial has a spectacular aura aboutArtificial has a spectacular aura about

I've never had an issue with mine.

I'd get the 3/8" drive, unless you have 1/2" sockets. Unless I'm retarded, 3/8" is pretty common. There's only been a handful of times I've needed and used a 1/2" socket wrench. The 1/4" is for the smaller stuff, most of the time I just use a 3/8" to 1/4" adapter.