7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Few questions about the 7th gen

Old 04-08-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lithium94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Few questions about the 7th gen

First post, but have always enjoyed reading this forum as a non-member. I recently sold my 05 & 04 Acura TL's and purchased a 2012 Acura RDX for the wife. I need a daily drive to put 60 miles on for throughout the week. Of course, a Honda Civic is known for its quality build and fuel efficiency, so I've decided to purchase one.

I have around $8k to spend and would like a sedan. I'm interested in both 7th and 8th generation civics and I'm curious for feedback whether or not I should spend a little more for the 8th gen? It seems I can get an 04 or 05 w/ 120k miles for around $6k and a 2006 w/ the same mileage for $8k.

Reading the forums, it seems like many members have rolled beyond 200k miles and still have no issues with the car. Consumer Reports shows excellent ratings for both years, so I'm curious for the following:

- Is there a large difference in the 7th & 8th beyond an aging car?
- Since many of the cars are 100k+ miles, are there any mandatory servicing that needs to be done (i.e. find a great deal on a Civic, but have to invest $2,000 in service)?
- What's a good mileage to purchase? I would like to keep it for around 5 -7 years.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-08-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Few questions about the 7th gen

Originally Posted by lithium94
First post, but have always enjoyed reading this forum as a non-member. I recently sold my 05 & 04 Acura TL's and purchased a 2012 Acura RDX for the wife. I need a daily drive to put 60 miles on for throughout the week. Of course, a Honda Civic is known for its quality build and fuel efficiency, so I've decided to purchase one.

I have around $8k to spend and would like a sedan. I'm interested in both 7th and 8th generation civics and I'm curious for feedback whether or not I should spend a little more for the 8th gen? It seems I can get an 04 or 05 w/ 120k miles for around $6k and a 2006 w/ the same mileage for $8k.

Reading the forums, it seems like many members have rolled beyond 200k miles and still have no issues with the car. Consumer Reports shows excellent ratings for both years, so I'm curious for the following:

- Is there a large difference in the 7th & 8th beyond an aging car?
- Since many of the cars are 100k+ miles, are there any mandatory servicing that needs to be done (i.e. find a great deal on a Civic, but have to invest $2,000 in service)?
- What's a good mileage to purchase? I would like to keep it for around 5 -7 years.

Thanks in advance!
One of the major differences between the two generations was the transition from a 1.7L to 1.8L engine (Si excluded), as well as adding weight. Many of us with a 7th gens are able to manage above 40mpg highway, whereas most 8th gens don't break mid to low thirties I believe.

All the standard used car with respectably high mileage issues need to be looked at, what needs to be replaced/maintained is very dependent on how diligent the previous owner was. The entire suspension is reaching the end of it's life span; ball joints, tie rods, control arm bushings, shocks. The timing belt is due for service around that point, but many people delay it; timing belt, water pump, auto tensioner. The there's the standard maintenance stuff for a used car; brake fluid, ps fluid, coolant, oil, spark plugs, air filter.

As low as possible of course. Problems start to pop up with greater frequency the higher the mileage, but between 175-200 is sort of the sweet spot for transmission rebuilds and head gaskets to become necessary. That said, there's a 7th gen hybrid with over a million miles currently I believe, so maintain it well and it will last a very long time.
Old 04-08-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MindBomber
One of the major differences between the two generations was the transition from a 1.7L to 1.8L engine (Si excluded), as well as adding weight. Many of us with a 7th gens are able to manage above 40mpg highway, whereas most 8th gens don't break mid to low thirties I believe.

All the standard used car with respectably high mileage issues need to be looked at, what needs to be replaced/maintained is very dependent on how diligent the previous owner was. The entire suspension is reaching the end of it's life span; ball joints, tie rods, control arm bushings, shocks. The timing belt is due for service around that point, but many people delay it; timing belt, water pump, auto tensioner. The there's the standard maintenance stuff for a used car; brake fluid, ps fluid, coolant, oil, spark plugs, air filter.

As low as possible of course. Problems start to pop up with greater frequency the higher the mileage, but between 175-200 is sort of the sweet spot for transmission rebuilds and head gaskets to become necessary. That said, there's a 7th gen hybrid with over a million miles currently I believe, so maintain it well and it will last a very long time.
Thanks for the info! I think I am leaning towards a 80k - 120k 04 or 05 sedan. I'm going to take it to a trusty mechanic I know, but if the prior owner/dealer does not have paperwork, I suppose I can list things for him to check to see how old/new the pertinent parts are.

Is there a master list with the information for an 04/05 with recommended mileage changes I can have inspected with the car? Thanks again!
Old 04-09-2012
My favorite TV shows are JDM. My Honda isn't...

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

8th gens have a more flexible motor for modification, but that probably won't concern you if you're not looking to get serious power from your daily driver.

I own a 7th gen and I'm very pleased with it. About 55k at the moment and driving like brand new. The MPG benefits of the 7th gen far outweigh the sluggish 8th and in my opinion, feel more nimble to drive. (my friend has an 8th and I'm not as happy with the road feel in his car) Styling wise, they're both good looking cars, but for sedans, I'd lean towards the 8th gen if you're looking to turn heads.

Overall, it's your choice and there's not much we can say to change your decision entirely. I'd try to influence you one way or another, but it's too hard to choose! Flip a coin
Old 04-09-2012
Registered!!

I think I'm sticking with a 7th gen. I think they both look good, but I'm definitely more interested in the MPG more than anything.
Old 04-11-2012
Registered!!

So I think I may have found one. It's an 05 LX sedan auto w/ 112,000 miles. Clean title, although Carfax shows slight front-left damage. Asking $6,995.

I have a contact at an Acura dealership who will do a used car inspection for $70. What do you guys think? Pull the trigger? As long as it is not salvaged, should I be worried about a slight damage on the Carfax?

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...16711894&Log=0
Old 04-11-2012
Registered!!

tipnitty is on a distinguished road

Not bad, I would haggle with the price a bit though.
Old 04-11-2012
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lithium94
So I think I may have found one. It's an 05 LX sedan auto w/ 112,000 miles. Clean title, although Carfax shows slight front-left damage. Asking $6,995.

I have a contact at an Acura dealership who will do a used car inspection for $70. What do you guys think? Pull the trigger? As long as it is not salvaged, should I be worried about a slight damage on the Carfax?

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...16711894&Log=0
If there are any repairs needed, see if you could use that toward the maintenance.
Old 04-11-2012
not new to this

coupedeill is an unknown quantity at this point

def go with the inspection,especially for $70...cant go wrong. I'd like to see the price come down a bit too.
Old 04-12-2012
Registered!!

Thanks for all the feedback! I know the service manager at Acura and he always gives me great deals. They also service Honda's, too. I'm curious about everyone's feedback on the price. How much more should I negotiate? In my area, the same year w/ 40k more miles are going for over $1k more. Plus, there are no dealer fees. They just charge tax, tag, and title.
Old 04-12-2012

krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

Pretty nice! Defintiely go for that inspection and see if anything is in need of replacement. at 112k, factory-installed parts are starting to turn ugly like timing belt, spark plugs, etc. Luckily it's an '05 and a tiny bit more refined than a 01-03.

The price to me is reasonable, but that's because me and my parents have never purchased from a private seller so I'm used to seeing MSRP stickers. But my neighbors just sold their 2002 LX with 102k miles for only $4,000 so you may be able to haggle that price down to about $6,000 if you outsmart the seller.
Old 04-12-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

7th gen is the way to go. The interior still feels like a normal car, not a spaceship. The outside is classy but not over the top. The car itself is solid with minimal issues. However I will recommend a manual over an automatic transmission. Other than the automatic transmission the 7th gen is a really good car.
Old 04-12-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by krudmuphin
Pretty nice! Defintiely go for that inspection and see if anything is in need of replacement. at 112k, factory-installed parts are starting to turn ugly like timing belt, spark plugs, etc. Luckily it's an '05 and a tiny bit more refined than a 01-03.

The price to me is reasonable, but that's because me and my parents have never purchased from a private seller so I'm used to seeing MSRP stickers. But my neighbors just sold their 2002 LX with 102k miles for only $4,000 so you may be able to haggle that price down to about $6,000 if you outsmart the seller.
It's actually a dealership. I think KBB is a joke and live by Edmunds, which has the car at $7,400 dealer retail. If I can get it for $6,500 I'll be happy. All the Civics I have seen in this price range have had a few issues and are usually in an 02 - 04. I like that it's an 05!

I actually wanted an 8th gen, but this thread sold me on MPG so I'm in the hunt for an 05!
Old 04-12-2012
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Do a little more research on the fuel mileage. According to www.fuelly.com the 06 actually gets better mileage than the 05. Fuelly is the most accurate at measuring mileage:

http://www.fuelly.com/car/honda/civic

I've never hit over 36mpg in my 05, and that's driving 60mph constant with the air conditioning and fan and radio turned off... I maxxed out at 36.6 and couldn't get any more. All highway.
Old 04-12-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
Do a little more research on the fuel mileage. According to www.fuelly.com the 06 actually gets better mileage than the 05. Fuelly is the most accurate at measuring mileage:

http://www.fuelly.com/car/honda/civic

I've never hit over 36mpg in my 05, and that's driving 60mph constant with the air conditioning and fan and radio turned off... I maxxed out at 36.6 and couldn't get any more. All highway.
Does a radio have an impact on MPG?
Old 04-12-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Sorry I have 2 10" subs in my car so when i run it with the volume up it does use more gas
Old 04-13-2012

Same mustn't be true of the coupes then. Fuelly rated the 05 coupe at 41 highway and all other generations at only 37. Truthfully, I get about 31 city with my EX and 40 on highway, so it's no myth.
Old 04-13-2012
CO&CA

TFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the rough

04 d17a2 EX, I GET 28-32. im RUNNING ON 17'S, 2x12 Subs, blasting all the time. HID (w projectors) and I accelerate hard....

when it was stock I would get 33-36 (city / highway)
Old 04-13-2012
Registered!!

I picked up the car this afternoon @ $6,500. Timing belt was changed last week, tires are new, and brake have 6mm. Overall, they said the car was immaculate. I'm very happy with my purchase and can't wait to start getting the improved MPG!

My next purchase for the car: iPod adapter. Doing some research now and it looks like the piece to connect to the factory unit is $129, but I imagine you cannot control it form the head unit. Maybe I'll just purchase a new head unit with USB in the back. Either way, I'll scour the forums.

Thanks again for everyone's help!!
Old 07-23-2012
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
7th gen is the way to go. The interior still feels like a normal car, not a spaceship. The outside is classy but not over the top. The car itself is solid with minimal issues. However I will recommend a manual over an automatic transmission. Other than the automatic transmission the 7th gen is a really good car.
You think the 8th gen exterior is over the top? I will agree with the spaceship feel though. Its horrible, the dash is so deep you can lay out a 5 course dinner on it. Visibility is not nearly as good as 7th gen cause doesnt the windshield sit a lot flatter?
Old 07-23-2012
Registered!!

Aetoc will become famous soon enoughAetoc will become famous soon enough

Congrats on the purchase! Having the timing belt done that recently means you'll save some cash, that's for sure...now its good for a long time to come...I love the crap out of mine... 250k km (155k miles) and still original clutch...I've only had to replace my alternator due to my stereo...there's maybe 2 specs of surface rust the size of a pen tip on the whole body...aside from some small door dents, it's in great shape. In terms of the head unit...just get somethig simple with the ipod connectivity built in...then you'll at least be able to control it with the head unit, and see track names and such so you're not staring at small text while trying to drive.
Old 07-23-2012
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Originally Posted by Aetoc
Congrats on the purchase! Having the timing belt done that recently means you'll save some cash, that's for sure...now its good for a long time to come...I love the crap out of mine... 250k km (155k miles) and still original clutch...I've only had to replace my alternator due to my stereo...there's maybe 2 specs of surface rust the size of a pen tip on the whole body...aside from some small door dents, it's in great shape. In terms of the head unit...just get somethig simple with the ipod connectivity built in...then you'll at least be able to control it with the head unit, and see track names and such so you're not staring at small text while trying to drive.
I saw your civic and its very nice. I wish I could get a body kit but theyre just too expensive on ebay. Once you get front, sides and back lips with shipping itll be at least $200. But thats not even the worst, you have to get them primed and painted at a shop so you would be looking at another $200-300 easy and then install.

Not a cheap mod.
Old 07-24-2012
Registered!!

Aetoc will become famous soon enoughAetoc will become famous soon enough

That's putting it on the cheap side too...I paid $150 for my OEM reverb side skirts (painted already), $60 for the lip, and then I had the whole front and rear bumper re-painted (they also filled in the oem license plate hole in the front and fixed the scuff on the rear) for $300...so $510 and I still don't have a rear lip lol