7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Flywheel source?

Old 04-04-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
scootergmc will become famous soon enough
Flywheel source?

Hello all, I usually just read, however- I'm going to be replacing the clutch on the '04 as 200K miles has come and gone. I have an Exedy OE replacement on its way from rockauto.com but strangely enough they don't stock any flywheels. I even called to confirm. Since the tranny will be out, I might as well throw on a new flywheel while I'm at it. Other than eBay, does anyone know where to get a good deal on an OE style flywheel? I'm not a racer, don't drag, don't need to launch, just use it for commuting. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-04-2012
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Flywheel source?

You can resurface your flywheel if it's still serviceable. Google the part number 22100-PLR-003 for vendors. There's one on Ebay with free shipping for $120. http://www.ebay.com/itm/200698297369...bile#vi-ilComp
Old 04-10-2012
Registered!!

Thanks. Other than ebay, an OEM style flywheel seems to be a mystery part on the cheap. Any reason why the service manual says resurfacing is not recommended?
Old 04-10-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anibis will become famous soon enoughanibis will become famous soon enough

I'm not sure why the service manual would say not to resurface the flywheel. If I remember right it said you must resurface/replace the flywheel in the manual my Exedy clutch came with.

It is possible the flywheel is damaged and cannot be resurfaced but you won't know for sure until you pull it off.
Old 04-10-2012
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by scootergmc
Thanks. Other than ebay, an OEM style flywheel seems to be a mystery part on the cheap. Any reason why the service manual says resurfacing is not recommended?
The reason it is preferred to start with a new flywheel is that some machine shops are unaware that flywheels have pads for mounting pressure plates and that is very important to maintain the proper distance from the friction surface to the pressure plate mounting surface.

With a new flywheel, you are assured that engagement point is correct. With an improper resurface, you could get everything back together and have the same or new issues. Premature wear, slippage, failure, etc. Not common, but it occurs.

I may get flamed AGAIN for this, but how often do you crack open the tranny? If you are handy and don't mind, by all means resurface your FW. If you are at the mercy of a mechanic, $120 for a new FW vs. $30-60 for a resurface (that may not be 100 percent as good as new), there's not a lot of savings to be had skimping here.

I know every dollar counts, but I'd personally go for the new. If you know of a reputable place or you are a stuggling student, then go with the resurface.

My $.02
Old 04-10-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

here's an exedy OEM replacement flywheel for $110 @ dezod.
http://www.dezod.com/pd-exedy-oem-fl...5-dxlxexhx.cfm

their shipping prices kinda suck, but the coupon code "7thgenhonda" will alleviate a little bit of that. Dezod's a reputable dealer though. I can personally vouch for them.

grand total (including shipping) to my mom's house in northern cali comes out to $133.47
Old 04-11-2012
Registered!!

Thanks all. A new flywheel is going on regardless. For me the cost is negligible, and since the tranny is out, it makes all the sense to throw a new one in. These aren't my younger days where I'm dropping a tranny in an old Chevy truck. FWD cars are a pain, but I'm going to drive this one into the ground.